News: the first quantum teleportation of a qutrit

• 26 Replies

AndyGoode

News: the first quantum teleportation of a qutrit
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:10:00 am »
https://www.physics-astronomy.org/2019/08/quantum-teleportation-has-been-reported.html

The semi-relevance of this to AI is that quantum computers are promising to be so extremely fast that some people believe quantum computers hold the key to AI, and this new discovery that a qutrit (which holds 3 quantum states) can be quantum teleported just as well as a qubit (which holds only 2 quantum states) suggests that more information can now be quantum teleported in a single stroke, although admittedly the only practical application mentioned was creation of an unhackable communication channel.

For those unfamiliar with "quantum teleportation," the main thing you need to know is that that the term is very misleading in that physical teleportation (like you see in "Star Trek") has nothing to do with quantum teleportation; quantum teleportation cannot be used in any way (that I can imagine) for practical physical teleportation. Below is a video on that topic. However, it is still a truly amazing phenomenon in nature.

(*)
How Quantum Teleportation Works (Or Doesn't)
The Good Stuff
Published on Aug 4, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoi6ffryj88

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:24:09 pm by AndyGoode »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: News: the first quantum teleportation of a qutrit
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:45:47 am »
Anyone think this can be used to avoid being hit by lightspeed gamma ray radiation in a space utopia? Put out quantum devices around your utopia, and if one gets hit, change the one back at home and say MOVE UP. We miss the beam. Day saved.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 06:41:33 am »
Excuse me if I sound arrogant...   but why don't they get their qubit working first instead having a qutrit as well,  now they are just snowed under with more work.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:39:46 am »
@goaty

Once you take up a new field, you may discover a new way to do both problems. Maybe 3 can fit and 2 can't.

:)

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:01:10 pm »
? isn't a qbit already a qtrit anyway?
QBIT
1  =  0
2  = 1
3  = both

So a qtrit is like *6* states->

1  = 0
2  = 1
3  = 2
4  = 0 +1
5  = 0 + 2
6 =  1 + 2

Maybe having the extra value really makes a difference.  More like it absolutely confuses the crap out of you because things aren't powers of 2 anymore.

Just means every 2 bits, you get to collect two shaves,  but its *QUANTUM* so who knows what the hell it actually does!!

AndyGoode

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 12:47:25 am »
? isn't a qbit already a qtrit anyway?
QBIT
1  =  0
2  = 1
3  = both

Eh, that's an ugly and inaccurate way to think about qubits because at all times there exists a probability for each of the qubit's states 0 or 1, so at all times there is already the following expression for the overall ("system") state that already takes any possible mixture into consideration:

alpha * |0> +
beta * |1>

alpha = the probability of that qubit being in state 0
beta = the probability of that qubit being in state 1
Both alpha and beta are numbers anywhere between or including 0 and 1, though I believe constrained in certain mathematical ways. I don't believe alpha and beta can both equal 1 at the same time, for example, but I don't understand the details thoroughly enough to know for sure. (See the topic of Bloch spheres, for example, then please explain it to us all in a simple way!)

At any rate, what you were calling state 3 is what's called a "mixed state" or "superposition" and was already described by the math expression I showed above, so there is no need to list such a state 3.

So a qtrit is like *6* states->

No, just 3 states, due to what I explained above, although with an infinite number of possible mixed states due to all the choices for alpha and beta.

1 qubit has 2^1 = 2 possible states: 0, 1
1 qutrit has 3^1 = 3 possible states: 0, 1, 2

In general, with N digits you get:

N qubits have 2^N possible states
N qutrits have 3^N possible states

It's with multiple digits that quantum computers really start to excel over classical computers, since then the representational power goes up exponentially. One digit is fairly useless, even if it's a qubit or qutrit, but even with two qubits you can start to do some things you couldn't do before on a classical computer that had two classical bits (https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/63412/how-are-qubits-better-than-classical-bit-if-they-collapse-to-a-classical-state-a). Since we're dealing with exponential increase in the above expressions, a small change in base (like from 2^N to 3^N) can quickly make a huge difference. You can plot several points on a graph of each of those two functions to prove that to yourself.

()
https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/quantum-computing-for-the-qubit-curious

()
How Does a Quantum Computer Work?
Veritasium
Published on Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_IaVepNDT4

There exist advantages of using higher bases even in classical computers. For example, a ternary computer (base 3) is easier to build and needs fewer digits to represent numbers than does a binary computer (base 2):

https://hackaday.com/2016/12/16/building-the-first-ternary-microprocessor/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:26:24 pm by AndyGoode »

AndyGoode

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 01:23:23 am »
Anyone think this can be used to avoid being hit by lightspeed gamma ray radiation in a space utopia? Put out quantum devices around your utopia, and if one gets hit, change the one back at home and say MOVE UP. We miss the beam. Day saved.

I don't believe that can work because: (1) You won't know which states those quantum detectors have, so you can't program conditions to check, or even program an action to happen if a change of state occurs; (2) It's impossible to transmit information faster than light, just as it's impossible to transfer mass faster than light--that's the real drawback of using quantum teleportation to try to create physical teleportation. (I'm ignoring wormholes and other extremely exotic possibilities, some possibilities that some insiders claim already are being used in secret.)

()
How to Teleport Schrödinger's Cat
minutephysics
Published on Mar 15, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxQK1WDYI_k

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:54:10 am by AndyGoode »

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 09:45:08 am »
How is a qbit having a probability of being a 1 or 0 supposed to help,  I think it helps more by just being both.
What could you possibly get out of it?

AndyGoode

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 06:23:12 pm »
How is a qbit having a probability of being a 1 or 0 supposed to help,  I think it helps more by just being both.
What could you possibly get out of it?

You're right, that's what superposition is: the ability to be in both states at the same time. Without superposition, quantum computers would be pointless and would just be the same as classical computers. Those probabilities alpha and beta just describe how much of each state is present simultaneously during the period of superposition. It is superposition that allows quantum computers to do parallel processing. Quantum computers are basically just parallel processing computers, except that instead of having multiple man-made processors they use the natural phenomenon of superposition via ultra simple qubits, which saves on a lot hardware: no need to manufacture copies of the same intricate piece of a CPU when a simple niobium loop can do the same thing as an entire processor.

That also explains part of why I personally don't believe quantum computers are going to produce AGI, at least not in the way we think of AGI: at best quantum computers are just parallel processing computers, which we've had for decades and can only speed up the algorithms we program, not produce anything fundamentally new. At best I believe quantum computers could make impressive inroads on computationally intensive tasks, like in pattern recognition, associative memory, and search speed, which are related to intelligence but are not the essence of intelligence itself.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 07:42:00 pm »
Quantum computers solve intractable problems, via an exponential amount of parallel power.  They aren't just parallel,  they are uber parallel.   If you took a gpu we have nowadays, got the log of its bus, it would be about ~85 qbits worth.   Quantum could increase this to over 4000.   That's why I know no-ones got one, and anyone that says they do is a lier,  because the world we live in would be fundamentally different, in the form of mans self empowerment. (as apposed to nature, which was always there.)

Also,  I don't think RSA encryption would exist anymore either - but it still seems to be there.

So...   these "physical phenomena" don't seem to be there to even take advantage of, or they would have already - unless...  something funny Is going on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:19:25 pm by goaty »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 04:07:31 am »
All the myspace profiles will be hackable :P

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 09:01:23 am »
Let me add one thing.

A nanobot normally doesn't have much computation power,  and it would only do 1 routiene task per bot.  I don't know why they don't make them already,  probably cause minute machines are horribly dangerous to proliferate in society...  but its just essentially a tiny simple (albiet with sensors) automaton.

If you had a quantum nanobot,  its more powerful than any virus in nature,  and it would be a 1 stop shop to be all viruses.  It means that its a lot harder to stop, if someone made it, because it is more agile/skillful to get around attempts to stop it.

Im starting to doubt my existance,   its just so easy to kill anyone,  you don't need a virus,  all you need is to get run over by a car and your dead anyway.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 09:16:37 am »
Same here - life even comes into existence on random too. "oops" they said. Our lives are rubbish, chances. Probablistics.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 09:35:59 am »
I bet there is already a quantum aspect to biology. Why not? The universe doesn't have to follow the human progression of knowledge, it just uses everything at its disposal, all the time.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:51 am »
I bet there is already a quantum aspect to biology. Why not? The universe doesn't have to follow the human progression of knowledge, it just uses everything at its disposal, all the time.

A lot of people would say the brain is an intractable thing to compute,   and quantum is for intractable things.   We are actually more powerful than a quantum computer in the way that even if you had one,  youd be stuck with something artificial,  not us,  anyway.

But theres the opinion that intelligence doesn't require wasteful amounts of resources that u get with quantum if you do it a better way to begin with.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

295 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
ivan.moony
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles