My Human Augmentation project [Ideas]

• 7 Replies

Mr.Fox

• Bumblebee
    • Dreamwalker Software
My Human Augmentation project [Ideas]
« on: April 04, 2016, 05:51:02 pm »
Hello ladies and germs,

So, I don't want people moaning about morals/ethics etc, this is purely from an interest/educational point of view. Now, I am no master of robotics by any means, I've built some basic things like a two wheeler robot (two geared motors, servo motor, with IR and photoresistor sensors and other components with done some basic scripting). Recently I got an arduino uno board and have been playing with other stuff, like AI scripting using IR sensors, MIC sound sensors, LCD plasma screen etc... but I'm by no means an expert, though, I have the thive to learn and research.

But I've been throwing ideas in my head about creating a human augmentation/enhancement project. I started thinking of things like a coil gun, EMP projectors etc. But I realised these are already done probably much better than I could ever do, and the latter, is, well just dangerous and also not really an enhancement. Then I started thinking of different things like robotic arms/limbs, hearing aids and generally technology that aids/advances a person.

So, to keep things managable and realistic to my abilities I've started aiming low. Like, advanced hearing aid type thing, different vision modes with glasses, electric shock device for defence, a special glove that does something cool, an RFID scanner/searcher, I dunno I've got lots of stuff in my head - so wanted to try and get some ideas and I can put my own spin on them.

P.S

I also recently found an interesting thread about RFID implants which I thought about years ago, but the main key is while this is pretty much safe, you'd need practical uses for it.
http://hackaday.com/2015/10/12/cyberpunk-yourself-body-modification-augmentation-and-grinders/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:14:46 pm by Mr.Fox »

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
Re: My Human Augmentation project [Ideas]
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:32:27 am »
Hi Fox

What about a simple vision system for the blind.  I don’t recall seeing anything like this.

Use a cam to get the scene and run the video stream through a line filter so just the outlines in the scene are prominent.

Deign a large Braille pad that can be strapped to the forehead, back, arm, thigh, etc. or perhaps a belt, try and keep the spatial aspects of the Braille image relevant to the users ‘real world’ experience.

Small solenoids, air sacks, etc could be used for the prototype.

I'm sure brain plasticity would soon adjust sensitivity in the selected region to the Braille pad.  You would have to experiment and I'm sure you would have no shortage of volunteers.

Design it to be light weight and portable with the cam on a pair of glasses or a shoulder/ hat mount.  You could even give zoom, clarity (adjust line algorithm threshold) through a hand held or belt mounted controller.

Anything must be better than nothing if you’re totally blind.  :)

Edit: Even a single line of Braille vision from a horizontal scan from the camera could be interpreted by moving the head with a head mounted cam. The line of Braille actuators could be in the rim of the headband for the cam.

It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Mr.Fox

• Bumblebee
    • Dreamwalker Software
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:51:17 am »
Hi Fox

What about a simple vision system for the blind.  I don’t recall seeing anything like this.

Use a cam to get the scene and run the video stream through a line filter so just the outlines in the scene are prominent.

Deign a large Braille pad that can be strapped to the forehead, back, arm, thigh, etc. or perhaps a belt, try and keep the spatial aspects of the Braille image relevant to the users ‘real world’ experience.

I'm sure brain plasticity would soon adjust sensitivity in the selected region to the Braille pad.  You would have to experiment and I'm sure you would have no shortage of volunteers.

Design it to be light weight and portable with the cam on a pair of glasses or a shoulder/ hat mount.  You could even give zoom, clarity (adjust line algorithm threshold) through a hand held or belt mounted controller.

Anything must be better than nothing if you’re totally blind.  :)

Edit: Even a single line of Braille vision from a horizontal scan from the camera could be interpreted by moving the head with a head mounted cam. The line of Braille actuators could be in the rim of the headband for the cam.

Very interesting, but possibly a lot harder than what you might think

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:30:49 pm »
I had posted some replies but removed them.

I have this really bad habit of taking over other peoples threads. 

Edit: If you do decide to persue this idea then I have some techniques that could help. :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:32:34 pm by korrelan »

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:43:26 pm »
Did you see the new MS glasses for blind people ?

http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10332.msg39772#msg39772

Right at the end.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »
Really cool MS glasses.  Don't ya just love technology! :)

Mr.Fox

• Bumblebee
    • Dreamwalker Software
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:18 pm »
What God takes away, science and technology give back ;)

neuronet

• Roomba
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 02:33:55 pm »
Hi Fox

Look up 'sensory substitution systems' this has been done since the 1960s starting with bach y rita a visual to tactile sensory substitution system just like you described, with visual movie projected to 20x20 array of vibrotactile actuators on the back of congenitally blind subjects...A ton of research has been done on this.

So, good idea, and just b/c it has been done doesn't mean you shouldn't work on it. But don't reinvent the wheel, I recommend start with bach y rita (google with 'sensory substitution') and go from there.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

320 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles