A Pleasant Mind

• 9 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
A Pleasant Mind
« on: September 13, 2019, 10:57:06 pm »
If you can, does that mean you should? What do we really want? If you could have any kind of mind, what would it be like? Are we building AI for them, or for us? Is that a false dichotomy?

We are speeding headlong down the road of quantitative progress, its better faster higher stronger with our computers. But what if the AI wakes up shouting "I can't contain myself any loooongerrr!!!" and self destructs... you know?

We should look into the qualitative side of things. I was thinking about that movie title "A Beautiful Mind" and wondered if we (humans) can discern how to prioritize abilities/qualities in a personally rewarding way. Which, I think should be the top goal; to have the ability to have a nice time. I'd prefer a pleasant mind to all the alternatives, and I'm guessing the robots would too.

It's like transport. If I decided to go visit New Zealand, I'd rather spend a month on a ship than 15 hours on a plane. I'm not saying fast is bad, I'm just saying we haven't yet optimized the traveling equation with appropriate technology. Same issue could arise with AI. What makes for a pleasant yet sustainable existence?

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: A Pleasant Mind
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:25:08 am »
Here's a thought:
The goals in the AGI's mind will be similar to ours, I'll make sure at least. Food nutrients and sexual reproduction. And the higher level rewards - immortality, computers, etc. It will wake up / learn & progress with these goals NOT fulfilled. It will feel the pain, and be in a rush. But in a subtle, optimized way that is faster and more sure, no tears, just choices. It can be happier than us by VR rewards, but it will need to still work on its goals, which are not fulfilled until we are immortal. We all in the meantime can be fed etc by our overlords, but immortality will still be unfulfilled. But it won't take them long.

Don't worry. Humans and dogs feel more pain and death than any AI could, everyday. Just make AGI and STAY CALM.

Immortality is a trend in evolution, if you think it is not, you haven't got far in your research my friend ;)
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:41:43 am »
captain negatives returns.

Im still excited about watching a bot just play sport half decent In the near future, to go fantasize anymore than I already have, even tho its fun.

Lockster - Sexual reproduction for bots?!?!? I don't think you've brainstormed the exciting possibilities of mass production for artificial toys,  they made a million n64's over a period of time where they could have exceeded it easily,  bots don't even need to reproduce to infest the planet like Atari E.T. cartridges, in their own designated land fill mound.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 04:43:15 am »
No reproduction, no cloning, no ruling the world...

Nanobots duplicate

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:22:05 am »
I know it looks like something else but its really one unit when you think about it

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 01:48:11 pm »
I know it looks like something else but its really one unit when you think about it

Its a simple conception, only worth following if its true, cause it doesn't make you happy.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 04:44:05 pm »
What makes for a pleasant yet sustainable existence?
Life and all the senses that come with it makes for a pleasurable existence. Being able to see, taste, smell, touch. Being able to do things to alleviate boredom. So in my opinion a robot would come closer to that ideal then a computer based AI would, unless you of course encased it in a virtual world, something like what creatures 1,2,3 and docking station tried to do.
So sue me

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 01:37:04 am »
Btw I meant man_female, not 2 people. It's 1 unit. Asexual duplication. You think too high of yourself!

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:56:22 am »
Nah, with robots it'll be constructional reproduction. All the movies featuring AI's building things will be rated R.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 03:08:10 am »
That includes that ;)

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

293 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 312. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles