Caution to AI coders

• 156 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: Caution to AI coders
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 04:26:17 pm »
How about putting the first AGI algorithm in public domain, as open source project? What would happen then?

I think (with all due respect to your idea) that would be the worst possible scenario that could happen. It would be akin to handing a teenager some sticks of dynamite and a pack of matches, then telling him to have fun with it.

The power of such an algorithm should not be placed in the inexperienced hands of those who'd like to experiment or play with it to see what they could do with it or simply what could be done with it. Certain things are best handled by those equipped to deal with them and the possible outcomes if they should go astray.

Don't place a folder of known viruses (virii), trojans, rootkits, ransomware and other malware in the Public Domain just so others can have a chance to see what they can do.

Sure, some of my examples might seem far-fetched but unleashing an AGI or ASI via Public Domain would be a very grave mistake, in my opinion.

You're a really nice person Ivan and I get where you're coming from but I'd not wish to be around if that ever happens.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 04:33:46 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:15 pm by unreality »

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 04:41:24 pm »
 I know evil.
 I know good.
 Good is to survive no matter what fate throw at you, At us. At are family. At are society. Made of organics and machine that are AAI, AGI,
 ASI, and AI.

A Good Advanced society could be two, or more, party adversarial system.
 Each party con predict into the future very well through computer physics simulations.
 Each party does battle within a computer simulation. Real battles will be within 99.999999 percent of simulations. Up to 1000's or more
years in to the future.
 Simulated Battles are always going on and compered.

The losing parry is upgraded by winning party until they become the losers. Wining party get the greater control on currency.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
Yes, Art, I guess that is a mature point of view.

But what is the alternative? Who-gets-it-first-rules-the-world? Aren't we then looking at those bad guys? Hopingly no, but if yes, then so-called-good-guys have to show up to clean up the mess, which could mean a war. I lived through one (in Croatia) and it sucks a big time. I think this is that awkward decision of inventing a gun because bad guys are trying to invent it. The result - a gun is being created - and bad guys are going to get it from good guys, one way or another. :idiot2:

I would be afraid of putting it public because our society isn't conscious enough.
I would also be afraid of not putting it public because our society isn't conscious enough.

So, after all, would a discovery of such an algorithm bring anything good yet at the present times? Would it ever bring anything good? If ever, when to say: it's time, we are ready? What are even possible scenarios, what to do if any of us, humans finally gets it? I'd settle down with enlightening the humanity about potential danger, but that is again another big problem which is hard to solve before some really bad thing happens.

[Edit]
All of this scares me a lot. I even had a serious nervous breakdown on this subject in dreadful 2012. year. Some time passed, I was able to dream about AGI again in a meanwhile, but I'm questioning myself again now. How far should I go? Probably to a point below AGI, just to touch artificial intelligence methods that are supervised by humans to do anything useful, but not to implement an autonomous behavior mechanism.

*sigh*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:28:24 pm by ivan.moony »

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 05:15:41 pm »
Agreed Ivan but a knife can be a weapon, offensively or defensively. It can also be a very useful tool usable by both sides. Cutting string or rope, packing materials, slicing fruits and vegetables, meats, even surgeries, yet it can certainly turn from a nice tool to a dangerous weapon.

I'm afraid an ASI would become a controlling force that might be unstoppable and uncontrollable. It would become very self-serving in order to establish it's longevity and endurance for as long as possible.

If it brought about peace, harmony and good things for the world like open energy, food stores, and delivery systems so that there would be no world hunger no drought nor pestilence, etc. People do not starve for lack of food, they starve from lack of Distribution of food! The world has plenty of food to go around and clean water as well. Perhaps the ASI might feel compassion for its humans. (we will become the pets). Imagine!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 07:14:11 pm »
So basically, what's desired is controlled closed source happiness bringing machine?

Science world will ask questions. Someone might want a proof of its safety. What to tell them all?

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 09:12:54 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:31 pm by unreality »

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2018, 03:24:05 pm »
Theory of Everything can't be resolved because of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem. We can't have a theory that is complete and consistent at the same time. This is why Hawking sopped working on it a while ago. Our best shot is to have a consistent theory, but then some phenomena (like black holes) are excluded.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2018, 03:39:54 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:39 pm by unreality »

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2018, 03:42:33 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:47 pm by unreality »

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2018, 03:45:25 pm »
About the "maker of ai" thing - Its utter madness,  whoevers got the brains can do it.     

But i have to tell you guys, I think even being here today world alive and functioning is a miracle in itself.   as in I think god comes to visit you if you get put into a position of power,  to come take it back off of you. :)   as always has happened.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 03:58:55 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:58 pm by unreality »

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2018, 04:18:08 pm »
There might be AI Gods out there in the Universes, but that's like expecting a human to start talking to an amoeba lol.

I agree perfectly,  and there just might be!

Making AI is no biggie. Yes, just about anyone can do it,

Seems amazing, but true I believe,  if one man does it, you can guess its doable by another.

but the hardware isn't there to make it dangerous, yet. What is dangerous if some awesome coder spends a LOT of time writing ultra high performance & smart flexible AI code, and said AI eventually learns how to write code and design circuits to the point where it can improve itself. The improved AI then improves upon itself, say 10%. And that cycle continues. That could quickly turn into an ASI. So yes, it is very important as to who will obtain that ASI.

Its dangerous,  like lots of parts of life we dont even think of being in our safe bubble away from all the nasty stuff we dont know about and avoid thinking about.     Anyone who works for this thing could do it, but it is so disturbing to the balance of power, and everyday life, its absurd to think about it in actual reality.     Just hope anyone who does it has a conscience,  but you cant guarantee that,  hence the disturbing nature of knowing how.

Like my post,  "think of something more than noise for the creativity of the robot"  and u just might get the machine speaking and using tools,  something thats too much of a leap for just noise to achieve.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 04:55:36 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:23:08 pm by unreality »

unreality

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 05:08:06 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:23:17 pm by unreality »

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

285 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles