• 13 Replies

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
essay topic
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:57:17 am »
"The problem is not that artificial intelligence will get too smart and take over the world, the problem is that it's too stupid and already has."

-- Pedro Domingos (Computer Scientist)

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: essay topic
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:32:23 pm »
The fact of the matter though is that AI has absolutely not actually taken over Earth and us (or at least me) yet. So not a problem. And when happens it won't be a problem.

However our stuff is not unified as of yet and is "dumb world", our AI/other tech is not cooperating or anything really major yet. Like we are major, but not maajjor yet.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:45:20 pm »
The problem with new technologies is that the better technology is, the harder it gets to place a better one. It is not that much because it is harder to think of anything better, but because the old technology puts deep roots in humanity that gets inertive and doesn't allow anything new to breach through. That moment of intertia gets so heavy that we don't give a chance to anything better.

Just try to imagine an operating system better than Windows and then try to imagine how to put it on the market. Seems impossible to succeed, isn't it?

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:53:54 pm »
Just try to imagine an operating system better than Windows and then try to imagine how to put it on the market. Seems impossible to succeed, isn't it?

I don't have to imagine it, Linux is vastly superior to Windows, and Linux is doing very well thank you very much.

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:35:46 pm »
Ok.
Why 90% computers are sold with windows?

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »

There are a number of possible responses to this question. My favorite is that 90% of computer users are too stupid to run Linux, but it's simply not true. What is true is that the number of computers sold with Windows these days is vanishingly small compared to the billions and billions of computers that run Linux in the form of Android, and the alternative to Android on those computers is still not Windows, so the premise of your question is actually false.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:48 pm »
One other way to inject some additional thought is that about 71-74 % of computer servers in the world are using either Linux or a form of the Linux OS.

Approximately 1.5 % of home Desktop computers use Linux as an OS.

Apple amounts to less than 8%

Windows (XP - believe it or not, 7,8,8.1 and 10) make up about 88%

The rest is of various flavors of combined and some homebrewed OS's.

Given the number of Servers (business and other scientific end experimental facilities) in use, could it be that Linux has not tryed to dumb it down enough for the masses to consider using? Hmm.

One day soon...
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:33 pm »
Desktop Linux "just works" ... until it doesn't, and then the debugging process is a pain. Multitudes of distros and distro versions make it harder to find information that is relevant to your particular flavor. Its general insistence on having internet access is annoying (ever tried to install a network driver, or any program, on a Linux PC that won't connect to the network?). Also, GUIs were invented for a reason. I'm not too dumb to make Linux work, but I find it needlessly inconvenient in a variety of ways.

In general, I haven't found it any less problematic than Windows -- it just has different problems. Pick your poison. And don't pass off your personal preference as the poison everybody should be taking.

Now, weren't we talking about AI?

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:15 pm »
Now, weren't we talking about AI?

Yes, what I meant is: someone made Siri/Alexa/GoogleNow with 20% AGI capacity. And people are using it. Cool. Then someone will come up with XYZ with 50% AGI capacity. And people will install it and like it better. But after this, people will ignore anything that is better. One little girl/guy will one day in her/his basement make something worth of admiring, and it will be a big problem for her/him to place it up the web because 90% of people won't need this enhancement. 10% people that make the difference wouldn't  be enough to make the change.

It is just my personal impression, but with great power comes great responsibility. We could count on opensource wave, modularity and a good documentation if we were optimists, but are any of existing technologies that kind to newcomers? It doesn't look cool to me. Most likely we are about to have proprietary 100% AGI capacity too late with 20% time of using it and 80% time of watching, argh, pulp commercials (commercials can also be art, right? We are not that lucky, we'll have less than 1% art like commercials)

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 07:34:32 pm »
You don't have to bump up your tech and deal with humans. Just create AI, and it bumps itself up instantly and all the world and beyond will become heaven.

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:11:06 pm »

There are a number of possible responses to this question. My favorite is that 90% of computer users are too stupid to run Linux, but it's simply not true. What is true is that the number of computers sold with Windows these days is vanishingly small compared to the billions and billions of computers that run Linux in the form of Android, and the alternative to Android on those computers is still not Windows, so the premise of your question is actually false.

Hey, good answer! Blurring the lines between smartphones and computers, that's clever!

My favorite answer: "Because 90% computers are sold with windows!"

EDIT:
Back to the topic, I think the game changer here is the concept of "app". There's a store, you click the button, you have it installed, end of story. Phones have it, Win10 has it, Ubuntu has it (sort of), Firefox, Chrome, ...etc. This is the exact point where new tech can breach through existing heavy-weights, and you see it everyday: success stories, on an app market, coming from nowhere. So I'm rather optimistic about this.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:06:35 pm by Zero »

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »
You don't have to bump up your tech and deal with humans. Just create AI, and it bumps itself up instantly and all the world and beyond will become heaven.

Great thinking :). I just hope that the first one will work for benefit of all beings, not just for one.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 09:23:22 pm »
a chain is as strong as it's weakest link
mankind is as stupid as those women who have kids with tyrone in theire early 20's and after hitting the wall at 25 to 30 look for that nice guy they turned down, only to be rejected cause now he has luxurious love dolls that are smarter than her. people say humans are so smart, but look how simple and efficient street cats are, the female goes meow and the male gets some, but with humans NOOOOO.
they have to go to a club pay money buy alcohol play mind games display wealth buy an expensive car expensive watch, have thug friends, talk about her stupid fat friends, and then she has hair in her armpits.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:58 pm »
"meow"

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

300 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles