infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
Back from the dead.
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:59:38 pm »
https://gizmodo.com/will-cryogenically-frozen-people-ever-be-revived-1829905516

Corpse-freezing hasn’t exactly gone mainstream, but most people are now familiar with the concept: you lay out a ton of cash, sign some papers, and spend a couple post-death decades in a cutting-edge meat locker, calmly awaiting the conditions for your eventual revival. Over 300 cold, dead Americans—or dead, cold American brains, depending on which procedure they opted for (whole-body vs. brain-only)—can currently be found in storage facilities across the country. All of them took a gamble—one that was pretty cheap, metaphysically speaking: the worse case scenario here is just continued death.

For the time being, that is also the only scenario. Only time will tell whether these extremely dead optimists will once more, someday, get stuck in traffic, and/or roam an uncanny Singularity-scape with their AI-abetted computer brains. But we can at least start to guess whether—or if—that day will ever come. For this week’s Giz Asks, we reached out to a number of neuroscientists, bioethicists, cryo advocates and skeptics to get some sense of what will happen to those frozen former consciousness-havers. Honestly it’s not looking good for them just yet—but the future’s main business is to show up the past’s myopia/blinkeredness, so, who knows!

This was a very interesting read. Though the subject is not directly related to AI, the contrast between the opinions of the doers and believers is comparable to that of those involved in AI. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the believers are pinning their hopes on the advent of super intelligence to solve all their problems.

My favorite quote from the article: "The only good thing we still reliably do for future generations is get out of their way."

TL;DR: If you're reading this, you are going to die forever.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
Re: Back from the dead.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 11:12:42 pm »
Interesting read.

Besides the ice crystals from the freezing process bursting/ splitting the cells, they flush the blood and cerebral fluid, which contains all the neurotransmitters, etc… there goes a key part of the person/ personality down the drain.  IMHO it’s impossible to revive a fresh brain once the brains stem ‘dies’ let alone a liquidised one.

Though the human popsicles may actually serve a purpose, one day an ASI is going to asked to revive them… and that moment will be the recorded in history as the first known instance of an ASI… laughing out loud.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 12:21:10 am »
It's a pity they didn't interview you for the article too Korrelan.

Though the human popsicles may actually serve a purpose, one day an ASI is going to asked to revive them… and that moment will be the recorded in history as the first known instance of an ASI… laughing out loud.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Maybe I need to drink more coffee before I get it. :)

Whether or not it will ever be possible to preserve a complex organism without damage is unknown, but for the foreseeable future, the processes involved are far too destructive and all the brains that have been preserved so far are unrecoverable mush, just as you and most of the experts interviewed say. No amount of forensic intelligence will be able to retrieve and reconstruct them when so much information has been destroyed.

However, every cloud has a silver lining. Even if resurrection is a hopeless fantasy, the technology to preserve and reuse organs would be an enormous leap forward for medicine. If organs could be donated (dare I say harvested) and stored as readily as blood is today, many many lives would be changed for the better.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 03:02:15 am »
To send a little "chill" down your spines, here's how one source explains the procedure...

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/cryonics2.htm

Just Chill out!! ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »
I wonder how much just being in a cooler home helps, does the body get ill and is why we like the perfect temp? Or does being cold in your house make u last longer?
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:57 pm »
Locksuit, there are only two things that have been demonstrated to help you live longer: drinking lots of coffee, and getting lots of exercise. In fact according to an extensive study just published, the more exercise you get, the longer you are likely to live. Getting no exercise at all is the surest way to die soon, so you're screwed.

http://time.com/5430203/new-study-not-exercising-worse-than-smoking/

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:56:13 pm »
I sit a lot :)

brain always exercising
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:37:36 pm »
Both of my Doctors agree with the consensus that, "If you Don't move you Won't move!"

Just keep sitting there eating those twinkies ('snacks') and drinking soda while surfing the web.
Very soon you'll find out why that's not a good thing.

It's akin to explaining to a smoker that smoking is the single most harmful thing one can do to their body.
They have heard it many times before but they feel pretty good right now so it's not affecting them.

All things come to those who wait...meaning give it a bit more time...and they'll see. (or maybe not).

Exercising your brain is good but remember...The main purpose of your body is to carry its brain around!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 11:08:01 pm »
I have some of my best ideas/ insights whilst exercising/ walking , even the way you breathe makes a difference.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 11:50:55 pm »
Well as korr stated freezing is very hard on cells. They are studying animals to see if they can adapt what they do to humans but I am not sure far along that paticular part of it is.
So sue me

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

280 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles