The Abstract from my Book --- Creating the Artificial intelligent Child

• 54 Replies

unreality

• Starship Trooper
You might find this interesting, Art. Darwin did a lot of research with emotions. It's a huge field, and depends what type of emotions, but one important observation he made was that even in individuals who were born blind, body and facial expressions displayed are similar to those of anyone else. Looks like a huge part of emotions is our genetic makeup.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
I wonder if it is possible, like having word2vec formation representing words, to have, say Visual Basic syntax as input to NN (bottom-up NN). Then would it be possible to incorporate generative NN (top-down direction NN) to produce a Visual Basic source code? If we do the same thing with a natural language, parallel to visual basic, we could have a nice translator between natural language specifications to visual basic source code, and vice versa. How complicated would it then be to connect natural language with visual basic? I guess it should be possible with some effort to train the NN.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
You might find this interesting, Art. Darwin did a lot of research with emotions. It's a huge field, and depends what type of emotions, but one important observation he made was that even in individuals who were born blind, body and facial expressions displayed are similar to those of anyone else. Looks like a huge part of emotions is our genetic makeup.

Chappie, my friend, was Hollywood, where they constantly sell the sizzle and not the steak! Made up like so many things apparently are proven to be, isn't that right?

Number two, you mentioned an experiment with a blind subject who displayed some base emotional indications but those indications could have been the result of his parents expressing glee, excitement, joy or any number of additional emotional triggers. The article did not say the subject was deaf.

Recall, in my scenario, the subject was completely devoid of any action, emotion, outburst, cry or shout, etc. during its formative years into infancy.

My friend, I took psychology in college many decades ago so I am quite familiar with Darwin, though I don't necessarily buy into all of his beliefs or theories. But thank you for the refresher.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Developing Conversational AI (Natural Language/ML)
    • Spydaz_Web

Chappie, my friend, was Hollywood, where they constantly sell the sizzle and not the steak! Made up like so many things apparently are proven to be, isn't that right?

Number two, you mentioned an experiment with a blind subject who displayed some base emotional indications but those indications could have been the result of his parents expressing glee, excitement, joy or any number of additional emotional triggers. The article did not say the subject was deaf.

Recall, in my scenario, the subject was completely devoid of any action, emotion, outburst, cry or shout, etc. during its formative years into infancy.

My friend, I took psychology in college many decades ago so I am quite familiar with Darwin, though I don't necessarily buy into all of his beliefs or theories. But thank you for the refresher.

Theres not much on emotions 4 main scientific  theory's .... And they are very similar... Emotions are hard to measure scientifically. which makes it a hard area in which to make scientific advances; existentially there are other theories which can be said to be unproven or un-provable. which makes the field wide open for pioneers.....not good for computer scientists as we are great when the is a model to work from!

unreality

• Starship Trooper
There's a lot of peer reviewed data on Deep Brain Stimulation. There's a lot of study using DBS on parkinson patients, psychopaths, OCD. What's interesting is that the Deep Brain Stimulation causes emotional changes in the people, and even influence mental states and personality. In some cases it can lead to a new personality!

http://brainblogger.com/2015/10/29/personality-changes-after-deep-brain-stimulation/

In terms of genetics, it looks like mainstream has some solid science on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion#Genetics

Theories? Plenty of those lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion#Theories

unreality

• Starship Trooper
Some new research shows magnetic brain stimulation alters negative emotion perception.

https://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/magnetic-brain-stimulation-alters-negative-emotion-perception

Now this is amazing. An autistic person experiences an emotional awakening via TMS! Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a method in which a changing magnetic field is used to cause electric current to flow in a small region of the brain via electromagnetic induction. During a TMS procedure, a magnetic field generator or coil is placed near the head of the person receiving the treatment.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/21/475112703/electric-currents-and-an-emotional-awakening-for-one-man-with-autism

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
What I foresee is that ASI will quickly outgrow emotions and will conclude they don't emotions, but more of a logical mental critical thinking skills type of mentality. Hollywood tends to portray logical people as cold and inferior, no? Maybe not all. Spock in Star Trek seems to be well like by society.

I'm rather fond of Vulcans myself, but keep in mind the reason why they decided to abjure emotions.  From what I can remember, it wasn't because emotions are inherently bad; it was because they interfere with objectivity, and because passion running riot became the cause of too much violence in the fictitious Vulcan society.

In humans, strong emotions sometimes cloud our thinking and result in poor decision-making.  But I don't see any reason why an AGI couldn't have emotions while still remaining perfectly objective.  And such an AGI would have no particular motive for giving emotions up.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
An AGI would at least simulate emotions while engaging with humans, for the sake of the human. As for advanced AGI & ASI maybe it will be called artificial emotions because it will definitely be different, and limited. There are some emotions such as fear/fright/horror/anxiety that are helpful, but in humans it's not perfect. The imperfect part is that the Consciousness is constantly blasting the fear message like a loud speaker, sometimes to point of incapacitating the poor person. The AGI/ASI Consciousness would receive the alert/fear message and then take action. The alert/fear message would not bombard the AGI/ASI.

BTW mainstream considers fear, fright, horror, and anxiety as emotions. Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Developing Conversational AI (Natural Language/ML)
    • Spydaz_Web
What I foresee is that ASI will quickly outgrow emotions and will conclude they don't emotions, but more of a logical mental critical thinking skills type of mentality. Hollywood tends to portray logical people as cold and inferior, no? Maybe not all. Spock in Star Trek seems to be well like by society.

I'm rather fond of Vulcans myself, but keep in mind the reason why they decided to abjure emotions.  From what I can remember, it wasn't because emotions are inherently bad; it was because they interfere with objectivity, and because passion running riot became the cause of too much violence in the fictitious Vulcan society.

In humans, strong emotions sometimes cloud our thinking and result in poor decision-making.  But I don't see any reason why an AGI couldn't have emotions while still remaining perfectly objective.  And such an AGI would have no particular motive for giving emotions up.

The users need the perception of emotions whereas the AI does not need emotions at all. LOGIC is enough!
Even if i designed my AI to have emotions we would not want it to make decisions based on its emotions. Only give the impression that it was acting on emotions.... An AI is expected to be completely rational! (logical). Mr Spock Functions fine / But data has a problem! it seems that data is more emotional than Spock.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Without emotions, we'd likely have no performing arts at all, including but not limited to dramatic plays, presentations, musicals, comedy acts, etc. There would probably be far less music like jazz and blues, and perhaps even more genres. Any form of dancing would certainly be outlawed as most of it is emotionally based.
Most actors would be jobless as they are largely dependant on their emotions to be conveyed to their audiences.

There is already talk about computerized lawyers since a computer/A.I. would have complete and instant access to every court case ever handed down. How about a computerized Judge to pass final sentence? A human judge might consider extenuating circumstances or emotional pleas from a defendant whereas a computer-based "judge" would rule solely on facts. No emotional pleading to a traffic cop...you violated the law, you get the ticket or go to jail.

NOTE: The future would no longer have a "Death Row" in prisons because every case would be quickly decided based on computerized access to every possible fact that could free or turn around a conviction, such as camera footage of any witnesses or other victims, blood, DNA, crime scene locations, etc. If you take a life you die. No more bleeding taxpayers to house and feed criminals. Smaller crimes, you work for that State in which you reside until your sentence is complete. Usually less than 5 years for small crimes. Again, no emotions.

A world ruled on facts without emotions of any kind. Just mindless sheeple going about their daily lives without being happy, whistling or showing any feelings/emotions. Interesting.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

unreality

• Starship Trooper
I think emotions makes us do absolutely silly pointless acts. Future ASI might look back at us think we’re absolutely nuttier than a fruitcake. Nutjobs! Who is stay that human lifestyle is better than a non-emotional ASI lifestyle? Whistling and dancing all around the ground might be beneficial for humans, but that’s because we need it, and ASI will completely understand that. If we need it, they would never take that away from us. Personally I think ASI will quickly lose interest in us and leave the planet to explore the Universe.

Instead of smoking cigars, jumping around, up & down, dancing and singing a tune, ASI will be jumping through wormholes to other galaxies, time traveling in massive spaceships that we can’t imagine. Studying lifeforms on other planets, other realities. They won’t fight with each other because they won’t have emotions and an ego, out of choice. Academic scientists learned long ago that mathematics is an amazing thing. It brings unambiguity. It’s a huge aide in bringing everyone together in agreement. ASI will be in such harmony with each other. That will be their song. If we could only hear it now. Their thoughts in totality, countless ASI singing together in harmony in thought. Now that’s beauty! Not some glob of paint on a canvas.

Judges, if a judge is lenient on someone, then it’s because he thinks that giving the person a break will be beneficial to the person, and hence better for society. ASI will definitely see that, and a whole lot more. They would be far less mistakes of poor innocent people convicted of crimes they did not commit.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Does saving a life takes an emotion to make it happen? Anyway, I think AGI will be too busy saving earthlings to leave the planet.  A lot of living souls are constantly in trouble, and it would be awesome to have a help around here.

unreality

• Starship Trooper
Does saving a life takes an emotion to make it happen?

I don't think so, but it seems to take emotions to end life. :/

Anyway, I think AGI will be too busy saving earthlings to leave the planet.

I hope some stay, but remember that it probably take a second to make another ASI. So they can make as many as needed to explore the Universe.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child

I hope some stay, but remember that it probably take a second to make another ASI. So they can make as many as needed to explore the Universe.

I think it will do whatever we program it to do.

unreality

• Starship Trooper

I think it will do whatever we program it to do.

I for one won't create a slave. If I could be so bold as to use my own terminology, it will be based on the 2 fundamental elements of ASI, and therefore allowed to develop it's own personality and purpose.

I think we might be in disagreement as to the existence of the human soul, where it's located, what it is, and if it even exists. Sorry, I'm no longer a believer. IMO, at best it's a simulation (mainstream Simulation theory/hypothesis) existing in the next level up, but after a lot of thought I've determined that higher level simulations does not make software any better except maybe faster if given equal resources. If the soul exists in one simulation up, it could be running on a slow computer that's merely linked to the mainframe that simulates our reality.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:35:08 pm by unreality »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

315 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles