Voices

• 20 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Voices
« on: July 01, 2019, 10:50:50 pm »
An interesting question my grandfather asked me; he was curious about AI, and I was trying to explain it. What could be a unique voice for another life form which is intelligent but not human? How does one speak without sounding like a man or woman? He suggested that I start by mixing my little brother’s voice with my dog’s voice.  ;D

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: Voices
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 12:19:00 am »
As long as it is diverse sounds, with accents of volume, pitch, and variation in the time lengths, it will work as a information communication system
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:07:22 am »
Sure. But maybe it could have a nice quality as well. Same as the alien problem, the only good one was the blob. It's tough to make something natural, honest, sound...

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 05:22:52 pm »
Were you possibly thinking of something more mechanical or organic? An artificial entity might speak in a shorter, almost choppy, succinct manner that could possibly sound deeper or perhaps higher pitched but it wouldn't necessarily have to sound male/female/human, just understandable (by us).

An android might have learned how to speak via an artificial voice box/larynx and could even sound very robotic or very human, depending on the method used and techniques as Locksuit pointed out.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 06:25:52 pm »
I can imagine they would be approx. as loud as they need to be to talk to each other, use low or high pitch (whichever is faster/less energy/unnoticeable to humans), and use short super fast bursts as Art said. And it could be wireless photon frequencies, instead of sound waves. Language while can be vision, can also be codes for objects, like words, and those can be super short codes, hence you may hear wireless chirps like a creepy sci fi movie !
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:46:46 pm »
this is what an A.I should sound like :

https://streamable.com/a8bhs

I still need more time to beef her up tho

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:11:14 pm »
This might be a bit off topic,  but when a robot communicates maybe its easier to do it more like how ants or bees share information together.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 08:01:11 pm »
I don’t know… Coolness is an unexplored science. Maybe they could sound like Tom Waits or those Mongolian Folk Metal singers. You know how the Daleks talk in Doctor Who?  There, that’s a place where we invented something cool. Original yet cohesive and so out there that it feels like home. Straight out the other side of the cliché. There are cool sounds to use all around, you know the one where you wiggle a large sheet of wood or plastic, or even a saw? Or when you tap a pot that has water swirling in it? You know electric guitars!!? Although maybe not electric guitars… (often on second thought Camelot is a silly place). There’s an art to it, which we seem to be very bad at, in making something functional VS making something delightful. Sometimes artists/musicians try to get there by pushing the boundaries and they just end up being all weird and freaky, while others were seemingly born outside of the boundary and are happily doing their own thing to general awe and amazement. It doesn't need to be something pretty either, goblins, zombies, and ghouls can be fantastic because those forms compliment certain characters.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 08:10:07 pm »
Them is mighty sounds, what u mentioned.
Im attracted to the stirring a spoon In a pot sound,  I feel like a old druid when I do it.

We are in a prison of entertainment?     We imprison each other, by giving someone no search space to even escape the truth from!

This is indeed hell where we live,  cause I cant think of a sound better for a robot than a darlek.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 08:59:24 pm »
See, we could be attacked by stunning alien wizards:
tapety-joe-pl-zolnierze-strzelajacy-do-aniola-w-zbroi" border="0
Or by knobbly goblins:
taunting-goblins-by-shockowaffel-d5qmpxo" border="0
...and both would be awesome (granted, as movies), and we’ve got no idea why! We just stumble onto good voice/look/personality combos for creatures & robots. But really, we don’t know what makes things work.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 04:26:27 am »
Perhaps some of you might also have experienced a voice that did not quite fit into a gender-specific category. That is to say, just the sound of the person speaking but without seeing an image of them or specifically, their face. This pitch was in a frequency that would normally be a bit too high for a male but a bit too low for a normal female range. Not trying to stir up anyone's desire to play gender police or politics, merely pointing out my personal observation and perhaps some others as well.
Point being is that at this frequency, I/we are unable to assign a label as to who is speaking or could it even be a child at this point in the discussion?

If a Blork from Blorix speaks with two opposable flaps inside of a hollow mouth-like cavity, it might utter a range of frequencies or flapping, smacking, squeaking, blathering or pulsating buzzing tones, each with their own meaning. And while sounding quite absurd to us, the Blork might actually be a gifted orator on his/her planet.

If the entity is an intelligent being of an artificial nature, it might have the intelligence to know that we are humans and as such, have no comprehension or ability to understand it's native language let alone speak it or communicate with it.

Many years ago we had this exchange student show up on our construction crew for a day along with a few others. Our Foreman did not speak his language at all so he took out a pad and pencil and drew pictures of what he wanted the young man to get for him. With each successful retrieval, the Foreman would say the tool or item's name to the guy and repeated it. The young man would say the tool's name to the Forman in his language. By the end of the day, they had each learned at least a dozen useful tool names. Communication was established. The desire to communicate was all that was needed.

And perhaps someday, so shall it be.  O0

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 10:11:42 am »
Just like to add one thing,   why does lingual communication have to be sonic -   a robot could communicate with magnetic communication or anything.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »
One is robotic-based the second is for humans.

I remember seeing this from several years ago although I have no idea how it turned out or even if it did continue its development.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmSYnOvEueo

The other is a newer device that aside from appearance (you know how we humans can be), shows lots of promise for a more realistic sounding voice.
https://singularityhub.com/2009/12/21/new-artificial-larynx-helps-people-sound-like-humans-not-robots/

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 06:41:01 pm »
Just like to add one thing,   why does lingual communication have to be sonic -   a robot could communicate with magnetic communication or anything.

Things like radio waves and magnetic waves would be great for long distance and short distance communications. If the robot wanted everyone to hear them, or didn’t want to be overheard. Or if the robots themselves were very big or small, a different communication medium might prove optimal. You’d want to be heard, and hear, at a certain range depending on population density; to get messages back and forth without gumming up the air waves. I still think sound waves are the best option. They don't go too far, bounce around obstacles, and have amazingly low energy density. Creating them is really simple, and so everything makes them, the whole world talks to you, extending your communication ability into a broad sense.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 03:30:34 am »
I'm sure you're aware that there are many frequencies in the spectrum that aren't audible by humans at all, similar to those "silent" dog whistles. There's nothing to say that just because we can't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't already exist or might be in use.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

323 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles