Who here has actually went to university to study/work on AI?

• 15 Replies

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Not talking about mathematics, graphs, geometry, circuit boards, computer theory, etc.

I mean, who here has went to university, to study/work on AI?

Also, who here is a professor of any field? Anyone?
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
Re: Who here has actually went to university to study/work on AI?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 04:20:00 am »
I don't have a degree in AI nor was it my study focus, but I did audit the Advanced AI course when I was at university.

It wasn't as helpful as I was expecting. I'm not saying the class was bad, just not quite what I was looking for ... many of the topics appeared more applicable to simple data-mining than anything like building a mind.  And when we did discuss something that seemed useful, it was difficult to see how to apply it.  The class was kinda aimed at preparing CS majors for academia ... much time was spent reading and discussing specific papers, which didn't help participants gain a comprehensive working knowledge of the field.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:29:27 am »
I never went to uni properly, but at the university of western australia I wrote a polygon rasterizing engine for my older brother for him to pass in as his work, aced the class for him, and got him a programming job. :)

But no.    no ai work.

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Developing Conversational AI (Natural Language/ML)
    • Spydaz_Web
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:58:23 am »
I went to 2 universities....returning to work lecturing in the first....

1 Masters of science - Data science ( R / Machine Learning /Adv Statistics ) /  1 Bachelors of science -  Business Intelligence(Machine Learning)/Computer Science
All heavy focus on Big Data / Machine learning / System design / Software development  / grid computing / Formal Logic......

And Previously (Electronics / Electromechanical Engineering / Micro-processing / C & C++ driver development programming) (hnc) <just lower then bachelors..

there has never really been a bsc in AI in the UK (its graph theory / Search methods etc  Various algorithms and some AI theory)  ...

After attending they wanted me to design a AI course..... I lectured in Informatics ..... Got real bored real Quick....

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 06:33:58 am »
Exciting resume!!!   :D

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:31:20 am »
I didnot..

Do you think auditing AI courses is important? What are your opinions about it?

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:41:42 am »
All I know I learned off the grid, reading a lots of programming books, some papers on AI that seemed interesting, and a lot of experimenting in programming. Today, Wikipedia is my starting point when I want to learn something. Mostly, after Wikipedia, I don't learn further, but I find my own solutions. But sometimes I read a paper or two, if a field I want to investigate seems mature.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:58:04 am »
I'm sticking to home learning too.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:07:49 am »
I'm sticking to home learning too.

Helps if you code at least a little bit too, LockySuity.

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
    • Spydaz_Web
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 02:32:43 pm »
Exciting resume!!!   :D
Its only a snippet.... I search for years for a AI course in uk but there was none. (mainly only online) one in Edinburgh uni (but its about search and machine learning).....

Your current knowledge of AI is probably greater than what they are offering....

Most of my main learning ... was online but often you need structured learning and to hear and ask questions as well as be forced to produce projects based on what you learn...

Often with online courses you do many things to help your learning or just take what you want.. or need.... so a lot is lost... hence the need for experimentation... as well as the thought process and think to understand that your way is not the only way... some projects really only have one way to do it well...

But!
The only exams which were very hard we the Microsoft / Cisco Exams.... sometime although you know the knowledge physically .. answering the question/ problem is not so easy... as language has a lot to do with it... Microsoft often had questions which mean one thing in English but another in the american thinking... some countries teach you everything about a subject ... where as some just skim the ideas... making all degrees unequal...

I went to uni in my 40's..... i now owe them 60,000..... but no worrys i'm brexiting ...

Uni was ok i should have gone when i was young... i only went to prove to other that actually i already know this .... the papers and letters are not for me! its for those who would doubt your experience and validity.... it shuts them up!..... that why its important not to just go and have full or get low marks .... whats the point.... so use the online learning to prepare you and you will find it merely a formality.... i wish i had money i would do a few more bits.... but really its about on foot research now....Hence Turkey and Malta the melting pots of human language ....

If i'm your tutor there is no way you can fail the class! unless you actually dont turn up!...

Romainia has some very cheep degrees ... highly focused on Neural networking  (£900).each term Three terms.. <<< wow >> but you also have to take a school level Romanian language class too...

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
    • Spydaz_Web
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 02:41:16 pm »
I didnot..

Do you think auditing AI courses is important? What are your opinions about it?

Its important to collect the courses as you cant take all the information in.... Funny with AI no two courses are the same!... i use such courses as a library on my computer so when i need to create the algorhtym's i can rewatch and take the notes i need to do whatever calculations i need... i don't remember most formulae's now..... plus each person has a different teaching style every body need to find their good lecturer... i try to explain as if to a child(well for me they usually are ...lol) ... this is why people generally like me... but this all comes from watching so many courses and explanations.... you pick up the best techniques!

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 03:49:51 pm »
Thats cool Spyda,   I believe you are telling the truth.

Best methods I know to go research and learn,   is "data manifolds", "world models" and anything near neighbour related.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 05:02:12 pm »
When I was at university there weren't enough people interested in AI to run the class if I recall correctly.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 08:26:29 pm »
I went to university for the express purpose of studying artificial intelligence and robotics. I had to choose between an applied science degree and a theoretical degree. Fortunately I chose the theoretical degree because it has provided me with a solid framework for continuous learning for over thirty years. I graduated in the top five percent with a Bachelor of Science Degree. I chose not to continue with postgraduate study, though I often wish that I had. Getting a degree is just the beginning, it is not worth much without effort and experience, but with a degree, the effort is more productive and the experience is gained faster.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:13 pm »
Woah thats amazing you actually passed!

I dont know how anyone manages to actually do that.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

274 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles