Anybody built any Androids yet ?

• 86 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Anybody built any Androids yet ?
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 04:02:10 pm »
I prefer to not call it conscious/self-aware lol.....just call it a robot reaction like a rock falling off a hill or dishwasher. Just call us a machine robot particles reactions.

I don't disagree that we are biological machines. An arm is a lever.

And yes everything is made of particles, atoms etc... basic physics.

Humans are humans. Robots are robots. It's simpler to differentiate them in casual conversation despite some similarities.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 04:17:06 pm »
Just call us a machine robot particles reactions.

Okay, so a machine robot particle reaction went into a bar.

The barman looked up and said "Is this some kind of joke ?".

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 04:28:30 pm »
Not joking you.

All is particles, me, my room. Particles work by physics.

While we seem complex it is just a globious of particles, all, playing out. If you recognize then you operate. You are fooled without knowing it.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2016, 05:05:03 pm »
Umm, no one is saying we are not made of particles. For some reason you keep repeating this notion again and again.

Humans are a complex system of particles.

Have you ever heard the saying "More than the sum of it's parts" ?

You are fooled without knowing it.

There you go again. Most of us learnt that the world is made of particles in first year Physics - it's not new Locksuit. Really.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2016, 05:48:09 pm »
I missed your 1st reply out of your 2 replies. Sorry I purged it/repeated.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2016, 05:54:51 pm »
No problem. Sorry I woke up in a bad mood today, nothing personal, didn't sleep well... :uglystupid2:

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:44 am »
Any of you English folks hear of Daniel Temmet? You should check him out if not.

Daniel sees numbers as shapes, colours and textures and can perform extraordinary maths in his head. He can also learn to speak a language fluently from scratch in a week. He has Savant Syndrome, an extremely rare form of Asperger's that gives him almost unimaginable mental powers.

Quite an interesting and gifted fellow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Tammet

I knew there was something I saw this morning that I meant to comment on.

No I had not, thanks. From the Wikipedia page I found there is a documentary about him. I found it on YouTube, not sure if it is accessible by all though.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2016, 02:19:18 am »
This is not about Particles nor Particle Physics...it's about Self Aware and the possibility of constructing an operating Android or Humanoid or Machanoid that is able to "think" for itself. That it is or could be Aware that it exists or in that vein, that it is an object with a goal or mission to perform or live out under an initial set of rules. Some could be self directed and others could be follow the line as best you can without too much deviation, according to the programming.

@ jlsilicon - I sort of have to disagree with: "If you close your Eyes, your Hearing Sensitivity is increased.
If you cover your Ears, your Eyes can distinguish more."

This is not quite the case as I have had friends who were blind and others who were deaf. Their other senses were not "increased nor heightened", they simply relied more on the remaining senses that they had. But your context is noted and understood.

Most have seen the TV series, HUMANS, which I thought was pretty nicely done but these were a unique group of "service" bots that had actually become "self aware". They knew this but pretended that they were still a normal, run-of-the-mill service android, doing their daily tasks.

Hopefully, if we ever get to that state, there should be some type of check and balance built in to the bot that would sync or check in on a regular basis to verify that all was in proper working order. (unless the bots become smart enough to bypass that). Who knows.

The future is going to be very interesting indeed and it's coming to an Android near you!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2016, 10:51:30 am »
@Freddy & Art

Cool documentary. I’d not seen that one though I had heard of Mr. Temmet… very inspirational guy… from both a personal and research perspective.

@ jlsilicon

If you cover your Ears, your Eyes can distinguish more.

There are many studied and documented examples of this type of behaviour. Some people when asked a memory intensive question will look up to the side, some defocus their vision and stare into the distance for a few seconds, some close their eyes.  Some, especially males will turn the radio off in the car when concentrating on a particularly complex piece of driving; like route tracking/ finding. Mostly a person will either freeze/ pause or slowdown their actions if they are performing a complex mental task; all these ‘shows’ are examples of us limiting the neural ‘noise/ pattern’ enabling us to focus on the question at hand. True human ‘multitasking’ is a fallacy; especially if two tasks require the use of similar brain regions. For people born with a sensory deficit ie blindness, it has been shown (I’ll find research articles) that reading brail utilizes areas of the brain normally tasked to visual spatial awareness, etc.

Edit: I’ll add my reasoning on how this works. It’s basically a miss understanding by academia of how the brain processes information. We humans love to categorize areas and give them specific names; our machines to date have been based on… one specific mechanism does one specific job.  I think in the brain all cortex areas receive a combined watered down version of all sensory input from all senses. Each area does semi-specialize in recognising traits of the overall sensory pattern by extracting the relevant facets based on the qualities of the data. The location/ termination of white matter tracts supplying sensory data does effectively sway/ tune some areas towards a particular facet of the sensory stream but overall it’s an all too all connectome. So when a blind person is shown to be utilizing a visual area for tactile processing it’s not that the brain has re-directed the sensory stimulus; it’s just that the area is processing what ever is left available in the global sensory pattern.

Using this reasoning is easier to understand how Mr. Temmets savantism works. The average human will have a number understanding based on learned logic from schooling, etc. Mr Temmet is processing numbers with the help of his visual/ location (problem solution landscapes) awareness etc… he’s integrated numbers/ math into a lot more brain areas than you or I, and is able to lever/ utilise the strengths of those areas against math problems. Numbers and math are engrained into his general consciousness… his whole brain is adept at math, everything he sees, feels or experiences has an element of math.

@Lock

I prefer to not call it conscious/self-aware lol.....just call it a robot reaction like a rock falling off a hill or dishwasher. Just call us a machine robot particles reactions.

You can call it anything you like… but I think you are wrong. Consciousness and self aware are collective terms that describe a complex range of phenomenon that arise in or brains.

Simplification of a topic has its uses but not to the point where you loose the resolution of the problem space; hoping/ saying something is simple does not make it so.

:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:25:47 pm by korrelan »
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2016, 04:34:00 pm »
Not saying it's simple korrelan, just that when you see me in my room acting "conscious" or "aware", it is da AI.

Mm, korrelan, you know, when I answer math questions it is by the external sensory input searching and selecting a stored image or sound and linking to other senses and the actions on the other side. It is already visual. And doesn't matter how many areas hold say images of numbers - the search only selects one image and one set of motor actions. This is not a calculator. But can speak/write the answers.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2016, 09:14:02 pm »
Sounds like you have it all sorted out.

I look forward to seeing the system in action.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2016, 07:31:37 pm »
Some good timing here to answer the original question :

Tony Ellis and his robots : http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11682

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

225 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 282. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles