• 4 Replies

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
Vice (2015)
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:25:05 pm »
I did a review for this a couple of weeks back, thought would post here as well.  Will copy all my AI related film reviews here also if you guys would like.
========================

Director: Brian A Miller
Stars: Thomas Jane, Bruce Willis, Ambyr Childers

With a budget of only ten million, one wonders how much of that was swallowed up by Willis and his ridiculous fees (leaving very little for the actual film to be made).  Someone really should tell him that his days are rapidly approaching.  Ok, Roy (Thomas Jane) is a cop who dislikes the 'theme-park' attraction called Vice run by Julian (Willis).

Julian created a world where anyone can go and live out their fantasies with artificials, free of the law and repercussions.  Unfortunately some of these people drag this fantasy into the real world and this is why Roy is determined to shut the place down.  It also seems as though it's mainly men who act out these fantasies against the female artificials.  Not sure if there is some allegory there about society or not.  Maybe that line of thinking is too intelligent for this film, who knows though?

Anyway, being based on Michael Crichton's novel, and this being a brainless love-child of Westworld and Surrogates, we get a ghost in the machine, or more specifically, in Kelly (Childers).  Kelly goes on the run...and runs, and runs, and runs....and is chased, and chased, and chased...through fake fog...and more fake fog...and you get the idea folks.  The film is so slow-paced, despite it trying to excite with gun fights.  Oh yes, the gun fights.  I think all the bad guys are the same actors who play stormtroopers.  Nuff said there.

The plot is dire, the action is no better and neither is the direction.  Willis dials his lines in (as he usually does these days) and Jane just seems to sleepwalk through it the best he can.  Childers is passable with what she is given to work with.  The only redeeming features are that the photography and production values are actually half-decent, but even those can't help balance what is a pretty bad and dull film.  One to pass, unless you like seeing Willis turn up purely for a paycheck.

The Sage's Rating: 3/10

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Vice (2015)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:25:17 pm »
Thanks Mav, yes I would be keen to see the reviews, thanks.

Drop a link to your page in your posts too so you get some hits.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:55:10 am »
Agreed...it does sound quite interesting and the working link to a video trailer or demo would be appreciated and well received.

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »
Alrighty guys will and can do.  In the case of existing threads (Automata for example, which I loved), do you want me to make a new thread or use the existing one?

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:17:14 pm »
I think as it's a fresh review there is nothing wrong with starting a new thread if you see fit.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

265 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles