Yes, the Octopus Is Smart as Heck. But Why?

• 27 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
Re: Yes, the Octopus Is Smart as Heck. But Why?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 09:10:45 pm »
Good examples! I was, of course, joking about the meds but you knew that,

God/universe?
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 04:55:44 am »
God/universe as in something complex I can say without the details.....like saying "nuclear plant".....you can superresolution it lots.....nuclear plant that has workers.......nuclear plant in US with a large room holding a metal object that has workers......etc

My point was we can say basically anything, even complex things like nebula with a white pony with a yellow curtain blind 5 feet away, and leave out details or not. Earth, god, ants, the ant that was red yesterday with a little triangle shaped neck and back roof top.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 08:15:57 am »
Sure, we can have the concept of everything, we call it universe. That's pretty wild and an amazing ability. But it doesn't mean we can think of anything. Just means we can create an imaginary box around the whole concept of existence.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 09:54:02 am »
What can't we think of? If you can say it, then you can think it...

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 11:28:22 am »
I was showing Hopefully Something that we can think of anything.

Nope we can’t… we can only say/ think of ideas/ concepts that we have experience of. 

I agree we can easily wax lyrical combining diverse concepts/ words but they basically mean nothing, so what’s the point?  They are not premonitions or even ideas about future technologies… just gobbledegook. It’s not ‘what’ we want to achieve, it’s… ‘how’ we achieve it that’s important/ required.

Indeed the human race is probably capable of anything/ everything, but only if given an infinite time frame… the human race does not have an infinite time frame.

If all you require is a personal utopia then I would suggest VR and a few I.V. lines lol.

Most of our advances these days are already achieved with the help of machines, we are currently using them as tools to enhance our intellects but they will of course one day take over all aspects of our technological development.

Anyway; Octopuses… three hearts, blue blood, nine brains… are fascinating creatures. 

They only have 500 million ish neurons and yet they seem to show a high level of intelligence, to me the question is how/ why?

A clue is the fact that a severed arm can still crawl on its own and even pick up food; this hints that the distributed nervous system is actually functioning as separate entities with a top down/ bottom up schema.  Each limb has a separate brain, and each sucker has its own ganglion along with thousands of neurons that can sense the environment, touch, taste, etc.

It’s seems to function like the CEO of a company with eight branch managers.  The CEO makes all the big decisions, states the direction and operation of the company and the managers are quite capable of operating without the guidance of the CEO.  The branch managers are skilled and proficient at their jobs and the CEO doesn’t need to know how they achieve their objectives, they just need to follow orders and report back progress… I suppose it’s a type of swarm intelligence.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 02:47:49 pm »
A perfect example of "Networking" on a more natural scale!  O0

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
Lock is octopus .... they code my command....and report back....

500 million...........

Korrrr, forget octopuses, cats have less neurons and are, ahem, enough said!

"cats have about 300 million neurons, whereas dogs have about 160 million"
"cats have 750M neurons"
"Dogs have 2B neurons"

Cats/dogs have any where from 160M-2B neurons, nonetheless we have seen them in action. The emotional intelligence is strong. Cats understand the world tons as in object>verb>object>verb language, monkeys do too.

Also I believe intelligence doesn't magically come with brain size, it scales...whatever brings the world of tomorrow knows how to do it, hopefully.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 11:55:37 pm »
Korrrr, forget octopuses, cats have less neurons and are, ahem, enough said!

Octopuses are important because they are part of the puzzle; they give clues to what generates intelligence, and the types of neural structures that can support intelligence.

As neural design goes… an octopus is a half way point between mammals and swarm intelligence like ants/ termites.

We aren’t trying to figure out which is the smartest, we are looking for insights into what creates/ drives intelligence. 

The goal is not to create a super human level intelligence; the goal is to understand how intelligence arises, the mechanisms and structures involved… it’s the understanding of ‘how’ that’s key… all you need is something that has 0.01% of human intelligence or even 0.0001%.

So long as it’s scaleable you have solved the AGI/ ASI problem.

:)

It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 12:50:14 am »
As neural design goes… an octopus is a half way point between mammals and swarm intelligence like ants/ termites.

What you are basically saying implies a possibility that an octopus is a multiple number of organisms in one. If that's right, I wonder does every instance has its own will.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 02:56:07 am »

What you are basically saying implies a possibility that an octopus is a multiple number of organisms in one. If that's right, I wonder does every instance has its own will.

Imagining being an octopus... ...sounds like being conjoined octuplets or having multiple personality disorder. But they make it work! Seems like biological intelligence is a very flexible robust system, many roads to Rome, sometimes you gotta have a discussion with your arm, whatever works.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 03:07:17 am »
Well, dogs/cats/octopuses don't often pass down to their kids, or even make much tools except for beds/traps/etc, they invent their own procedures (actions) more though, that they do of course. Using their body. They can watch by parent imitation, yes. Otherwise its experimentation. But do they ever have an idea in their mind that directs the experimentation, like how can a light up tunnel>X>how do X>etc? Probably. It's Prediction, SP.

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 05:14:57 am »
Why shouldn't an octopus be able to "multi-task" collective information to each of its 8 brain-equipped tentacles? We, humans, multi-task each day without even being aware of it. Our brain quietly signals our body to lean forward from a sitting position, shifting just the correct amount of our weight forward while we grasp the arms of our chair and simultaneously push upward with enough force to assist our legs in causing our body to raise and our abdomen and chest to lean still forward and our legs to begin straightening along with our arms as we finally arrive at a standing position to which our ankles and feet make tiny adjustments to compensate. We are standing.

All of that took on average less than 2 - seconds yet each movement to each affected limb was smoothly choreographed as if performing a scripted sequence from a dance. We do this and countless other motions every day without thinking about it. So does the octopus. It doesn't have a thumb but rather hundred of grippers and in an environment where it is almost weightless. Not much need for a skeleton or exoskeleton. It's just a cool, smart creature. I'd love to have my own large aquarium and a tiny, young octopus to raise and conduct learning and intelligence experiments with. That would be one cool job to have.

Regarding other animals other than cats and dogs, part of what makes us "intelligent" or superior in our own minds is the fact that we (along with some primates) have an opposable thumb, communicate, can think and reason, gain and recall newly learned knowledge and fashion tools, There are other qualifications as well depending on one's sources.

Some animals certainly fashion tools for use in obtaining food, teach their young or others in their group, techniques or learned behaviors. Gulls will often take a large clam shell high into the sky then drop it, several times if needed for the shell to finally pop open displaying its contents for the awaiting gull to swoop down to eat. Some whales have learned and taught to others in their "family" group herding of schools of fish so that they can all devour large quantities of the fish. A pack of hyenas will encircle a wounded or weakened animal as will many other species.
This is learned behavior.

How does a little hummingbird migrate hundreds of miles or possibly thousands of miles only to be able to return to the exact place the following year? (no GPS).

What I have learned about dogs and cats is that there's nothing they can't figure out or get to if they want to badly enough...especially if they work in tandem to solve it!
Dogs and Cats (and parrots, etc.) have learned to train humans pretty well to attend to their needs. They bark or scratch to let us know to let them out or back in, or if they're hungry. Porpoises have trained humans to throw fish at them if they do stupid tricks for the humans! What a gig! ;)

Just passing through... O0

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 10:25:59 pm »
nanobots - octopus ---- arm still functions!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

304 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles