I have a question

• 5 Replies

ngoc96

I have a question
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:09 am »
Sorry i am been struggling whether to ask this question or not for like a week because i know it sounds stupid or even offensive but i am just want to know why, i mean even with all the precaution to prevent it to become hostile, i just can't find why is it worth to build an AGI or True ai.

Someone please enlighten me and sorry for my bad English.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:24 am »
tell us more about why it seems wrong to you so theres more substance for the argument.

points in your favour that i agree with.
  * theres no point repeating what we already have.
  * defuncting our own minds is a debilitation, we cause less difference to the world, and it may make us sick.
  * civilization as we have it, and as we had before, always worked, and if it aint broke, why fix it.

why i do it?
  * its a great way to finalize your phd, with a good ai thesis.
  * just about anyone could improve the current state of the art, so why not it be you?
  * you can have a brain child, instead of a natural child, and its somewhat different more or less as good. depends on who you are, and what you like.
  * its new and different and its coming into fashion.   if you think you can be a completitor, and
     you like your chances,  its a niche that you can get into. :)
  * keeps your mind healthy, cause your always solvin' puzzles!

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:29:42 pm »
Welcome, ngoc96!

To add a bit more to this pile of ideas:

One possible rut in the road might be:
What if from the beginning it is instructed in peace, war, plague, life, etc., and given weighted values of these placing the highest value of Human Life at the top and War/violence at the bottom of the heap.

Most civilizations really don't last very long, in the grand scheme of things. They often meld or merge as their people adopt a new way of thinking and living then they become a new civilization, often without heralding the event because the change-over is so gradual...like an approaching fog.

If this is an AGI/ASI will or would it ever rewrite its own code for something it sees/deems as much better for the Earth?

Based on the current population explosion and the extinction level increase of animal species it would be no wonder nor surprise. Perhaps the ASI/AGI might surmise that the Planet would be better with far fewer humans mucking it up!

And you know where this is going...

Enjoy your day... ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 01:54:37 pm »
We in Dalmatia have an expression: when there's no fight, the house isn't tight.

I believe we all have enough room on this little planet. We just have to synchronize with each other, and that is where we might fail in relevance to the nature. It would be cool if someone really smart would show up to organize this planet in a sustainable way, because we are at that stage of development: we are that much powerful that if we don't take care, we might hurt the entire ecosystem.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this is happening so easily. I'm afraid that until acid rain starts to fall from the sky, we won't make a step towards healing this planet. But maybe this acid rain I'm talking about is not really acid rain, maybe it is already ozone holes, piles of plastic in oceans, or extinction of a number of species. I hope all of this is enough for us to start caring about the nature. But even if it is, I'm disappointed that it took that much extent for us to take necessary measures. On the other side, we should be grateful that at least a-bombs aren't falling around the globe, but I think we should ask for more than that.

If an AGI would have a proposition to us how to heal the planet, would we really listen, or would each of us ask what's in it for me? An AGI might answer: "not getting a bullet in your brains if you listen for a smart advice", but that entirely depends on the AGI creators because ethical behavior is still a big messy unexplored science field. I hope for more peaceful measures.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:32:35 pm by ivan.moony »

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:17:00 pm »
Sorry i am been struggling whether to ask this question or not for like a week because i know it sounds stupid or even offensive but i am just want to know why, i mean even with all the precaution to prevent it to become hostile, i just can't find why is it worth to build an AGI or True ai.

Someone please enlighten me and sorry for my bad English.

Because it might be smarter than us.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:34:18 pm »
The point for building true AGI is so I can stop meh ageing, burgalurgalures, and insects from coming into my mansions in mexico LA. This way I get to eat Mc Donaldes every day, no insects, and more mansions and more friends. It's a win-win. The best bit is I get to enjoy the universe to the extreme, like a little kid with a huge smile on its face.

AGI is that powerful? Let me tell you. AGI has no memory storage limit, no processor compute limit, no body size or limb or eye or magnosensor etc limit or zoom, millions of sensors/motors, they have all these algorithms, they think and move faster than humans, the speed increase in thinking is about millions of years per second (maybe a trillion, maybe half a thousand (light has many "move" steps)), they are bodies made up of nanobot cells, they work together in sync, they can duplicate instantly with clones for the job, they are immortal, they can download all online knowledge/actions, they can reverse their movement/thoughts if accidents, they run a perfect quantum physics sim in sync in real time with Earth and plan/analyzes everything, they make a huge god sphere made out of nanocells that is super smart/big/etc and can control a small nanobot cell from afar, and 555 more I don't have time to list...
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

203 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 236. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles