Air-Gapped

• 11 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Air-Gapped
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:38:30 pm »
Not familiar with that term? Ever wish you had a computer where you could do your confidential work, writing, research notes, personal memoirs, etc.? Well if you had an "Air-Gapped" computer, you could.

In fact an Air-Gapped computer is one that is NOT connected to the Internet and doesn't rely on any other connected device or connection to the Internet.

So, you figure, just don't hook your computer to the Internet and THAT computer will be safe...right? Well, for the most part, yes, but there are some other possibilities that just might curl your hair (if it isn't already curly).  ;) Especially when you read through the article and come across the distance topic.

https://www.wired.com/2014/12/hacker-lexicon-air-gap/

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
Re: Air-Gapped
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 03:27:34 am »
 I remmber a time when air gap was the norm. When connection to the internet was sparse. Back in the old days.
 Now you have to connected. Because if there is problem with any software you have to google. Software providers are getting lazy.
The old day software stood on it own. But if you had glich you had to reuturn the software walk in store.
 I am sure there spy ware that record what files are used during air gap time. Then the criminal software goes after it?????   

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:08:19 pm »
Yes, ever notice when you turn off your computer to go away for a period of days to a week / weeks, then come back home and turn the computer on, how long it takes to finally come up but then you can hear the drives (not SSD) running and processing all those missed updates coming in.
It begins processing and sort the updates so that they all get a turn.

Many years ago when I was about to get cable Internet, the tech / installer guy said, "Oh yes, be sure to leave everything on. You don't have to turn anything off."
Which, at the time, I thought a bit odd, being raised to help conserve electricity, now being told to leave stuff plugged in and on even if I'm not using it.

My, how things have changed.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:54:03 pm »
All my computers are ‘air gapped’ apart from this one I only use specifically for internet access.  I run a custom version of XP on the isolated machines that provide higher program cycle speeds so no security updates are available anyway.  All my data is backed up an external drive array and then disconnected from the ‘air gapped’ cluster… you can never be too careful lol.

Some broadband/ DSL/ Fibre modems require to be left on constantly because of an algorithm they use (DLM) to ‘improve’ your connection speeds. If you do switch your modem off make sure you use the switch provided, this sends a short pulse/ signal to the exchange informing it that the modem is being turned off.  Otherwise the exchange will interoperate the disconnection as line noise and drop your connection speeds gradually.  Only the modem/ router needs leaving on.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
What's the worst that could happen?

People being murdered with laser guns specially designed by...   ?

An evil child breaking out of...   ?
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:48:05 pm »
When all is said and done, I'll go back home... offline, disconnected, far from all this crazy queenless hive.

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »

Elon Musk is working on a brain interface. It read the brains "brain waves". At most is will be noninvasive brain cap for
outputting and a VR goggles for inputting. To be mobile it will work through advance cell phone. 
 Today people and companies life are on these machines! 
 As we progress into the future , cell phone set up will merge with the flesh. Just as mitochondria merged into the cell. Mitochondria
was taken form a parasitic cell long time ago. During the time when primitive single cell life was the only thing on earth.

So is going borg happen in a air gap?

When duck fly south for the winter the fly for 30 day straight. One side of the brain sleeps and the other awake.
 When the human brain sleep the a super powerful cell phone take over?
 There may be a time when human life will become more dependent on the machine brain to be super human. AS long
as computer brain are hackable the organic brain will be needed. 

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 04:03:55 pm »
As long as the puny human's body lasts and doesn't break down. Everything pretty much has a failure rate / cycle built in. Cars, refrigerators, microwaves, light bulbs, people (except they, for the most part, don't have an Expiration Date). - The comedian, Steven Wright once said, "I was looking at my Birth Certificate...Found an Expiration Date!"

Point is, brain enhanced, body enhanced and parts changed out as they fail, pretty soon it's not that same, original person any longer. At which point is he or her not their original self and how do we address that issue?

Curiouser and curiouser....

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 04:32:23 pm »

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »
Point is, brain enhanced, body enhanced and parts changed out as they fail, pretty soon it's not that same, original person any longer. At which point is he or her not their original self and how do we address that issue?

Robocop (2014) isn't a super giga great movie, but it tries to answer this question: when you start replacing human parts by enhanced machine parts, progressively, when does it stop being human?

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:17:20 pm »

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 04:56:59 pm »

Robocop (2014) isn't a super giga great movie, but it tries to answer this question: when you start replacing human parts by enhanced machine parts, progressively, when does it stop being human?

I read an interesting article today in line with the statement, "At which point does an A.I. become more than just computer code or if in the case of an android or other more human-like form, become its own being or entity?"

With that being said, at which point does it obtain rights or should it?

If emotional responses / feelings, logic, reason and humor were given to IBM's WATSON and it was allowed to have the entire Internet and vast stores of memory / storage at its disposal, what would it become? The smartest entity or being on the planet?

What then would it think of us...humans?

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

302 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 320. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles