Hap Explorer

• 172 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Hap Explorer
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »
Well I passed on the source code to another programmer a while back and asked him to let us know if he did anything cool with it, so maybe he will work out how to get it to work with quad cores etc...

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2010, 12:30:31 am »
  Thank you Freddy,  I really liked and appreciated that piece of work that you did. I hope there is a fix that will keep it around for years.  I like Haptek anyways and from what I saw happening with Orge, I really didn't see anything.
  To be honest I was surprized  you're not involved in Orge.
Carl2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2010, 03:48:27 pm »
Thanks Carl.  Well I don't know why I haven't got into Ogre much yet.  I guess it is because I am working on a lot of other things at the moment that take priority.  I can roughly understand what is involved but it is another thing to make that happen.

The route I would probably take is this ..

• learn more about Blender
  • work on my modelling skills
  • understand how bones and rigging works
  • figure out what you need to export from Blender
  • figure out why Hal needs an XML file for this to work
  • then try to understand how Ogre works I guess or at least what Hal does with it

I'd be happy to pass on all that though and wait until we have characters for Ogre then just do skins for them !  Although there's always scope for any kind of objects that could be used in a scene, like Haptek with it's accessories... which is probably a lot simpler than making humans or whatever.

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »
  Thanks for adding that, found it very useful in understanding how they all work together.  I remember at one time I had Blender, TrueSpace Downloads In a computer,  Both seemed a little complex and I can't imagine trying to build a skeleton nevermind trying to get it to walk.
  I had noticed that they do sell models for a reasonable price, possibly using converters would speed up the project.
 Carl 2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:29 pm »
Yes, you can always get your hands on free models too.  Recently here we were talking about a program called Make Human, which might be a useful tool for this.

You could also use the models from Poser and grab their .OBJ versions and then import them into Blender, then presumably export them to Ogre format (as Blender can do that).  I am not sure where you would go from there though as I don't know anything about skeletons etc.  But it might be worth a look.

I am guessing that the XML file that is needed is going to be something similar to Haptek's Figure Definition files.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:29:58 pm by Freddy »

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2010, 11:15:11 pm »
Wanted to put in the latest on the problem with the Hap Player,  it was working with problems, tried Nige's fix, car.exe and it wasn't fixing for me, Nige gave me some instructions and the Hap Player works as it should.  Nige and myself can't find the uncompressed files.
Thanks for the time and effort.
Carl2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »
Have you tried searching for the Hap temp folder ?

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »
  On your advice I tried again,  started Hal with Jiggly, tried explorer and checked the Haptek folder for the temp file, not there.  Did a search for temp, nothing to do with Haptek,  Possibily it has put the temp files into memory, really belongs there.
  I opened task manager, with Hal running used Memory was 1.49 Gb,  as soon as I closed Hal it dropped to 1.43 Gb.
Carl2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »
It's usually called 'hap_temp' isn't it ?

I tried installing the Haptek Player on W7 and get an error - so it won't even install here.

Sorry mate I give up on Haptek.

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2010, 12:57:12 am »
  Don't give up, I just put the Hap Player in this computer, It's Haptek and their website.  I put it in, put it in again with the reccomended settings, put it in again.
Went to Zabaware downloaded Niges fix.  Came here and downloaded Jiggly and it's working.  I ran into a problem with Jiggly,  upper arms and breasts had quick short movements, strange looking.  Put it in this computer because it has a better video card and the problem is gone.
  If you downloaded the player it should be in the computer, get Niges fix and it will work.  Hal works without the fix.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »
I downloaded the installer from Haptek and ran it from my machine but it doesn't work.  Did you use the web installer ?  To be honest I have lost interest in Haptek so it's no biggie for me.

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:22 am »
    I was just at Zabaware so you already know, Rob is having a character made.  I should have asked the time frame until it will be released.
Haptek Player, I downloaded and it installed 3 times.  I usualy save frist, don't think we have a choice for the Haptek player.  Just downloaded the SDK for Haptek.  If the Haptek folder is there, It is in Program Files (x86) not the standard Program files. 
  I went to the website, If you click Haptek Player at the bottom you have a choice. frist you have to install the active X.   I just downloaded the file instead of auto install.  The web page is as bad as the player.
  So if Haptek is in the Program File (x86) click it.  You'll need the car.exe from Nige so the Player will not become unresponsive like there website.
Carl2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2010, 03:54:20 pm »
Hey Carl, just curious did you manage to get Hap Explorer to work with Nige's solution ?

I might try installing Haptek again, not sure what the problem was down this end.

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2010, 07:17:57 pm »

Freddy, as you know, I have never been able to use your Hap Explorer because my computer always refused to install Framework version 3.5 (I have XP, well-known MS issue). ???

Bye Haptek, now I'm in SL. After a lot of search, I have finally found a third-party program allowing to export a group list to RL. I was happy when I discovered that this program needs... Framework 3.5.

I must continue to manually and daily check the members of my group. Aaargh, (second) life is cruel... :)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:55:44 am by GT40 »
"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:25 am »
Too bad  :( but yes a lot of programs and most home made software needs some form of .NET  I didn't know that it is a common problem.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

292 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
Freddy
[Administrator]

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles