Artificial Life vs Artificial Intelligence

• 11 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Artificial Life vs Artificial Intelligence
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:28 pm »
Life precedes intelligence in nature’s development of beings. Maybe its easier that way. A living body probably provides the emergent intelligence with purpose and guidance. You’ve got to put a disembodied intelligence in a pretty ridiculous bind if you want it to find reason to act like us. Therefore, I think, if you want to bring a disembodied intelligence to its senses, both literally and figuratively, you should put it in a living body.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
Re: Artificial Life vs Artificial Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 03:26:06 am »
I took what you said then as basicly giving up!

I spose its ok, because we are all at some developmental position in putting our product forward, and we catch on to poor behaviour, just as much as we ignore good advice, all of us.    An artificial body is just as a good as a real one,  but with the catch,  you have to actually come up with it, as well as the mind!

Making a real useful robot,  is something that BRAVE people do, that don't go with the flock,  if you believe you can make something as smart as say a cat, all the skeptics out there will tell you it cant be done.  Just the same as, if it hasn't been done before, that's the reason why it cant be done.

But if u want my advice on that,   I think that we will see robots like that very soon,  because the current state of the art is nearly there good enough to do just that. Fully man made and artificial from the ground up.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:22:32 am »
An AI in the pc can come up with answers/solutions. Bodies in real life just implement them and fine tune the solution (testing, mistakes, fixes the instructions, i.e "oops") and make further discoveries which in turn can power internal mind-closed-box discoveries.

It's all about R&D (Research & Development) to make advancements/changes in the real world. You give it data, it has goals, then it finds patterns and gives a valid answer. Taste/smell are near pointless, even touch (plus touch is like vision). Just vision/sound (or text) is what I use all day long in my discoveries only. I constantly visualize/hear myself and see light flashes of many arrows and beams and processes and nodes and etc all moving how want exactly and one-shot that I never seen before which is kinda crazy cus that's generation of complex intelligent videos. Anyhow, text is like vision, so it makes for a good oracle that can generate/verify answers and communicate to you on how to upgrade itself further.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:26:38 am »
Yeh, it has a goal, and the answer its a combination of its patterns. (if u want to do it that way.)

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 09:20:52 am »
Not giving up!  :)  Just pointing out a possible missing piece of the puzzle. If there is a good and demanding body connected to the brain, then the brain will be guided in interesting and productive ways. I'm not sure what would qualify an artificial body to be "alive", but we'd all know it when we see it. Life is trained to recognize other life.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 10:39:16 am »
We are obviously multi-sensory intelligences, and if an AGI is going to experience and understand reality with the same resolution and acuity as we do it is definitely going to need a comparable body/ sensory plan.  An AGI is only going to understand our reality at the resolution of its senses, so they are important.

Anyhow, text is like vision

Try describing something simple like a circle or the direction of ‘up’ without referring to any other sensory descriptors, it’s actually impossible.  Once again I will reiterate text and language alone are useless for building a true AGI (in my opinion). 

Try it, think of a random simple shape and then write a paragraph that describes it, that verbally mentally renders the 2D understanding of the shape without reference to any other shape or spatial concept.

We get so much information from our combination of senses, they provides the high dimensional space with which we create our memories, indeed, many of the perceived problems in creating an AGI vanish once the combinations and acuity of our senses are taken into consideration.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:48:15 am »
A circle is round and flat.

Stop kidding us korr lol.

In the text data, round and flat link u to other similar words.

In fact, text can "describe" any sensory. Vision can too, but text can too.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 10:51:18 am »
It's about the data, not how you think it is.

Text is well endowed with human touch, as we have made sentences on the internet, about how everything relates, and all our ideas.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:55:22 am »
A circle is round and flat.

How does the AGI know what 'round and flat' means if it has no vision?

You have to describe what round and flat means, so it understands the 2D concepts.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 11:56:44 am »
Aha, you do think that! I knew it! You said it this time.

How does it know what flat in vision means either? Uh, uh, uh, ahaha!!!! It's allll meaningless. Nothing makes sense. Things in the real world do relate though, and so do they in human written sentences.

It's tasteless. But there is meaning.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 12:09:14 pm »
Try it, think of a random simple shape and then write a paragraph that describes it, that verbally mentally renders the 2D understanding of the shape without reference to any other shape or spatial concept.

totally - that's what makes programming happenin, getting every angle of something, and gearing what u need out of it.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 12:42:10 pm »
While some senses might not seem as important as others, in an AGI, I think all of the senses hold a significance. This is in order for this "being" of higher intellect to understand and grasp logic and interaction of the everyday world and those things in it.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

293 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 320. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles