I want to learn AI with database using JAVA

• 11 Replies

pdmTry

• Roomba
I want to learn AI with database using JAVA
« on: May 03, 2017, 04:52:34 am »
Good day, can you teach me how to start with AI using JAVA? I already watched some tutorials at youtube but they didnt have database on it, all codes are hard coded by the programmer, moreover I would like to do it in database type of AI. You can email me, thank you!!  :idiot2:  :D  :idiot2:

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: I want to learn AI with database using JAVA
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »
Welcome to our forum!

In all honesty, you might seriously want to rethink using java for your A.I. or chatbot. It seems that mainstream is phasing out the use of java, especially for security reasons (or lack of security).

There are many other avenues you could explore but if you are hard set on using java, I wish you the best.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:48 pm »
I'd not heard of Java being phased out, but it's not an area I keep up with. I know that Android uses Java so I think it must still have some life in it.

pdmTry, can you expand on what you are trying to do ? It would help others to understand. I mean is it a chatbot, an assistant or anything like that ?

And what platform ? Is this for PC or mobiles ?

Welcome to the site  :)

pdmTry

• Roomba
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 03:10:51 am »
Thank you guys for me being welcome to this forum.

I am just a computer science student and I think it's fine to use it only at desktop. It is okay if you show me some tutorials of any platforms you want as long it is JAVA and what database do you prefer to use, I had tried SQL in the past?

I think it is okay to just start first with chat bots then to self learning AI.

What kind of tools do you prefer to use for like me a newbie? I had tried netbeans.

Please email me at magdangalpauld@gmail.com
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »
@ Freddy - I meant that the focus of the "phase-out" was on Java and Java based Apps...not the programming language itself. Those Plug-ins and Browser Add-ons are a source for all types of nefarious activities and so much so that many large companies have already dropped them or are soon planning to do so.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2610229/java/java-s-security-dilemma--old--vulnerable-versions-won-t-go-away.html

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/48162/java-support-being-dropped-by-browsers

https://www.fosterinstitute.com/blog/is-java-going-away/

https://www.howtogeek.com/179213/why-browser-plug-ins-are-going-away-and-whats-replacing-them/

Java: Java is already being phased out, as Java applets on web pages have proven to be insecure because the plug-in is the security equivalent of Swiss cheese. Java essentially provides a way of embedding entire programs on web pages, and this hasn’t worked out well.

http://answers.help.ea.com/t5/Pogo/Oracle-Announces-Java-Plugin-Being-Phased-Out/td-p/5125036

Google® has phased out support for Java in Chrome version 45 and later. Chrome version 45 and later is not supported for ADP Vantage HCM Time Java pages.

http://www.snowbound.com/blog/3257/the-clock-is-ticking-to-replace-your-java-applet-part-1/
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:32:50 pm »
Wow I see what you mean, that had escaped me entirely. Sounds like the days of ActiveX, which I have just read that MS dropped entirely back in 2015. I never quite trusted it.

Thanks for explaining and the reference material  O0

And apologies for misinterpreting what you wrote.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »
First ActiveX... then Java… It’ll be Cursive next… Oh! Wait… damn!

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

pdmTry

• Roomba
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:48:55 am »
Can someone help?  :o

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 10:16:13 am »
Hi pdmTry

I think the reason that no one has answered your request is because Databases are not usually a major component in any kind of AI system.  They might be used for storing the initial data before it’s loaded into memory but generally they aren't fast enough for parsing etc.

I believe most Chatbots use scripts although I can’t see a reason why you couldn't adapt a Java based Chatbot to read its information from a database.

I presume the use of Java and a database is a course project requirement? If no other information is forthcoming I suggest you obtain the source code for a simple Java Chatbot and just adapt it to use a Database schema.

Freddy asked... can you expand on what you are trying to do ? It would help others to understand. I mean is it a chatbot, an assistant or anything like that ?  And what platform ? Is this for PC or mobiles ?

Another reason you have probably had little response is because you asked people to post answers to your Email… how does the rest of us know what replies you have had?

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:21:21 pm »
korrelan said, "I think the reason that no one has answered your request is because Databases are not usually a major component in any kind of AI system.

That's correct, when first learning, I suggest... Arrays are all that is needed.  This way the focus can be on the A.I. engine.  Later on, you can load an array into a database without too much effort. 

You may find far fewer references compared to starting with a hard coded static design.   Of course there are no rules against using a database to start learning.  Eventually, the A.I. will grow and need a database.   

Just be prepared, starting with a database may take longer to design the relationships, tables, queries, connections, forms, etc. An installation setup will be needed, of course.   So, while all this extra database work (technically unrelated to A.I.) may safely be avoided at first,  starting with a database is certainly not a bad idea at all.   Most likely,  with a database you will have a dynamic A.I. system to start out with.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:43:34 pm by 8pla.net »
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:52 am »
AI isn't tied to any specific programming language. We use programming languages only as a tool to achieve some goal, and once the goal is defined, mostly any programming language will do, including Java. The truth is that some langs are more suited for making AI than others, but mostly any lang will do the trick.

Nobody can tell us how to build AGI (artificial general intelligence) simply because it is a work in the middle of research for the last fifty years, or so. Nevertheless, some people could unreveal their strategies of their research methods. From what I've learned so far, there are three major branches in AI.
  • AI that is really not AI - it is using of dirty programming tricks to simulate AI, but it is not a general solution and it does not exhibit smart behavior other than reacting on strictly predicted situations (and we can never predict them all). Personal assistants, chatbots and game character AI fall into this category.
  • Bottom-up approach - using neural networks that resemble biological brainworks. It is good for recognizing fuzzy data such are photographs and voice, but it is not researched enough yet to simulate more complex brain activities. It eats up a lot of processing power, but can be done on personal desktop machines.
  • Top-down approach - this approach predicts cognitive roots and tries to provide solutions to some of cognitive processes such are induction or deduction. It is mostly tied to narrow science projects for proving theorems, but if you are inventive enough (and a lot of inventiveness is required), you can combine it with first two branches to bring the world's first AGI machine, IMHO. If you choose to spend some time here, look up for propositional logic, higher order logic, type theory and calculus of constructions.
And which language to pick? It depends on the platform on which you want to run the code, being Windows, Linux, Android, or something else. Java (in the case of good will to install 200MB Java runtime) is good because of one-code-multiple-platforms philosophy, and it has a good database capabilities, but maybe it would be wise to consider Javascript too. Javascript runs inside browser which is already installed everywhere, from desktop comps to phones. If the portability is not the main goal, there are many languages to pick up, from C++ (speed king), over Java (clean code) to Python (simplicity). Some people like functional languages such are Haskell and company, but that opens a whole new world of learning programming paradigms other than imperative one.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:39:14 am by ivan.moony »

djchapm

• Trusty Member
  • Bumblebee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:12:31 am »
Problem with Java and AI is matrix operations are very slow.  Once your data grows it just can't compete with numpy in Python or some of the other optimized algorithms like intel libs for number crunching.  But - since huge data probably not your concern and you're just wanting to put something together with Java and DB - I'll suggest Java 8 and Spring-Mongo setup.  Use a separate Mongo server as opposed to embedded as performance will be much better.  Mongo will be much easier for you to get and set the data you're looking for.  i.e. you can pull an entire matrix into memory, use it - then push back to Mongo when you're done.  No schemas needed and way way less work when compared to setting up Oracle or MySQL Schemas and queries for your needs. 

Really stay away from things like hibernate and JPA for this - just raw JSON data in and out of the DB using object serialization.

Most Java devs I'm seeing are moving towards JEdit for a quick/simple editor.  I still use the various versions of Eclipse - Spring has it's own version of eclipse with a million plugins and features/examples to help you learn how to use the various Spring tools.

Like everyone else is saying though - Python/C/C++/R are the clear winners for NN Programming.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

305 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles