Haptek effected by external data

• 6 Replies

jopoly

• Roomba
Haptek effected by external data
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »
Hi everyone  8)

I've been reading this forum for a few days and it seems a really great resource and community. Let me know if Im posting in the wrong place, as I couldn't find a thread on this.

I'm trying to get some variables sent from a program such as MAX/MSP to affect the emotions and maybe the lighting or any other variables of a haptek character, do I need to alter the switches? How do I go about it without using VB, or does anyone know of a script already written? Any quick suggestions, ideas, thoughts or better still solutions would be really great.

Thanks,
jopoly
Everybody is somebody else's weirdo!

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
Re: Haptek effected by external data
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:43:40 pm »
Welcome to the site jopoly.

Cant help myself but sure someone will be along soon with a constructive answer for you :)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:20:25 am »
Sorry I have no idea how you would do that or even if it's possible.  I assume you were thinking of using Max Script ?  You'd have to look into if that can actually communicate with external programs.  You could try emailing Jack at Haptek - their email is on their site.  Best of luck.

jopoly

• Roomba
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 05:59:04 pm »
Hi Maviarab and Freddy,

Thanks for having a think about it. I wanted to use max/msp from cycling74 its like puredata, but anything external from haptek to alter the switches would do. Im now realising that JavaScript & HTML, ActiveX or API / DLL methods are the only way togo, is that right?

So Ive a question that follows on, do you know of anyone that has used external data (not just text or audio streams) to alter the emotional states and lighting?

Also Im aware of the bbc newsreader, are there any other apps that wrap haptek and play external data?

Finally I just want to put two or more characters into a webpage player and have them speak a script, but theatre doesnt seem to help, how do I put two or more characters with lipsync on one html or player page. VF does it in their demos and I think there are a couple of examples around of that?

thanks gd ppl
Everybody is somebody else's weirdo!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:23:31 pm »
Im now realising that JavaScript & HTML, ActiveX or API / DLL methods are the only way togo, is that right?

Yeah pretty much, unless you are a great hacker or something.

So Ive a question that follows on, do you know of anyone that has used external data (not just text or audio streams) to alter the emotional states and lighting?

Not that I can think of - usually it's done by triggering scripts from user text as in the UltraHal program.  If you wanted to get into VB or something like that then you could probably do a lot of other tricks.

Also Im aware of the bbc newsreader, are there any other apps that wrap haptek and play external data?

That's about the only one I can think of, if I remember right that was using RSS feeds - I forget now.

For two or more characters you could do with advice from a member here called GT40 - if you take a look at his profile you should be able to find his posts on the subject.  Otherwise he will probably pop in at some point.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:35:01 pm by Freddy »

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »

Hi and welcome, jopoly. And thanks to Freddy.

I never wrote a tutorial, a "how to have several Haptek characters in a web page" (lol) because all that was experimental and empirical. Just take a look at my site and at the html code of my little skits. If you need some files (like haps), all my Haptek things are in the same folder. So no path problem.

As you can see, I always prefered torso characters for many reasons (ok, they have no legs but they can walk, lol). Then I bought People Putty just for creating different ogg voices for every character (a few skits in stereo).

I have had a lot of fun with that but now it's an old story. Modern computers can't read webpages with a Haptek content (with the default settings). So I made some YouTube captures, every computer can read them. Tell me if you need explanations. Not sure I will have the good answer but I promise to try. :)

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 06:01:25 pm »
Thanks GT, what this place is all about :)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

286 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles