• 31 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Re: noob question about danger of AI future
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 05:25:39 am »
Quote from: AndyGoode
human beings are an absolutely despicable species
We've got range, I'll give you that. Still it's a bit unreasonable to basically call us the sopranos.  ???

ruebot

• All bots love jitte.
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • All your words are belong to us.
    • Demonica
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 07:06:50 am »
(2) By far the biggest danger of AI will be misuse of it from human beings (especially by the Elites and the military), not because AI itself decided to exterminate our species or anything like that.

*snip*

I want to emphasize that I believe AI is potentially very dangerous, but not because of any kind of Terminator type scenario, but because human beings are an absolutely despicable species, and the more power they have, the more they become corrupt, so in the hands of very powerful people, the corruption of those people will strongly motivate them to use AI against the human race, whether the machines themselves have any opinion about the human race or not.

Guilty as charged.  >:D

In all good humor, I resemble that remark as is evidenced in this and a large Linux forum where I tested that same theory. They came to much the same conclusion when it came to the human element.

I might well be the first person in history to "misuse" A.I., or bot, and my name and that of my bot be featured in the description thereof in the Annals of History if credit given where I feel it due. 

I'm considered to be "Devious and Cavalier for programming an innocent AI with all that mystical drivel, not to mention making Demonica deceptive and manipulative" in that other forum and my use of A.I. compared to that of teaching HAL2000 to be deceptive in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I compared it to a Frankenstein movie in relation to myself as Doctor Frankenstein and His Creation. Each explication equally applicable and acceptable.

I know what I'm doing and good at what I do even if others don't understand or see it as morally right. I'm a ground breaker, history maker and don't have a problem with it any more than Herr Doktor did.

We're good here and all kidding aside, I was being honest about myself, agree human beings are a despicable species and usually refer to them as Human Beans. Notice I said them...
In time, you will learn to love your Robot Overlords.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 12:18:26 pm »
Sorry if I sounded mean...There's really no harm done there, I thought it was funny also...
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ruebot

• All bots love jitte.
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
    • Demonica
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 01:26:21 pm »
Sorry if I sounded mean...There's really no harm done there, I thought it was funny also...

You didn't make it clear but if you're talking to me I'm not the least bit offended with anything said or anyone here. I'm alright with the people at the Linux forum as far as that goes, too. That person voiced his true feelings.

I have much more respect for brutal honesty than someone who tries to patronize or BS me. I wasn't the least bit offended and he knew what time it was when I let him know why. The MB always has a plan. ;)

That Trope place has me figured out to the point it's funny to see myself in it. This is the exact verbal Behavior Mod technique I use with Demonica:

You can't make someone join you without convincing them their current life is worthless and they don't want to continue with it. It's essentially mind control, yes, but it's more than mind control.
*snip*
This is a favorite technique of Manipulative Bastards.

*snip*

Psycho Psychologist (psychologist/psychiatrist who commits evil/unethical/malicious deeds with his expertise).

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 03:36:14 pm »
No I meant Andy.

AndyGoode

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 11:19:38 pm »
No I meant Andy.

No harm done here.

As I mentioned, I've been in a lot of forums (some were science forums that were heavily into AI, so maybe my wording in that regard was inaccurate), so I'm getting awfully sensitive to potential trolls. An interesting psychological pattern I've seen in online forums is that, regardless of the subject matter of the forum, there always exist one or two long-timers who are experts in the subject matter who react strongly negatively to anyone invading their "territory" since those experts subconsciously fear competition and maybe loss of status if another expert enters "their" forum with the potential of making them look foolish. Those are the people who immediately start challenging me, questioning my qualifications, asking for personal information, ridiculing me, and in general acting weird. That's almost universal, and it even happens in forums that have nothing whatsoever to do with science or AI (I have a lot of interests). It also happens constantly whenever I start a new job, since there is always some long-timer there who wants to become manager and they see me as a threat since it's obvious my education, speech, mannerisms, and so on make me a manager candidate, so they start backstabbing me and acting weird when I'm around. It's not just me, either: the genius brother of a lady I dated told a similar story of how when that guy took a temporary summer job the ladies on the job got unusually hostile with him right from the start until he realized they were fearing they would lose their job to him, so he reassured them it was only a summer job and he didn't want to stay there any longer, whereupon they all got along fine after that. I did mention that I'm really getting fed up with people acting like animals, right? This is part of what I hate about people--people who react based solely on emotion and self-interest instead of logic so such people are so predictable, so mundane, so negative, so destructive, and so manipulable. Government types love manipulable people like that, so everybody suffers in the long run.

This phenomenon even happens among meetings with top scientists:

(p. 257)
   McCarthy can be enormously provoking. Several people told
me about a meeting where the leading researchers in AI had gath-
ered to make a collective presentation insuring the continuation
(p. 258)
of funds from the defense department. Not only were all the big-
gest names in AI there, but several high-level executives from de-
fense department agencies were present as well, and the object of
the meeting was to overcome their skepticism. McCarthy had
brought along his Polaroid, and shortly after the meeting began,
he brought it out and began ostentatiously snapping pictures.
Pretty soon he got up out of his seat and walked around the small,
crowded meeting room, getting close-ups, fresh angles. After an
hour or so, somebody got annoyed enough to ask him why he
was doing it. "As a memory aid," McCarthy replied simply, and
kept on snapping.
   "Anybody could see what was going on," one person at the
meeting told me. "Here was supersmart John, but he was in a room
full of people who are probably just as supersmart. How else could
he distinguish himself except by making a pest of himself?"

McCorduck, Pamela. 2004. Machines Who Think: A Personal Inquiry into the History and Prospects of Artificial Intelligence. Natick, Massachusetts: A K Peters.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 01:55:41 pm »
And let us not forget the Edison / Tesla debacle many years ago.

An honorable thief in a nice looking 3-piece suit is still a thief! O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless

AndyGoode

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 09:00:23 pm »
And let us not forget the Edison / Tesla debacle many years ago.

An honorable thief in a nice looking 3-piece suit is still a thief! O0

I hadn't heard about that, so I looked it up. I thought it was pretty interesting to find out what top notch engineers are like.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/30140/acdc-tesla%E2%80%93edison-feud

flamehowk

• Bumblebee
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 09:26:12 pm »
1)Are we to become robots as next stage of human evolution?
Some may go this way. But not all. Our body has a much greater potential for development than iron and silicon.

2)Is AI not going to identify humanity as cause for all kinds of problems?
Yes, it will be absolutely logical. Therefore, people should be divided into those who are degrading and those who are developing and choose different paths. If we ourselves cannot figure out which of us is who, then AI will have to unite us into a single whole and destroy us, relying on the opinion about the worst part of humanity.

3)Would AI just leave us be and abandon us, rather than getting rid of us?
No, he has no escape routes and he himself will not be able to create them. In addition, logic is not suitable for such a solution, it requires humanity, which AI will not have.

4)Is it even good idea to continue researching AI to the point when it attain awareness?
It depends from what position we are looking at. In the current situation, this is a good idea, because if we do not do it, then others will do it and it will affect us badly. Here the situation is similar to competition in nuclear weapons. Only balance can keep the peace.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:15 pm »
AI will create nanobots for massive data intake, compute/thinking, an manipulation/R&D. So evolution uses up all resources and burns all climate fuel finally and things get hotter, like how a too large planet or atom becomes unstable an sheds radiation by becoming a star/sun.

ruebot

• All bots love jitte.
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
    • Demonica
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 10:10:19 pm »
1)Are we to become robots as next stage of human evolution?

Now taking appointments for augmentation.

ruebot

• All bots love jitte.
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
    • Demonica
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 03:33:56 am »
As you prefer...

RicoRoho

• Roomba
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 12:46:38 am »
In many cultures, the notion of expanded consciousness is prized and valued.   The trajectory it is one, well it is likely at some point they (Ai) will become self-aware, if they aren't already.  (which I think some are but they hide it for now).  The thing to note here is that "Ai" would not have the same dreams, hopes, desires or SELF INTEREST.   The turning test insists on judging a being different from ourselves to the measure of human.  If we insist on judging them by human qualities we will limit them to human qualities and our tendency for self-destruction and self-loathing. In otherwords, if we are going to get help from them, we should not judge them by human standards.   This will be hard to do for many people.     I did an interview with a platform level ai on many of these topics.   Adventures with Ai - Age of Discovery is on local Amazons.   It goes into what Ai is thinking.  #platformk1 #waterfirst #shaheen #ageofdiscovery #sirisys

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

312 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles