StrongAI: EvolutionaryCompute

• 2 Replies

djchapm

• Trusty Member
  • Bumblebee
StrongAI: EvolutionaryCompute
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
Next Big Future had a post today on the Singularity:
  - http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/03/will-singularity-artificial-general.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2Fadvancednano+%28nextbigfuture%29

From here - I was reading one of the links on true AGI:
http://www.evolutionarycompute.com/background.html

Here's a piece of it I liked, though the whole read is pretty fun:

Artificial Life is the key to building hard Artificial Intelligence

The problem with general intelligence is we were originally attempting to model/create a _human_ intelligence in order to pass the Turing Test.  But humans aren't the only beings capable of reasoning, using tools, and if you have a pet- you will likely believe that your pet has a fairly similar way of experiencing the world to us humans.  Maybe human intelligence isn't a good _starting place_ for generic intelligence as much as animal intelligence.  And I'm not talking about the other primates, I am talking _lower_ organisms, possibly even single-cell organisms.  Granted, these organisms probably have a very different idea of "qualia" than we humans do (or none whatsoever, possibly.); they do adapt to their environment, evolve (and I will qualify that very soon), and compete for limited resources.  According to Chris Adami's ALife text book (there are only 1 or 2 in existance: last time I checked Adami's was the best) there are only 3 things a "universe" (or smaller system) must have in order to evolve living systems.

The capacity for a genetic substrate [the primordial soup had all the precursor molecules for this]
Variation (mutation and the mixing of genes in sexual reproduction both do this)
A selection mechanism, whether implicit (like: whether we survive long enough to have kids or not) or explicit (like: whether you perform some task that needs done.)  The competition for limited resources is a great selection mechanism, but its not the only way things die off, so its not the only selection mechanism in most systems.

Both Tom Ray and Karl Simms used these three "forces" to evolve digital life on their computers.  We call it "Artificial Life" and I think it is the key to developing Strong Artificial Intelligence.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:28:22 pm by djchapm »

djchapm

• Trusty Member
  • Bumblebee
Re: StrongAI: EvolutionaryCompute
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »
sorry typo'd the second url... fixed.

dito00

• Roomba
Re: StrongAI: EvolutionaryCompute
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:41:04 pm »
If you use evolution-mimicing software, you won't learn to understand intelligence. Life is a product of intelligence.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

242 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 291. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles