absolutely nothing motor controller

• 45 Replies

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
Re: absolutely nothing motor controller
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 11:29:42 am »
I think I can sorta see how it works.  (im hopeless at it tho.)
thats cool use of a ground, being able to go to and from it, from the + and -,  is that why its called a triac?   because it uses +, - and ground?

Does this triac spin,  or does it actually rest a motor at a position?  I cant tell.

Doesnt look over complicated,  I probably prefer this to a H-bridge.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 12:07:09 pm »
You can think of a triac as a kind of high power bi-directional transistor or an analogue relay. It will handle large loads and is designed for accurate current regulation. 

The second diagram does use a split power supply to enable the geared DC motor to reverse, and the LM741 is acting as the voltage comparator.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2591

Its worth investing in a decent breadboard/ prototyping board if your really going to build your own circuits… makes life much easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard

If you are not using pre-built USB control boards, you are still going to need some method to get the control voltages/ codes/ instructions out of your computer.

I’ve used simple LDR’s before, you place a strip of LDR’s across the bottom of your monitor and by simply altering the brightness of the pixels under the LDR you can control motors, relays, etc. It also obviously provides optical isolation of your project. Simple LDR circuit…

The Light Detecting Resistor (LDR) just changes resistance depending on the level of light falling upon it, this alters the + at the base of the NPN transistor, which is balanced (biased) by the pot to negative.  The load/ LED can be swapped for a relay etc.

These are very handy bits of kit... 16 outputs and 16 inputs...

https://www.robotshop.com/uk/phidgets-1012-sensor-interface.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJvNuYPJ2wIVSr7ACh3MTAU7EAQYASABEgL1OfD_BwE

:)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:50:40 pm by korrelan »
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 12:20:31 pm »
As I see it,  apart from the battery/power source, a robot is a framework/skeleton + powered joints + motor drivers + brain/computer.

So we were talking about motor drivers here.

How have you handled the powered structure that contains the circuit.

What im planning on doing,  is making 4 dc motor cross junctions (for x and y freedom), then connecting them with double sided half rings (which hurt my angular freedom a bit.) then connecting these together with pipes.

All I have is solder to connect things together, and im stuck where to find these half rings I need, which slide over each other.

But I want to solve the whole robot with one kind of connection, im too lazy otherwise.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 03:52:53 pm »
Kind of looks as if you're describing a "Universal universal joint".
Imagine if we had articulated cars like some construction equipment.

Are you thinking of these joints for wheeled, tracked or legged robotic applications?

@ Korrelan - I wasn't pointing at your comment, just on basically how society has adjusted and dumbed down warning labels and other notices in general out of fear of lawsuits or other threats. Common sense has left the building, better yet the planet!
Coffee is hot - Why?
Ice is cold - Who would have thought?
Flammable liquids are flammable - Imagine that!
Electric circuits can shock or electrocute you! - Hmm...really?
Slippery when wet - Ya think?
Small pieces and plastic bags can become choking hazards if left near an infant and irresponsible parents or guardians!
Come on people!

Just venting a tad...been a rough week.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 05:04:18 pm »
dont put your baby in the tupperware.

on my body work->  (and the universal joint)
Its for an X-walker, of course.  and its for every joint of it, yes,  UUJ.  I guess its why they call them universal because they can be used by themselves for a robo. it turns out mine is going to be pretty big, i wonder if the motors can lift it?  or i need longer and thicker ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfZLozYET-4&feature=youtu.be

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 12:20:57 am »
If that guy in the video was you then I really liked the design. I did leave a comment as well.

Don't forget about PVC, Aluminium in both round and/or square tubes. Lastly you might run across some carbon fiber tube sections.
You can also use channels with back to back or front to front with two sections of flat bar along each length.

The Plastic / PVC might serve as a good prototype because it's easily obtainable, cheap and the sections can be easily cut and connected/glued.

Some more wood for the fires in your mind. Do I smell smoke? Hehe... O0

Keep working it!

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 12:31:01 am »
Seems more understandable drawn by hand.

My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 12:41:36 am »
Thanks alot Art,    now im getting nervous. :)

Yes, i saw a few PVC robots on U-tube,   devious idea.
Ill settle on something,  just need a bit of time.

8PLA->
For the simplicity of doing it that way,  kinda -> "sans motor controllers"
I have to sacrifice power to get it,  im not getting the full delivery of the battery,  thats why using a well crafted transistor circuit makes it more efficient to the power source,
so I have to start from a hotter beginning.
Im just off to the shop to get a better range of resistance to finally nail it...  and ill post the vid here,  maybe later on today.  I just have to make it to the electronics store and im getting a pack of high watt resistors better suited to the job and order 20 more dc motors,  cause ive ruined alot of them and i had too many delays, even just to get to here.

I think its going to be pretty sharp and fast,  even tho its actually a log action how the motor changes its position,  just depends on how much power i give it.

(on the computer communicating with it. - like that card Korrellan showed.)
I have a "pre brain" drawn up ready to go in too, cause the computer wont be in it at first, that remembers a programmed posture.
After that ill be finished stuffing around and ill go for the whole kaboodle again.  but, i bet there is going to be heaps more problems.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:49:36 am by ranch vermin »

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 03:20:45 pm »
WHAT, IS, THAT THING!?

Lol omg that is so cool.

What is the thing levitating doing? And is this the hard drive thing or your main robot project?...
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:51 pm »
;D

little baby steps im slowly getting there.

It looks way too overcomplicated compared to what its doing,  theres wires all over the place on it,  but all it is mostly, is a "multitap resistor" so i can get the varying resistance i need - to send the tab left and right.

I think for certain now,  theres not going to be a single transistor in my circuits,  as long as i have my capacitors, resistors and my devious RC oscillator to go with them,   i wont need a transistor ever again.   just to put a bit of personality into my circuits.  8)

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »
Not sure just a guess but what about a hydrolic pump motor that slowly pushed a rod out left/right/left/right very small amounts in change? 3 of them woul also allow 3D position in anywhere of a 3D box.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 03:50:06 pm »
yep.   thats basicly what this thing is,   its 1 dimension of a 3d printer.   You can do it hydrolicly too yes,  maybe hydrolics has some advantages.

So im off to the shop again tomorrow with my resistor adjustment,  then ill scoop all the resistors off the board and replace and rewire them all and hopefully this thing will finally work.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:08 pm »
Hydraulics like steam are extremely powerful but the downside to both is that they generate a LOT of Pressure and Heat. After all, hydraulic pistons rely on pumps to push a liquid through a cylinder be it hoses, tubes or valves. That pump requires a motor which needs to be on whenever the pump is actuated (in most cases - thinking pressurized reservoir). So the Motor and Pump both generate heat which needs to be properly dissipated or vented. Not saying that small hydraulic pumps can't work in robotics they just might not prove to be very practical. Steam, on the other hand, would likely win you a big prize at the nearest Robotic Steampunk Convention!! LOL!

Some experimenters have also tried using pneumatics which is like a small air pump pushing a volume of air through valves, tubes, and cylinders.  I'm just not a big fan of that Whoosh-pop sshhhh...noise every time something like an arm or leg moves. Then again that's just me.

There's always outdoor SOLAR robots that work well on sunny days! OK Kidding here a bit!

There are many robotics sources for parts, controllers, batteries, etc. all over the net.

Lots to choose from.
Best of luck in your endeavors O0

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »
So it's a Turing tape?

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm
AI-Generated Art Cannot Receive Copyrights
by frankinstien (AI News )
August 24, 2023, 08:49:45 am

Users Online

148 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 248. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles