List of the best threads on this board [Member suggestions].

• 10 Replies

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
List of the best threads on this board [Member suggestions].
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:06:09 pm »
There's an enormous amount of fascinating stuff that's been posted on this board over the years, and unfortunately there's even more that is just pure rubbish. I was wondering if folks would like to contribute their suggestions as to which threads, or particular posts, are most worth reading (or rereading). It would also be good to review the progress of any projects that showed great promise once, and see where they are at now. I'm sorry to suggest it, but we probably should also have a thread for the worst posts ever, as a warning to others. :D

Edit: Please do not promote your own posts.
If nobody else is willing to suggest it, then it obviously doesn't belong here.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:09:40 pm by Freddy »

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: List of the best threads on this board.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:21:28 pm »
It's a good idea. There is a lot of rubbish, I do delete some if it from time to time. Only so many hours in the day though...

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 01:48:39 am »
Wait, let me get them.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:36:57 pm »
It would also be good to review the progress of any projects that showed great promise once, and see where they are at now.

EmoSpark

EmoSpark seemed to have trouble getting going but for a short time appeared like it might succeed. Today though, I found that they have turned off their servers and are looking for a buyer. They say lack of major investment was the root of the problem. Their website no longer connects, but you can see the announcement here :

https://www.facebook.com/EmoSparkCommunity/

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:58:48 pm »
EmoSpark
https://www.facebook.com/EmoSparkCommunity/

Thanks Freddy that was a fascinating read. It's a shame the main website is gone but it was very interesting and informative to go back to the start of the EmoSparkCommunity and read the comments as the project came unravelled.

Having been a lowly worker involved in similarly ill-conceived and mismanaged projects in the past, it was fairly obvious to me that the whole thing was based on a plan not unlike the vague piece of rubbish that Locksuit has been pestering us about lately. Hey guys, let's sell lots of fancy boxes with blinken lights! Somewhere between taking people's money and the inevitable lawsuits, our tiny underfunded group will be able to solve all the problems that the best minds in the world have not yet solved after 60 years of research and trillions of dollars.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:45:07 pm »
Listing the Best threads is a subjective task at best and an exercise in futility at worse.

It's akin to asking a group of people "Which is the best breed of dog or cat?"
Which is the best race of people?  Which is the best color? Which is the best wine?

Nice thought but other than blatant rubbish and nonsensical BS, I think the assorted collection of threads, no matter how fantastic or far out, help and have helped define this site to the respected and fun position it current enjoys and has.

Of course, this is my take for what it's worth. Others will have theirs as well.
Good day!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »
You are quite right Art and that is precisely why I asked the question. Although I've been combing through past posts myself looking for interesting ones, there are too many to read them all, however I posed the question above because I am genuinely interested to know which posts the people using this forum think are interesting. I am hoping it will reveal a lot about the people who respond.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 03:03:43 pm »
Quite obviously, the ones to which they responded. Good bad or indifferent, it is what it is.
There are posts made to which I have strong opinion but choose not to post a response.
1. I realize that my opinion might vastly differ from the original poster and cause some friction.
2. My post might piss off a lot of other people who either have "thin skin" or a different view than mine.
3. The original post might have offended my delicate nature or something as heinous.
4. I think the poster's remarks are purely rubbish, nonsense, crude and without thought.
5. Some people just post crap in order to get their post count high, as if there was a prize for doing so. (which there isn't).

OK...Feel free to roam, read and absorb any and all you can...that is, if you have that much free time and nothing else worth doing. O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20:56 am »
I think the best posts are going to be from before 2015, because there has been an awful lot of theory and philosophy lately, that never lead to anything in practice.
I find The Athena Project one of the more interesting threads because it is actually in development. http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5842.0#.WBb3fyRw8l0

I suppose if you wanted to categorise types of threads, all you really have to do is look at length and date. If it's 11 pages long in a short time span, it's a crackpot rant. If it's 3 pages long in a short time span, it's a failed project or a successful startup or an interesting discussion. If it's 11 pages long and spans years, it's a stable project that may just get somewhere.
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 03:01:10 am »
Paphus has been making some great progress in the world of chatbots, so I'd suggest looking at some of his threads if that's of interest to anyone.

This I think is the most recent one : http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11597.0

Anyone not familiar with the board; click on his name and view his posts - there are a few of them.

Made this topic sticky btw.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: List of the best threads on this board [Member suggestions].
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 05:01:41 pm »
Don, assuming the goal is to not create one incredible opening post but rather a thread of pages that has developed, then when you stated the slow-joe is non-crackpot, what if a super intelligence creates a thread that becomes that many pages faster :)? There's no proof to say "a fast thread is a bad one".

In fact, the slow ones are not being replied to daily, while the fast ones are at a speed any other thread is at if people reply daily.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

264 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
8pla.net
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles