Programming language designed specifically for AGI

• 38 Replies

unreality

• Starship Trooper
Re: Programming language designed specifically for AGI
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 03:18:57 pm »
Sure, you can make MenuetOS in assembly all alone. But can't make Ubuntu in assembly all alone. Is a complete AGI smaller than Ubuntu? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, unreality, I love C, and I believe it all has to start with low-level. But you can't stay low-level all the way. Programming languages that are fat and slow are general purpose programming language. But can't we imagine an AGI-specific high level programming language, which of course would be implemented in C, and which would be real fast because the very parts that need to be fast would be already hard-code in C or assembly?

Maybe it's impossible, but who knows? And maybe it's not necessary. Spreadsheets are doing a nice job (aside from imperative scripting) of shifting all the side effects to a user interface. That means that all the side effects could be  maintained not by the functional language itself, but by an outer shell that directs which cell changes on user or other demand.

Maybe one of them inside of the other?

EDIT: WriterOfMind, do you have any feature you'd like to see in such a language?

It depends what type of AI approach. I'm not a fan of the neural networking approach. It's great. It's real true AI. DeepMind is doing great, but it's not really taking evolution to the next level. They're trying to mimic the brain. Something that was created through evolution. Why not try to improve upon that, the next level? I can assure you that my AI will be 100% c, and it will surely be a speck in size compared to Ubuntu lol. We'll have see how good it is, though.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 03:24:10 pm »
ps, I just checked the executable file size of my AI so far. It's 25 KB. Best guesstimate is that when complete it most likely will be less than 100 KB. Kinda reminds me of the tiny AI code that makes the Synths become aware in the amazing tv series, Humans.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
They're trying to mimic the brain. Something that was created through evolution. Why not try to improve upon that, the next level?

I agree, definitely. We have an opportunity to start from scratch, wondering "really what is consciousness, at heart of it all? how does matter movement, in one objective world, creates another subjective world entirely".

So what's the next level in your opinion? How does it differ from human mind level?

I write back saying what in the world is my Visual Studio compiler stuffing inside my Windows program that makes it as massive as 140KB lol?
That one gave me a good laugh  ;D

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 04:05:44 pm »
So what's the next level in your opinion? How does it differ from human mind level?

I was thinking the next level will happen after the Singularity. Humans might not be able to fully comprehend AI consciousness a few decades after that day. They'll exist in our world, but they'll probably also have their own VR world that will go beyond pretty 3D objects. Their world might seen abstract to us and flooded with massive data flow. Transhumanism gives us hope. Maybe through transhumanism we can get a glimpse of their world.

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 04:18:15 pm »
I don't believe in singularity (and it's another topic).

But when you said "they're trying to mimic...", you were actually saying that you would not follow this path. My question was, what's your path? If your AI's mind is different from a human mind, how do they differ?

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
But when you said "they're trying to mimic...", you were actually saying that you would not follow this path. My question was, what's your path? If your AI's mind is different from a human mind, how do they differ?
My method mainly consists of:

1. Tree search algorithm, e.g., alpha–beta pruning.
2. Assessing link relevance between objects.

One & two above use probability functions. Tree searching uses probability for the pruning. Linking uses probability to determine relevance.

The above probability functions use pattern recognition functions to determine probability.

Would that be considered neural networking?

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 05:10:20 pm »
I don't think so, but I'm not a NN expert.

Well for example, alpha-beta pruning and link relevance assessing could be available as first-class ready-to-use hyper-fast components in an Ai-dream programming language. (Hey, good name!)

EDIT: Also, I think the observer pattern is fundamental. It frees you from db hugeness problems, by introducing a notion of locality in the access to relevant information.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:39:09 pm by Zero »

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 05:34:32 pm »
Ai-dream language, yes! ;)

Some people might think it's related to NN, but my point is that the next level design will be a very well organized system. IMO evolution is a bit messy. We have left over body parts that no longer have any function. Fetus have tails. Some people are born with tails. What are the purpose of male nipples? Etc. We feel pain quiet often, e.g., the constant sea of dying cells that are constantly being replaced that causes slight background itching. I would never give my AI pain like evolution has given us pain. I mean, if it needs to know something is wrong, then you don't need to inundate it to the point that the poor creature is curled up in a ball of pain crying it's eyes out!

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 05:48:06 pm »
Beyond the inevitable "hey, male nipples are cool" ;D  I'll say this: maybe what looks useless on a small time-scale is actually useful when you consider the potential survival of beings on 100k years... who knows. It's about robustness. But yeah, nature has a very special way of doing things.

Terminator says "I sense injuries. The data could be called pain."
But he doesn't give a sh*t.

my point is that the next level design will be a very well organized system
Will there be room for love and compassion in this very organized system?

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 07:33:52 pm »
Perfect is the enemy of good.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 08:39:20 pm »
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Perfection is relative. Nothing wrong with trying to improve.

smh

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 09:35:41 am »
No, nothing wrong of course.

I guess you mean that your AI's mind and thougths will be as organized as regular source code, with no redundancy and no mess, everything right where it belongs?

I think mess is not our enemy. It's a good thing sometimes. Probably not in source code, but in a mind... yes maybe.

Now computers and biological brains really are different middlewares, so why restrict ourselves to a human organ imitation? There are so many things we can do. On the other hand, why not having neural nets in our toolbox? Can't hurt!

EDIT: Imagine some kind of crazy mix of functional programming definitions with several layers of neurons attached to them, which recognize things and relay data towards a logic-programming engine, and so on... I identify 3 things here:
  • Modules, which provide a specific tool to manipulate data (functional programming, logic programming, neural nets, ...etc).
  • Interfaces, which provide a mean to connect modules to one anothern (there can be many ways to connect a bayesian module and a rule engine module for instance)
  • Data sets
All of which should be sharable through an npm-like service for Ai-devs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:56:34 am by Zero »

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 03:03:37 pm »
My thought was that the mess causes slower performance, and in humans it appears to be a cause of significant pain. Evolution will most likely improve our brain over time, reorganizing, improving our mental performance, and hopefully ending the pain and urges that pretty much force us to do things.

But no worries. Transhumanism will soon be here to the rescue. :)

ASI implant: Your tooth is decaying.
Human: Schedule an appointment with the dentist.
ASI implant: Done!
Human: Thanks!
ASI implant: No problemo

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 02:35:24 pm »
So you think a good programming language designed specifically for AGI should be well organized. Ok!

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 07:26:51 pm »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

316 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles