robo design thoughts

• 14 Replies

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
robo design thoughts
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »

Im thinking maybe its too heavy lookin', but you need to protect internals, so theres weight involved in defence, but the more weight is automatically more offensive! so i was wondering maybe it has to pull its punches.
Its a quad mirror,  and its going to have a separate engine on each quarter.   and itll pump up its electron power as its powers its legs,  like a car.

Still doesnt appeal to me, design wise,  But I only just threw it together.  One tip for doing a quick mech model, is do it with cubes...  and then just lathe the shape into em.   But go in at arbitrary angles,  not just 90 degree ones.

Oh yeh,  and the other thing is ITS SO DAMN NOISEY!  as well.  so thats why electric motors are better in a way, because they make less noise.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
Re: robo design thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 01:12:06 pm »

How does a powered joint work?

rottjung

• Roomba
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 01:33:54 pm »
looks cool.
ever thought about doing a spherical one, no need for legs then  ;)

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 01:50:13 pm »
Its pretty much just a desktop computer laying sideways with legs hehe.

Talking about spheres heres a sphere joint->

Yes, I had a dream about a floating sphere,  the cool thing about it - is maybe it could make its behaviours "mirror themselves" because its symmetrical at angles.  :)

It could somewhat disturbing watching the contortions of the bot having all spherical joints,  but it gives the robot more freedom...  and possibly its more closer to an insect that way -  all the robots i saw were all stuck in restriction,  so i actually the whole thing all 3d joints.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 02:37:48 pm »
Some more tech notes (3d ball joints added to model)- I guess the cool thing I can definitely do the virtual sim with a proper model - piece of cake.

A ball joint probably is really easy to protect!!  The hardest thing to secure on the robot is the freaking cameras!  We have a pin hole shield design going,  but we definitely need LOTS OF THEM.  They might get picked off by snipers.

You actually want to put the cameras where the eyes WOULDNT be.  So they got no idea when theyre aiming at it.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 03:08:57 pm »
You could put a little arm at its back. So when you ask it for direction, it can show the way :)

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »
*love!!!*

About 1.5 m^2 area, Started off a tin can with skinny legs, now his legs are fat at top, pinhole secuity shield on the sensors front and side, and 3 shell shielding universal joints, with compound electro magnet positioning. quad kaliedoscope design. (like the tie fighter from star wars.)

Computer in the centre, will get clear schock gooped solid.  I want it sledge hammer proof,  ill have to go find a white giant and hell give it the hammer resistance test.

And it all gets a safety rubber coating at the end.

Im not totally sure how the joints will work completely,  but also the power source is not discussed yet,  because hes no good just plugged into the wall.
And communicating with the computer inside also,  for reconnaisance.   I think there will be one power source per leg, but its not thought through yet.

Computer - cameras& microphones - ball joint - powersource.   That should be it.

1. MAGNET BATTERY CHARGE AND RECHARGE SYSTEM.  ON EVERY CORNER.

2. THE FULL JOINT DESIGN TAKING INTO ACCOUNT AMPLIFICATION AND PARALLELIZATION FROM THE COMPUTER.

then that should be it! get on with the software its harder!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:47:40 pm by ranch vermin »

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 07:01:25 pm »
Heres an underneath shot so you can see the mainboard in it, and get an idea of the scale of it.

An x86 with legs or a piece of giger art?

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 07:05:28 pm »
Great project to undertake  8)

Are you thinking of having the parts 3D printed ?

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »
Thanks for taking a peak.

I spose I could,  but this actually is meant to be a warrior.  So 3d printing looks professional,  but unless youre coming out of a lava furnace it probably isnt strong and too brittle.

I was thinking slapping together steel rods/bats because they can take a beating and bend, still retain most the shape, as aposed to just splitting in half after a huge hit.   

The joints will have a clevor 3 layer shielding,  but if it bends, then it may make the joint useless.   I have to think more.

The joint design requires lots of electromagnetic coils,  Ill be there a week just winding wires around iron for it.  And you cant print those out ordinarily.

There will be some solution,  unless someone knocks me over the head before I get there.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 09:42:23 pm »
Sweet design... but...

Unless you have a machine as physically capable/ agile as a dog, cat or cheetah... six legs will be way faster than four, a four leg design can only move one leg at once.

Six also offers greater stability because three legs (tripod) are always in contact with terrain whilst walking... and six also offers ability to rock back on back four legs and use two front legs as manipulators or weapons.

Pinhole shielding...excellent, 360 deg or scanning slam. Perhaps also a drone it launches from it's back for an fast pursuit ariel view.  Target acquisition can be gleaned from forward camera with vectors cross referenced from above.  Ariel will also give edge when engaging multiple targets or targets at distance.

Legs need shocks... at 2m square it's gonna weigh quite a bit, running or dropping on target from height... gonna need shocks.

Battery should have supplementary super capacitor bank for high speed spurts against prey or for avoidance.

Brush-less motor winch servos will be fine for prototyping but electric hydraulics for the win, you want it able to open a car like its tin foil.

As far as weapons... tazers to pacify, retractable 20" spikes on front legs with 12 gauge's as a finisher, harpoon with winch for serious work... if the harpoon doesn't kill the target the winch drags them into a multiple chainsaw/ mandible arrangement... Bzzzzzzzzzz... cool.

For control... spiking neural net cortex, trained to above human level intelligence, and then subjected to mental trauma during military/ aggressor training phase... would have lightning reflexes and would guarantee a bad a$$ attitude.

Oh! and a long range remote on/ off switch... wouldn't want to be near that puppy on power up.

Nice project :)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 09:53:26 pm »
Sweet design... but...

Unless you have a machine as physically capable/ agile as a dog, cat or cheetah... six legs will be way faster than four, a four leg design can only move one leg at once.

Six also offers greater stability because three legs (tripod) are always in contact with terrain whilst walking... and six also offers ability to rock back on back four legs and use two front legs as manipulators or weapons.

Pinhole shielding...excellent, 360 deg or scanning slam. Perhaps also a drone it launches from it's back for an fast pursuit ariel view.  Target acquisition can be gleaned from forward camera with vectors cross referenced from above.  Ariel will also give edge when engaging multiple targets or targets at distance.

Legs need shocks... at 2m square it's gonna weigh quite a bit, running or dropping on target from height... gonna need shocks.

Battery should have supplementary super capacitor bank for high speed spurts against prey or for avoidance.

Brush-less motor winch servos will be fine for prototyping but electric hydraulics for the win, you want it able to open a car like its tin foil.

As far as weapons... tazers to pacify, retractable 20" spikes on front legs with 12 gauge's as a finisher, harpoon with winch for serious work... if the harpoon doesn't kill the target the winch drags them into a multiple chainsaw/ mandible arrangement... Bzzzzzzzzzz... cool.

For control... spiking neural net cortex, trained to above human level intelligence, and then subjected to mental trauma during military/ aggressor training phase... would have lightning reflexes and would guarantee a bad a$$ attitude.

Oh! and a long range remote on/ off switch... wouldn't want to be near that puppy on power up.

Nice project :)

4 legs bad? Thats only if your looking at current motion for robots recently, (like you said...)  a dog only has 4 legs and pisses along.  especially on nearby tree trunks. hehe.       

I have bigger plans than the stuff out there... This thing is gonna dodge missiles - do or die.

The motors are going to be home grown and have a 'brush' sorta but its only a little 4 wire tooth brush.     

Im thinking about giving it shock absorbers on its legs,  even feedback to the sensory model with them, but im kinda worried about the noise involved of having pogo sticks for legs.  I want this thing to be good at sneaking around too.

Im not sure about the power source either,  but maybe you can plug it into the wall as well.

And just so you know im not a complete crazy bastard,  its going to be defence only,  shouldnt hurt a fly.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »
The joint is slowly evolving,  its still quite primitive.  I wouldve thought the natzis would have had similar stuff.  but the world seems to not give a shit and lie about how dumb their technology was and how useless Hitlers painting was.  :P
History is written by whoever wants to lie about it.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:50:36 am »
If that thing protects me by killing someone... I'm telling you, I'D RATHER DIE!!!

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 02:38:12 am »
Ivan, it warms my heart how you say such beautiful things.   Of course my friend,  its only friendly electric shocks and pinning down until the cops come,  otherwise id go to jail for sure.  Do you really think the law makes that much sense to know I was in the right?  Only being convincing you can get away with things, and im too stupidly honest to ever get away with manipulating people.  (Thats also what makes a good guy a good guy.)

I think ill just pack it with most loudest smoke alarm there is,  and make it jump around aggressively, and thatll be the end ofit - unless he thinks hes good when he isnt.

So its defence mode only,  you cant trust the authorities to make the right decision in a dodgy circumstance, even if you are in the right. 

IVE GOT A PROBLEM!
MY JOINTS ARENT SHIELDED PROPERLY.   when they rotate they leave behind gaps...  if someone gets a hammer into there its straight onto the compound electro-magnet coils... geeze I have to think about this again.

I need one more thing,  but im going to keep it a secret.  people might start thinking im good and make a million monkeys out of the tip of my index finger. 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:35:08 am by ranch vermin »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

245 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles