ONE CODE TO RULE THEM ALL?

• 4 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
ONE CODE TO RULE THEM ALL?
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:48:56 am »
Could intelligence run on things other than logic? I'm thinking a mimicry program guided by instincts could work too. Our whole perception of existence is the result of our insides trying to copy our outsides. Humans can take the same thing a step further, we can learn to represent the world in our heads with symbols. There are three levels "Monkey experience monkey do."  "Monkey see monkey do." "Monkey explain monkey do." But they all use the same principle of mimicry of "doings" in service to instincts. The difference is the amount of resolution required for comprehension. It keeps dropping and so intelligence keeps rising. Just a theory, but I like the simplicity of the holy grail program. One code to rule them all!

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Re: ONE CODE TO RULE THEM ALL?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 01:11:07 am »
If you think about it, the whole nature is about copying elements. The life started to thrive when the first molecule gained the possibility to reproduce itself - copying. Millenniums of reproducing with variations and natural selection made human. The other side is intellect, again reproducing what is seen, but with variations - copying.

Logic is just a tool to accomplish copying. And it isn't guaranteed that it is the only system that makes copying possible. Look at programming languages: a whole variety of paradigms meant to reproduce real world abstractions, the most of them Turing complete, and when they are not Turing complete, that is usually for a reason: reject some of possibilities to provide a better tool for a subset of tasks, or to achieve better performance.

I believe human mind has at least two layers: a slow general one that we are conscious about, and a variety of specific unconscious fast hard-coded algorithms (i.e. to move eyes, to keep balance, to control the body, ...)

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:33:02 am »
OK, so we can hard-code skills like riding bikes and catching balls, and it makes us much more efficient. I wonder what it means that we can't hard-code thinking?

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:03:21 am »
Maybe I labelled it clumsy. What I meant is that with thinking we can do anything, it is Turing complete, and given enough time, we can literally do any process. I mean in thinking, things like math are not hardcoded in a sense of specific functions like addition or multiplication. No shortcuts or dirty tricks that programmers are commonly used to when doing AI. We have one clean algorithm that is capable of describing anything in the Universe. Actually, I don't know how to label this emergent.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:07:55 am »
Thinking, mind, language, understand world, plan sequences. LSTMs. Change world.

Natural cloning of ideas.
Artificial replication, desires, faster than natural.
Both test actions, and get better.

Vectors, anologies. A good quote from Jeff Hawkins:
   "Finding a solution to a problem is literally finding a pattern in the world, or a stored pattern in your cortex that is analogous to the problem you are working on. Try taking the parts of your problem and rearranging them in different ways— literally and figuratively."
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm
AI-Generated Art Cannot Receive Copyrights
by frankinstien (AI News )
August 24, 2023, 08:49:45 am

Users Online

194 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 248. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles