IPC on Windows 10

• 16 Replies

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Re: IPC on Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »
I don't know if this might be of the interest, but you might want to check out a popular opensource OpenCog AGI framework. It is basically a bunch of command line tools covering a variety of areas of AGI (automatic logic reasoner, NLP, some chatbot try, some other areas I don't understand, ...) What could be interesting is its user interface that might be wise to investigate, because it is based on server that communicates to client branch utilitites. It also has a google groups community that is ready to quickly answer all the questions related to AGI. But be careful, that framework is extremely complicated thing to set up and to use it, and you have to compile it from source code (c, scheme, python and other languages). Oh, one more thing: OpenCog is based on Linux, I don't know is this a bad thing for you, but as it embodies client-server architecture, I suppose you can run server on a Linux machine and contact it from Win machines or anything else, even over web, I think. I don't know any firm documentation link and prepare for a mess if you are going to investigate it on your own. The supporting community (numerous programmers) is pretty diffuse and I think it would benefit from some solution that would centralize overall use cases. Strangers often ask questions in the group, somehow manage to install the whole utility set, but then they lose interest in the forest of command line applications. Maybe a whole career could be built upon connecting OpenCog pieces together, but I'll say nothing more, as it perfectly fits the description of your plan (if this solution interests you).

There are also competition AGI utility sets, but I only heard about them, I don't even remember their names.
[Edit] I remembered one, I think its name is NARS, I think it was of a guy who wasn't satisfied with OpenCog, so he made a branch of it, or something
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:16:38 pm by ivan.moony »

Zero

• Eve
Re: IPC on Windows 10
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:49 am »
Hi!

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs.

It might sound strange, but I'm now investigating MQTT, an internet-of-things communication protocol. Designed for small messages, on low-power devices, it could be a wise choice to glue huge swarms of tiny executables providing part-of-mind services. For instance, on Nodejs, mosca would be backed by node-ipc, with a layer of self-sensors for a consciousness-ready network of processes.

EDIT: I was on my smartphone, now I'm on my computer for a longer reply.

So yes, I wasn't clear enough about what I precisely want to achieve. What I want is a system that works on only 1 machine (offline, no LAN). And this machine should run Win10. Here is why.

I believe that working on AGI is not only about magical algorithms. It's also about making it available to a really wide audience. Sure, I could go Linux/ROS, actually I'm dual boot Win10/Ubuntu on my main laptop. But people aren't! Most people simply can't go linux, or don't want to. I know the flaws in Win10, as everybody does. We have less control in Windows, and we miss POSIX, notably. But on the other hand, it would be unfair to say that MS guys are stupid or unable to build clever things properly.

As I said several months ago in another thread, even if you come up with a really working AGI, if it doesn't look (or feel) like an AGI, nothing will happen. People would say "yeah, yet another computer-scientist useless AI-related stuff". What people want is Siri-like or Cortana-like interfaces. They want to feel that the computer (or home device) is aware and intelligent. Simply put, they want to give orders in natural language, and expect the computer to understand not only the orders, but also the underlying goal of the user. I'd be happy to hear about what you think people want, even here in this very thread.

Another thing is, I believe programmers should be able to contribute even if they're not AI ninjas. There's a language called Scriptbasic. In the homepage, the authors says "There are a lot of people who can program BASIC and only BASIC. There are many people, who can not really program. Those who do not really know what programming is, and still: they write their five-liners in BASIC to solve their simple problems". I really love this way of seeing things. AI should be (also) made of simple (but useful) things. So, why not a Scriptbasic part-of-mind service provider?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:06:00 am by Zero »

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

307 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 320. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles