In the race of the Need for Speed...

• 17 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
In the race of the Need for Speed...
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:14:24 pm »
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
Re: In the race of the Need for Speed...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:10:11 am »
Ive got an idea for a super computer myself.

I got the idea by accidentally looking at how they make cd's.
When they press cd's dvds, even old school vinyl,  they actually get all the music data in one hit off the injection moulder!   thats the equivilent of having 4 gigbits (for the dvds) all at the same time in a single copy operation!

The computers we are on now, only put through 32 bits at once,   our harddrives are so big, but the compution inlet is very small.   theres something that someone could fix there?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:29:33 am by ranch vermin »

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:23:37 pm »
It almost sounds as if you're comparing Storage space (GigaBytes...not Gigabits), to data access via Fiber Optic data access/transfer. Huge difference.

The CD's and DVD's will give way to Streaming of data for music, video and dare I say Gaming. In fact, a lot of people believe that those Sony Playstations and XBOX's will soon be something akin to the electric typewriter on a dusty shelf in the second-hand store.

Online streaming data access is where it's going to be. Storage will be more cloud-based as a lot of it already is. Why would a person even need to keep all their "private" information locally...on their personal computer in their room at home? - Really?

The Need for Speed will be our ultimate undoing.

Faster A.I. - Faster Robotics - Facial Tracking, Movement throughout your day, etc. Blink...you're already there!  O0

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:32:08 pm »
@ranch, what about a huge stamp with many trillions of pins that pound a electrical stamp sensor below many times per second that send signals down pin lines?.......just an idea......
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:48:53 pm »
@ranch, what about a huge stamp with many trillions of pins that pound a electrical stamp sensor below many times per second that send signals down pin lines?.......just an idea......

Yes, thats the idea, and it all goes through at once.   

But it would be so hard putting down 44 trillion pins,  I have to try and clean sweep it some how, with some homogeonous surface.

Just think a piece of paper can have as many dots as you want on it (a piece of paper is in the zotta bits i think :) ),  u just have to read it off somehow.

Im actually running an emulator which is doing pattern matching that could be run on it,  just need to think....  how the hell do i get 44 trillion parallel apartments?  and it isnt easy...

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:50:11 pm »
Ranch, I've been thinking about that idea some time ago.

Suppose we have a function that takes a 3d mesh as input and gives a bitmap as output (classic 3d rendering function). Theoretically, it should be possible to design an one cycle hardware circuit with input and output wide enough to hold the input and output data, that would adjust output according to input. I think that would represent a great accelerator, but to design such a circuit, we should have some kind of compiler from a language in which the function is described, to hardware transistor setup. That would assume having some automatic transistor assembler, but I think it could work.

But there still might be a few itches about representing program loops.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 12:55:07 pm »
Nice idea ivan.

Well, factories that make 2TB hard drives make all the bits on a disc and sets them to 0s...

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 01:16:50 pm »
Ranch, I've been thinking about that idea some time ago.

Suppose we have a function that takes a 3d mesh as input and gives a bitmap as output (classic 3d rendering function). Theoretically, it should be possible to design an one cycle hardware circuit with input and output wide enough to hold the input and output data, that would adjust output according to input. I think that would represent a great accelerator, but to design such a circuit, we should have some kind of compiler from a language in which the function is described, to hardware transistor setup. That would assume having some automatic transistor assembler, but I think it could work.

But there still might be a few itches about representing program loops.

One cycle hardware is thrilling and spoiling.   makes you less interested in normal computer hardware.

Thats ok, but ive got my own idea about this. (putting a program on it.)
I think you could put the program on the "paper" itself,  and you keep space left for computation,  if u were charging backwards and forwards continually on the paper, you could actually "propagate" the data across and it slowly turns into the output, when its finishes filling.  it also allows for constant data to be represented at the start position, and it gets to stay there because its got separate space for output, input and intermediate.

the current setup im thinking about, with a grid of capacitors, is theres 2 layers, and they both via differently, so you get different overlaps,  and it "ands" as it goes through, and it "ors" as it fills across,  so ive got and + or,  and thats a unified logical combination, thatll make any fixed program.

so its like a hardisk,  but some apartments turn on together - and thats what causes the computation to be possible. 

So in this setup its not one cycle,  it has to get through the propagation steps,   but then its free to release the frame once it gets there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:32:33 pm by ranch vermin »

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »
Nice idea ivan.

Well, factories that make 2TB hard drives make all the bits on a disc and sets them to 0s...

yes. i wonder if they can actually start them off with data instantaniously as well.   somethings "fishy" here me'thinks.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:07:24 pm »
Wait but even if you access tons of data like that, the computation using math still must happen in the billions of transistors in a processor...

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:49:23 pm »
Wait but even if you access tons of data like that, the computation using math still must happen in the billions of transistors in a processor...

you needent have an alu, a schedulor, or any cache.  they are just there optionally.
All you really need to do is carry out truth tables.   and if you have AND + OR,   or ANY + INVERT, you can put the alu on it,  an alu is just truth tables (really anything is.)   

... and it are not that big....

If you want to carry out logic,  which can be any program imaginable,  u just need (or could be) AND + OR,  and u can do any program.   it needent be transistors,  im planning on doing logic with just capacitors.  logic takes ANY form,  you can make a *mechanical* AND gate if you want.   

Any component has some logical effect,  needent be a transistor,  their use isnt really for logic,  its to turn a quiet current into a loud current.  logic itself doesnt require amplification, it stays at the same amp throughout the process.

and again... you needent have transistors to amplify either.   if you put a big cap after a small cap, they either charge together fully, or not at all.  (GO FARADAY!) just like a transistor, anyway.

And u can also get a similar effect out of a mechanical relay.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:26:59 pm by ranch vermin »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:39:35 pm »
ok i'm lost

can u draw it?

I got left behind at this - a rod with a plate at the end and on the bottom of the plate is trillions of little prick pins....... xD

truth tables ok i kinda get what u mean but really not seeing the device....please draw it in detail (and not too crypto ranch lol!)

I did think of something....instead of a HDD head searching & retrieving 1 bit at a time, why not it look like a tooth brush and retrieve a sector at the same instant? All you do is make sure the computer saves the whole same program in 1 area instead of being scrambled around separated. ?

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:50 am »
Logic is an inherent property of the universe. 

All you need to create a ‘computer’ is a pile of stones and a set of rules.

Think... abacus.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:02 pm »
yep.   thinking only electricity can do it is bad thinking created by the times.

logic to me comes to a motion transfer,  so if up and down go in,  and left and right go out, logic has happened.  it has "transformed."

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 06:03:20 pm »
@ Korrelan - The Abacus maker walks up to an abacus owner and hands him one bead. The owner looks at it then at the guy and asks, "What's this?"
The maker says, "It's the latest Update!"

===============================

OK...Years ago there was talk that a Japanese company had been experimenting with 3D storage technology for memory.
Imagine one Period/Dot at the end of this sentence.
Now knowing where that Dot is located, place another Dot directly on top of the previous one.
Then repeat this several more times but noting the relative position of each Dot that's in a particular Row and Column and Vertical position and the data that they contain (since a single dot can hold hundreds of bits of data).
Can one imagine how much data could be stored on a single postage stamp in this 3D configuration? Oh yeah...you bet, a lot!!

There's 3D X-Point and some NNANDS etc. but I think they were talking about something far better and faster.

Interesting concept and maybe we're not that far away.

I remember 'bubble memory' way back in the day so there!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

325 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
ivan.moony
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles