Wireless signaling in the cm range. Looking for ideas.

• 7 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Wireless signaling in the cm range. Looking for ideas.
« on: September 05, 2018, 03:48:29 am »
So I've got tiny solar panels, and lights to power the electronic neurons. So the power input is fine. The theory of getting them to communicate using light keeps running into problems. Lack of power (for leds), orientation of detectors & emitters, low amount of information in a blinking led...  I should probably try a different strategy.

Maybe something electromagnetic because that's short range. But then again maybe a preexisting technology because it's cheap.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding some glow in the dark powder to the gel containing the neurons. Partly because it might help during power hiccups and with light dispersion, but mostly it'll look cool. Coincidentally it'll have to be red glow in the dark powder because that's what the solar cells are most sensitive to. Jeez... Sometimes I wonder if my avatar is influencing my choices.

So yeah, if you can think of anything for signaling.

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
Re: Wireless signaling in the cm range. Looking for ideas.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:40:59 pm »
If you want to stick with light-based communication, maybe look into the established designs for opto-isolators/optocouplers?  I think they're basically doing what you want, except that they are typically sold with the LED and receiver inside a single enclosed package.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:25 am »
Thanks, found lots of examples of established working circuits. Maybe I'll find some useful designs.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 02:29:52 am »
light based communication wouldnt have a very good bandwidth for passing signals around.  u only have rgb, and thats it,  and theres barely any difference there,  because it all has to soup together into one pool no?

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:01:44 am »
You're right. If it's isolated you can signal with light frequency (on of, on of, type of frequency). But with my set up that would be too power intensive and confusing for the receivers because there are so many lights. Electric signals and photonic power it shall be then.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:51:15 am »
Shouldnt hurt your idea.   How do u go understanding ultrasonic?    As far as I know, something has to mechanically generate it, like a speaker, and then u pick it up off a wire,  then filters maybe,  but you wouldnt want to overcomplicate it, i think.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 05:49:10 am »
Actually yeah... Sound waves are remarkably low energy. My watch has one tiny battery and I have been hearing it tick once a second for multiple years. Ok! Good idea! And if it's ultra sonic it won't interfere with regular hearing. Yes... Hopefully it can be localized so only nearby receivers detect a sound. And I might have to soundproof it from the outside world. But this is a good method if cells can't connect electrically.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 06:35:22 am »
Theres some good stuff on the net on it,   have to finally take the step and work out how your remote control cars work.   I dont know for sure,  but light, sound + microwaves all are kinda like light,   its not a lazer,  its actually bouncing in all directions its just your eye is a directional reciever.   and you can make microphones act directional as well.    if you put a sound kill wall in a tube,  eventually all the bouncing waves get killed by the absorber, and only the straight waves make it to your receptor...  then theres mirrors... and refraction...    but i dont know this for sure, i was just brainstorming the other day about it.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

265 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
WriterOfMinds
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles