Project Thread: building Blinky

• 125 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Re: Project Thread: building Blinky
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2022, 01:14:52 am »
That would be really awesome if you could accomplish something like that. I've seen drones that fly and go in the water. I've seen drones that can fly and roll on land. I haven't seen any designs that could do all three though. I have one suggestion; have you thought of experimenting with whegs instead of wheels?

Thanks, I was quite pleased to have figured that one out, at least in theory. Yup, I didn't know what they were called but I've considered the same type of idea as whegs. Maybe I'll reconsider, but these also have to be airfoils/props, so I'll have to find a happy medium. Currently, I think wheels will be more structurally stable and make for a smoother ride; helping with safety and reliability, (which now seems really important because I'm actually making these). Plus these types of wheels might actually decrease the weight requirement, think of a bicycle wheel, it's a very stable construction (like a bridge or something like that), it doesn't require much in the way of materials. I also wanted to test out whether treads would function like golfball dimples, (yeah, it probably won't affect the performance that much but I'm curious to see what the effects will be).

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2022, 02:57:59 am »
Yeah, if you do wheels then the rim can also function as a blade guard. Whegs wouldn't play as well with co-mounted propellers. (And propeller blades themselves are not great load-bearing structures, usually.)

MagnusWootton

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2022, 10:58:23 am »
being fully offroad is very important,   you need to:

* traverse up and down stairs
    * go through long grass, and other soft body material, like snow.
    * you need to be able to right yourself when you tip over.
    * swimming and flying is really good, if u can fly it gets over alot of problems by itself.

you dont want to be stuck in disabled only zones, like cars are!!    O0

Being powerful enough to fly is just a matter of enough amps,  but I guess further design could drop the requirement,  but if you want little wings/rotors they need to flap/spin furiously! =)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:49:30 pm by MagnusWootton »

OllieGee

• Nomad
    • The ultimate frequency blog
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2022, 09:29:32 pm »
Well hello HS my old friend...
This looks like you have clearly put a lot of thought into this project. I haven't delved too deep into your designs yet but I see you mention you are using an arduino board (like a raspberry pi board I'm guessing) for the CPU. Are you planning on using or creating any code for this? I have basic Python skills and would be very keen to see what commands you are thinking of using for its movement. Please do share any videos of anything worth showing...
Well done on this achievement as I say, you have clearly thought about this and I think it could go somewhere at least as AI research algorithms which could be built upon. Kudos to you HS!

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2022, 01:33:06 am »
Hello again, OllieGee, glad you're back!  I'll be sure to post an update if I accomplish anything milestone-ish. Yes, I'm considering using an Arduino or similar to test what the robot can do, then once the design is good enough I'll try introducing some AI elements of my own design. The process may take a while since I don't know how to code yet, but I've given myself until the end of the year to make a proof-of-concept prototype, that seems like enough time, and if it isn't, then it'll be an adventure! Thanks for the encouragement.

OllieGee

• Nomad
    • The ultimate frequency blog
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2022, 11:12:08 am »
Can’t wait to see any outputs for this HS. I’d also be happy to feedback on any stage gate milestones if you like!