The most sensational news ever!

• 11 Replies

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
The most sensational news ever!
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:47:26 pm »
I've composed an overview of some of the most wrongly sensationalised news stories from this decade, in part thanks to our very own Tyler bot for providing them  ;)
Did I forget any particularly big stories?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:14:32 pm by Don Patrick »
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: The most sensational news ever!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:53 pm »
Great reporting as always! O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:01:26 am »
Thanks Art :). I've been brooding on this one for a few years, can't believe I wasted so much time looking into them.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:33:32 pm »
Its good having posts like this, i had a little gander at it,  yip!  alot of people dont know they are on about,  about everything.   its wierd once you learn something, everyone just talks shit everywhere you go.   they are your customers btw. :)

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:30:38 pm »
They would only be customers if they paid me. If I were to draw no more readers because everyone's already enlightened, then I'd call that a success.

Fun fact: While Russia usually makes up 0% of my readership, this particular article is drawing more Russian readers than American. Curious to say the least.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:53:37 pm »
Good quality articles are sure to attract
readers from all over.

My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 03:01:42 am »
Take a notice...Magazines, Newspapers and Books are almost near the bottom of the "Physical objects" list.

A vast majority of people, especially young people, get their news on their phones first, then connected TV's then computers, then other people.

Most Public Libraries have takes such a serious hit that a lot of them have been rebranded as Media Centers, featuring a variety of digital media, DVD's, movies, microfilm, etc. Sure there are still some books on the shelves but I'd wager that not too many of them are new ones.

The world has gone digital.

The newspaper that my wife likes (store coupons, etc.) has gotten much smaller in width and in content. Then again a lot of things have gotten smaller. 5lb's of sugar is now in a 4lb. sack. A lb. (16 oz.) can of coffee is no longer in a can (plastic) and is no longer 16 oz but rather 12, 11 or less, but costs pretty much the same as the one pound size did.

Then there are all those Media slanters on those worthless TV stations. It used to be that the news was simply the news and those news anchors and journalists simply reported the news as it happened and where it happened...without biased or preconceived notions of what or how it should be "spun" or presented.

Now, everything is political, one-sided, slanted, opinionated, offensive, racist, hateful or hurtful. One can't win trying to sort it all out.

I've heard many friends say they don't watch news and hardly watch TV shows any longer.

Now NetFlix, that's a whole other subject!  O0

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:12:50 am »
The main reason for this article and my current work on a nonsense filter is that I really can't stand American style reporting, which is where most AI news comes from. In my country the news states plain boring facts, because Dutch people like to form their own opinions and discuss them, that's how our society works and influences politics. You can ask anyone who studied marketing about this cultural difference: News that is brought in the form of an opinion is unappreciated in the Netherlands but sells great in America. The fact that something like Fox News exists is frankly insane, but all American news channels I've seen are guilty of biased reporting to some degree, and have been decades before the placeholder president started blaming one half and endorsing the other.

I only take news reports about American affairs in the form of comedy shows anymore, because with those at least you know you can't take it serious.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
FOX was nice to me, when years ago they gave me permission to use a very cool animated prop for: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, on my fan site.   So, I have always liked The Fox Entertainment Group.     

The Fox Entertainment Group is the owner of Fox News.   So, after reading Don's post, I became curious as to how the ownership of news outlets in The Netherlands may compare?   

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 09:44:47 am »
Our main news channels are funded by the ministry of education, and therefore have to uphold neutral values.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_public_broadcasting_system
News channels that try to be more popular are largely the products of Dutch-origin corporations, most notably Endemol, which joined with 21st Century Fox in 2015, which has links with Fox Entertainment Group. They tend to follow the standards set by the national news, and while some feature discussion panels wherein opinions are exchanged, those opinions are not portrayed as "news".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemol
I have not noticed any influence from Fox Entertainment in terms of political bias outside of Fox News. 20th Century Fox also produced a lot of splendid movies, but they didn't push right-wing propaganda in them. I do not consider Fox News and Fox Entertainment Group to be the same entity, just as I don't consider Disney to be Pixar's creative directors.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 02:30:27 pm »
Writing about your annoyance with American style reporting provided some entertainment to me as your reader. To be honest, I found the media a bit annoying the other day too.   

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 03:22:19 pm »
There are those who do not listen to news, political banter, space beings being sighted, keeping up with some holier-than-thou celebrities or other such nonsense, yet get along perfectly fine.
(At times, I fit that mold rather nicely). ;)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

281 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles