• 31 Replies

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Re: XKCD Comic : Chicken Pox and Name Statistics
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:18 am »
I think she is gone... Hell of a job, people...  :(

Wait... Are we allowed to make racist jokes too, then?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:24:49 am by ivan.moony »

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 02:07:14 am »
Nah, I'm not leaving the forum.  I just said "bye" because I wanted to get out of this thread and start concentrating on work.  You're fine.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 03:29:16 am »
Glad you are staying :)

No Ivan, certainly no racist jokes here thank you !

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:55 am »
 :Lust_by_Zikes: :hert:

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:43 am »
how come i seem to be amazingly looking when i pull my eyes squinty...

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 12:27:11 am »
Ok then, I can see someone may find him/herself insulted by my honest observations.  As I feel I'm representing minority here, I feel I should retreat. Maybe it's me, not you. Maybe I shouldn't take a side this time again. I've been quiet so many times, so why not once again?

You know, we may think of ourselves in a most positive way, but in the moment we put a chicken in our plate, we lose a right to make fun of it. Compare it to a killer who thinks he deserves to have a right to make fun of his victims. It is a very rude, insensitive and ignorant attitude that might offend someone with more expressed character.

But what do I know, maybe we really shouldn't stand up for poor. Maybe we should encourage behavior in which those that stand up for poor are laughed out at loud. Moreover, those who stand up for poor are asked to apologize to others for playing heroes. Now, who is a poor here, an animal kept imprisoned for a whole life, just to be murdered to end up at our dish, or a human being that does so much good things to other, equally innocent human beings? Tell me, because I want to know, which side should I pick, and to whom should I apologize, and for what when I pick a side?

Yes, I can hear, I represent an odd minority. Well, maybe I don't want to be a part of that bigger group. And also, as I don't like to impose what attitudes others should practice, I guess I lose this fight, now and forever, because that is what I do in life, I lose. Keep kicking, you can't hear me.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:42 am »
I am deeply offended by people getting offended.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:44 am »
You’re missing the point Ivan…this is an AI forum.

There is no side to take on this forum, most users aren't here to be force fed/ preached to by a minority with no boundaries; that feel they are entitled to say whatever they feel is true, just because they require validation, have a personal belief/ agenda and captive audience.

This forum is not the place for this type of debate.  In the interest of keeping a mutually beneficial atmosphere these types of topics should be avoided.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 12:54:14 pm »
You're right.

I think I need a little break.

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 04:34:04 pm »
You're right, korrelan, this whole discussion has been very off-topic. Thing is, Ivan and I didn't start it.

If you guys have the right to make jokes that I consider offensive in a public forum, then I have the right to disapprove in that same public forum.  If you guys have the right to promote carnism by laughing at vegetarians, then I have the right to counter that.  This is not your personal moral platform either.  And if somebody says something that I perceive as an insult, surely I'm allowed to respond.  Turnabout is fair play.

You will note that I have not asked for any sort of censorship or punishment to be levied against Art or against the original joke post. I am merely exercising my own right to free speech, which I have to the same extent that you do. Please respect that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:11:06 pm by WriterOfMinds »

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • YouTube
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 05:49:28 pm »
Thing is, Ivan and I didn't start it.

No, Ivan didn't start this.

Did you know that joke is old, tired, and completely unfunny?
Mocking people who display altruistic behavior = not cool.

If you guys have the right to make jokes that I consider offensive in a public forum.

There’s the problem… the words public and ‘I’ in the same sentence…

then I have the right to disapprove in that same public forum

And again…

If you guys

Tut.. tut…

promote carnism by laughing at vegetarians

The joke was a not against vegetarians… it was about an old Indian word.

And if somebody says something that I perceive as an insult, surely I'm allowed to respond.

Public form… respect/ leniency for your peers.

Turnabout is fair play.

There should be no ‘turn around’, we are all equal.

You will note that I have not asked for any sort of censorship or punishment to be levied against Art or against the original joke post.

No, this whole thread doesn't really exist.

Ok I get it… you’re a vegetarian, you have had your ten seconds of personal validation, now we all know… you have educated and scolded your peers.  Someone being constantly offended doesn't mean there’re right; it just means they’re too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than theirs.

I have as much of an interest in your personal beliefs as you have in mine… I really just don’t care about your diet choices; I do care about your insights/ opinions regarding the forums main topic though.

As a society we should all know what topics are generally/ globally taboo.  We have no way of knowing individuals private foibles… nor should we need to.

What do you suggest we do?

Make a list of topics we each feel ‘sensitive’ about, then collectively ‘scold/ educate’ anyone who deviates into those topic areas… after all this is public forum and are we not all equals? If one person is allowed to preach then surely we all are.

Or…

Exercise some adult wisdom, avoid all personally related topics/ beliefs and stick to the premise of the forum. Show a little respect/ leniency for our fellow peers and accept no one is perfect; we are all equals and no one person has the right to ‘scold/ educate’ anyone else.

I personally choose the latter.

Ed: Notice I'm not educating or scolding anyone because I'm an omnivore… I respect your beliefs/ views… you are entitled to them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:32:19 pm by korrelan »

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 07:09:32 pm »
Exercise some adult wisdom, avoid all personally related topics/ beliefs and stick to the premise of the forum.

So you will no longer make jokes that imply vegetarians are incompetent, then? Cool. That is all I wanted.

Ed: You want respect? Dude. That joke was disrespectful. That is what I have been trying to say all along. Don't I deserve respect too? And by the way, you are currently scolding and educating me ... you are telling me why you think it's bad that I objected to the joke, and trying to persuade me not to do so ever again ...

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 08:26:26 pm »
 I like you and accept you as you are. For any minor fault i will back up. Even for Ranch, Locksuit, Korrelan, Art, and Zero.
 For the other regulars i will not give them the time of day.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 10:10:13 pm »
So you will no longer make jokes that imply vegetarians are incompetent, then?

Yes I will, if the occasion arises…

Would you prefer a joke that implies vegetarians are good hunters?

Let’s swap some words around to make it easier…

Did you know that the word, "carnivore" is old Indian word for "Bad Gardener".

OMG! I’m soooo offended.

Cool. That is all I wanted.

There’s that ‘I’ again.  I suppose all is well so long as ‘you’ got what ‘you’ wanted, eh?

You want respect? Dude.

No I don’t.  I just expect to be treated equally, with mutual respect, or should I take a leaf out of your book and scold you for using the word ‘vegetarianism’ in my presence.

That joke was disrespectful.

Your attitude and illusion of self superiority is disrespectful to your fellow peers.  The fact that you think yourself ‘altruistic’ just because you choose to eat vegetables and that this somehow gives you the right to scold your peers with differing opinions. The joke was not disrespectful; you found it so… it’s a matter of opinion… not fact.

And by the way, you are currently scolding and educating me ...

No… I’m just pointing out the obvious and shouldn’t need to, pointing out what everyone else already understands… no one person deserves special treatment or consideration just because they demand it.  Do as I demand or I will educate you… pfft. 

you are telling me why you think it's bad that I objected to the joke

You blatantly expressed your disgust/ view/ opinion of people/ societies who consume meat.  I am a member of that group… should I treat you the same way? Do you want my true opinions on vegetarians? You really, really won’t like it.

and trying to persuade me not to do so ever again ...

You started this, you are trying to impede/ suppress everyone else’s rights/ views/ opinions.  You are trying to impose/ persuade us what not to do… you are actually stating what we are allowed to find amusing whilst in your company.

Again… it was just a joke.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:33 pm »
I guess this is too progressive for us to practice.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

303 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles