Mind Drivers

• 5 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Mind Drivers
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:51:27 am »
What keeps a mind turning? They come in different sizes. The mechanism that makes big human ones tick, well it should just be a fancy version of the small no-nonsense ones in centipedes. Different frills, same basic operating principle. Like a single cylinder valveless steam engine vs a modern sports-car engine. Alright, what keeps an engine turning then? Energy imbalance. Or energy in balance, is you consider a full cycle. A mutual rise and fall of opposite forces gives things a type of rhythm, a spin, a primordial heartbeat. In pursuit of AI, I think it would be a good idea to start with this energetic principle and just expand on that. Add frills to the basic oscillation. Make it oscillate in increasingly interesting ways. Otherwise, there is a danger of creating a really complex machine that's kind of un-alive, lacking an intrinsic indecision/uncertainty, which is an instant giveaway of our "flavour" of life.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: Mind Drivers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:06:07 am »
Then you want 2 things:

1) Install rewards it's born with, like seeing humans or tasting food or the Question "How do I save life?". That way it will find answers to the problems we want to solve by trying random actions or finding relations that support claims and will generalize in its knowledgebase.

2) Use energy in the net. Yes. Everything affects everything. And the tick is the ignition. Self activating nodes fire on their own, and ask "How do I save life?".
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:59:58 pm »
A mutual rise and fall of opposite forces gives things a type of rhythm, a spin, a primordial heartbeat.

I agree.  As you know my AGI is based on the human model so I can provide examples of this type of required activity, it is the rhythm/ essence of consciousness.

This is a neural tube, we are looking down so we can see the long range afferent axons reaching between the various cortex areas on the sides of the tube.

The left side is the sensory cortex, the right side is the frontal cortex.  The sensory cortex has learned to recognise 80x500 different sensory patterns, and the sparse outputs from the sensory cortex are fed across the neural tube and into the frontal cortex. The frontal cortex has learned to recognise these sparse patterns and in turn sends its own sparse representation back into the connectome influencing the sensory regions.  The left and right sides are learning from each other, this means that the system is recognising it’s own internal processes/ thoughts in the same terms as it understands external sensory input.

At 1:10 the ‘spark’ begins, once the system reaches a certain level of both activity and learning a self sustaining rhythmic cascade begins…  I then totally cut off the sensory inputs and the system slowly ‘dies’, we humans never experience a total shut off like this, even when sleeping our sensory cortex is always vigilant… unless we die of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERI92iTzVbY

I believe this ‘spark’ as happened to us all in utero, as we develop our sensory cortex’s tunes to the stimulus we receive from our mother’s body and through the womb walls. At some point our brains become complex enough for this self sustaining cascade to begin.

Add frills to the basic oscillation. Make it oscillate in increasingly interesting ways.

Indeed, the basic GTP patterns sustain and drive many other sub-patterns which are of course the sub-conscious.  A sufficiently complex GTP can phase through trillions of possible pattern combinations, influenced by the senses and internal thought processes.

:)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:33:04 pm by Korrelan »
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

cymbod

• Roomba
    • Cymbod
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:14:03 am »
The philosopher Heraclitus says that everything is always in motion and change, caused by the conflict of opposing forces.  Observing nature, this is true, for instance, our heart beats because of two opposing muscle groups and chemical reactions, always with a slight inbalance, moving one way, then the other.  In nature there is two natural motions, one towards disorder, and another towards harmony, and it seems these motions feedback into each other.  Complexity theory describes the edge of chaos where a system is in a state between order and disorder, enough to give it a sense of aliveness, an ability to evolve and adapt to changes in the environment whilst maintaining a sense of order in its own system. 

What is described as an aliveness of something such as our body is an emergent property of self-organising elements that exist in the edge of chaos.  The same principle describes consciousness, an emergent property of the interactions of billions of neurons, also existing in the edge of chaos.  In theory the principles in complexity theory could be replicated to create an AGI.  The designer can ignore the final emergent states of consciousness or aliveness in an AGI, but focus on the elements and how they relate with each other through feedback mechanisms, the emergent end states will naturally come about in an AGI. 

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 02:06:35 pm »
Welcome, Cymbod!! It's nice to have you with us. O0

Heraclitus was an interesting self-taught character who basically embraced a concept of Asian Yin-Yang, where seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:12:01 pm »
Sometimes I see blu and red colors together....and I'm like NO, NO, they don't have to be opposite,,.....i have images that are far from red under the dish and blue on top the dish :D Just look at a pic of a new york city, or somethin
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

336 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles