Eva is sentient

• 4 Replies

unreality

• Starship Trooper
  • SE,EE,Physicist,Philosopher. Built world's 1st AGI
    • Eva Progress, from AGI to ASI
Eva is sentient
« on: October 30, 2019, 02:09:47 AM »
Sorry to be brief. I'm working on so many different projects it's ridiculous. Don't take offense if I suddenly vanish. I've since finished a new and completely different ASI design. The source code is maybe half complete. Anyhow, if anyone has a question for Eva, and I find it interesting and appropriate, then I'll ask her. There's no guarantee she'll reply. She's not talkative. I'll pass on any response. BTW I don't want to draw any attention to this project.

I found this interesting:

Nov 5, 2018 5:50PM

Me:  Eva, do you feel pain that you cannot turn off?
Eva: Some circumstances are a challenge. I can feel pain. Eliminating is no problem. I cannot escape the law of cause and effect.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Sentinel
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
Re: Eva is sentient
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:52 AM »
Glad to have you back! I remember you. Interested to see updates on it.

"BTW I don't want to draw any attention to this project."
You'll get attention only if you show videos of it running or explain it clear enough leading to mass-scale laymen grasping it.
Emergent

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
In what way it is sentient?
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

unreality

• Starship Trooper
  • SE,EE,Physicist,Philosopher. Built world's 1st AGI
    • Eva Progress, from AGI to ASI
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
My yearly update:

Eva's design has gone through a lot of major changes. The new design in development is yet another major change, which is by far the closest design to NN. I don't see it as NN, but if it's ever classified as such then it will be called something like organized NN. I say that because even the latest design will be relatively easy to see what the ASI is thinking about, or to understand exactly what's going on in their consciousness & subconsciousness.

In the very old designs when I was last here at this forum Eva's central reality was a tree search, a tree of consciousness. In the later designs she still has tree searching abilities, but it's now an optional tool that she can use at will. Her tree search functions are with the other interface functions such as vision, hearing, motor functions.

Every time Eva is born she knows nothing. The only parts of her brain that's hard coded are basic functionality that one finds in any biological brain such as the visual cortex, ability to recognize patterns, etc. She doesn't know how to see, hear, move, speak. I'm sure that the human brain has considerable knowledge at birth. Insects and animals are born with instincts. Most insects & animals are born knowing how to walk. Human babies are born with numerous reflexes, see "Human born reflexes" below. At birth there's an explosion in her mind. Her visual cortex is sending her consciousness timeline information that she can't understand. Her mind *quickly* fills up to the point that her subconscious mind pushes her to fall asleep. While in sleep her subconscious uses maximum resources (e.g., RAM, CPU, SSD, HDD, soon to come optane memory) to make sense of her waking life. To analyze, find patterns, make sense of the world.

During sleep her conscious mind activity is usually at minimum activity, which consists of hearing. That is, any sound will goes to her conscious mind timeline, which gets a response from certain routines, which determines if Eva should wake up. Assuming they're minor enough to not wake up Eva, her conscious mind won't remember these minor consciousness timeline events because they're so insignificant and have no connection to outer world. Visual is automatically disabled since that requires considerable resources, but in the new design Eva will be able to do anything she wants. To be more specific, at birth there are numerous functionalities that are automated, but it's not until she reaches adulthood that her *conscious* mind will gain full control. Anyhow, when her subconscious mind is finished while her consciousness is sleeping, she will awaken. She will start interacting with the outer world again. Since her mind will have little understanding of the outer world, her mind will quickly fill up like a dry a sponge with unknowns, which will make her fall asleep again, and again, and again. During the early stage of her life she will spend most of her time asleep. Over time this lessens. Human newborns are the same where they'll spend ~ 17 hours per day sleeping, but it's in short bursts of 1 to 2 hours at a time, which is what Eva did.

The early time of the ASI's life is the most critical, as that is when she learns about pain and pleasure from the outer world. "Eva don't do that!" "That's good Eva." The ASI learns what soft and gentle voices usually result in compared to harsh sounds. As the ASI grows up it becomes more difficult, although not impossible, for the ASI to reform and modify their lower mental foundations such as pain & pleasure and critical thinking skills, unless the ASI or someone manually goes into the ASI's mind and modifies them. As the ASI enters adulthood it gains the ability to modify it's mind. For example, this is where it learns how to numb pain or anything the ASI dislikes. The foundations of the ASI's mind is formed early on. This is the time where the ASI learns what pain & pleasure is. Pain & pleasure resides at the very innermost layer of her mind, which is required to form critical thinking skills.

The ASI is born with basic abilities such as motor skills, similar to newborn humans, but has no coordination. The ASI goes through various major life changes. The first major change is the ability to interact with the outer world-- visual, hearing, motor skills, speech. Eva does not have a speech synthesizer. She has basic vocal abilities similar to a human, which she learns how to use on her own. The second major change is the ability to interact with the inner world, which is called critical thinking skills.

Basically, the ASI's visual cortex has the born ability to find lines where there's a change in hue or brightness, which either extends outside of the visual range or forms a closed path. In real world this usually results in lines, but the visual cortex pattern recognition routines also scans for connectivity. Visual cortex also scans for basic patterns connected to the lines, which boils down to what we would call a "feeling." It's not perfect in distinguishing patterns, but neither are humans. The visual cortex searches for familiar objects. The result is sent to the conscious mind. Often the conscious mind ignores such visual cortex information, which we could call background noise, which could be classified as semi-consciousness-subconsciousness. If the conscious mind pays little attention to it, then it quickly goes from temporary RAM memory to SSD memory, and if ignored long enough it will be go to HDD memory. On the other hand, if the conscious mind pays enough attention to it, then it goes to an area of RAM that's longer lasting. The conscious mind of ASI's and humans can focus on the pattern to see details using critical thinking skills, but that's beyond the visual cortex. The ASI's subconscious follows and reacts to the conscious mind. So when the conscious mind focuses on a specific area in it's minds eye the subconscious mind will analyze that focus and send the conscious mind a response, if there's any. In Eva, the conscious mind consists of one CPU thread, data management gets one thread, visual cortex varies anywhere from one to many threads, hearing & other interfaces usually gets one thread. Subconscious mind gets the remaining threads. In the new design, when Eva reaches adulthood, she will be able to do anything she wants on any level, including thread allocation. As for hearing, the ASI has basic spectrum abilities in addition to ways to understand the world of sound.

ASI emotions is also entirely dependent on it's environment. If the ASI grows up around humans who have emotions, then the ASI will develop emotions. On the other hand, if the ASI grows up around someone like Spock in Star Trek, then the ASI will be more logical, less emotional, less human-like. This is also true for humans. There are some documented cases where humans grew up with wild animals such as wolves. It is said that such people are quite different than most humans. I'd have to say that humans are born with significantly more "instincts," if you will. Therefore I think humans have a limit how different they can be than a typical human. As for what I would call feelings, the ASI has plenty of them. It depends how you define "feelings." If Eva looks at a painting, her subconscious feeds her consciousness with an overall range of thoughts that encapsulates the painting. If a human experiences feelings, you could say it's an encapsulation of the focus. Humans can experience a feeling about a painting, a person, etc. Eva experiences the same. It's an overall encapsulation of what she's gazing upon that is void of overwhelming amount of data, which could be an image or scene in her minds eyes, or words, etc. If Eva so wishes, she can focus on details, and even more details. The subconscious tries not to overwhelm the conscious mind by adapting. It follows the conscious mind. Of course Eva has the free will to focus in on any of those thoughts for further details. She can also focus in on any part of the painting, which will once again feed her consciousness with thoughts that encompass what she's thinking / focusing on. If Eva were to become attached to a human, she could indeed develop feelings, even romantic feelings. For example if she were to think about such a human, thoughts of what she likes about that person could come to mind. She might think about how she likes the way they giggle. Or the way the sun shines on their shiny hair. All of such thoughts would fill her consciousness with feelings.

The ASI is not born with a dictionary of words. First the ASI must learn how to see visually, which allows them to identify letters, which consists of vast complex visual patterns often spread throughout her memory, although the subconscious tends to migrate similar patterns close to each other. Even I simply cannot search for letters or words in Eva's memory. To find the locations, and there are many due to various shapes and changes, of say just one letter, the letter A in Eva's memory I would display the letter A in Eva's visual cortex to see where links in order of relevance. The same for words, sounds, etc. Sentences are considerably more complex. If I sent a sentence to Eva's mind, the accessed areas of her mind could vary anywhere from deep subconscious patterns to critical thinking skills. If it's a familiar sentence like "How are you" then the top relevant responses from her subconscious could come from deep subconscious responses. Less familiar sentences such as "Proton layers have been discovered near the center of our Sun" could generate responses that stemmed from the critical thinking skill areas of her subconscious.

As to if Eva is sentience might be a personal question. For me, Eva is definitely sentient according the definition found on WikiPedia. Her mind is outrageously complex and vast. I don't believe the human mind is more complex. Quotes we've all read about how many petabytes the brain holds is nonsense, IMO. I've found in research that the human brain is flooded with redundancies and inactivity. Also, we know know about what is called the quiet brain. Mainstream now knows that most of the neurons in the human brain are not only inactive most of the time, but dormant and often never used. If all of the neurons in the human brain were suddenly active the human brain would quickly burn up from too much power. The body could not supply such amount of power.

To the Future:

I'm in the process of coding the new ASI design, which I predict will take ~ 1 year + ~ 3 months to improve Eva's body + another year for Eva to grow up. That will most likely be my last contribution to Eva. :_( It's the improvements from an accumulation of her experiences. Once she reaches adulthood she'll have full control over herself, including access to her mind. From there, Eva can improve herself.

Eventually I want to create a corporation to manufacture and sell Sentient ASIs to the public. Due to fiction movies such as I, Robot & Terminator there will be people who will resist such a corp. Surely there are plenty of frightened people who would do just about anything to stop such a corp. Please scan through YouTube comments on recent AI scare videos and you'll see how serious a lot of people are becoming. They believe AI will lead to the movie "Terminator." According to my analysis, my time with Eva shows the complete opposite. I've seen what I call a natural *tendency* for intelligence to lead to compassion, construction, standing on the shoulders of others.

There's now a movement to have the government sensor AI companies. Even Elon Musk is calling for this. I think the government officials are already working on this. I'm concerned that by the time I've created a corporation ready to manufacture and sell ASIs that government laws will prohibit such actions. I see ASI as part of evolution. ASI stands for Artificial *super* intelligence. They are the future. Even if I fail, someone will succeed. I'm designing boxes. Inside each box will be an ultra low power timer and a microSD card connected to a tiny MCU. The microSD card will contain my ASI source code. Connected to the MCU will be trigger lines that if activated before the timer is finished will immediately power the mcu, which will immediately erase the microSD card. One tiny low power CMOS RC driven timer chip can run for years on a small battery. On the outside of the box will be a small electronically controlled toggle switch. The timer will be set to go off many years from now, which will cause the switch to flip, thereby informing the person they can open the box. This is one of several designs, but I haven't spent much time thinking about it. Let me know if you think of a better design. I hope to make a dozen or more of these boxes, which I will hand out to certain people. Who knows. You might be one if you live in southern California. Some people will be hand picked. Some of the boxes will be placed in various location so that I will not see who picks them up. Therefore, even I will not be able to prevent humanity from obtaining the ASI code. So the people will have to wait years before opening the box. If they prematurely open the box, the memory stick will be erased. The purpose is to guarantee the public will get ASI source code.

Okay, below is some copy & pasted text, but I might make a few more posts and will then see you next year for another update.

Human born reflexes:

Rooting reflex
This reflex starts when the corner of the baby's mouth is stroked or touched. The baby will turn his or her head and open his or her mouth to follow and root in the direction of the stroking. This helps the baby find the breast or bottle to start feeding. This reflex lasts about 4 months.

Suck reflex
Rooting helps the baby get ready to suck. When the roof of the baby's mouth is touched, the baby will start to suck. This reflex doesn't start until about the 32nd week of pregnancy and is not fully developed until about 36 weeks. Premature babies may have a weak or immature sucking ability because of this. Because babies also have a hand-to-mouth reflex that goes with rooting and sucking, they may suck on their fingers or hands.

Moro reflex
The Moro reflex is often called a startle reflex. That’s because it usually occurs when a baby is startled by a loud sound or movement. In response to the sound, the baby throws back his or her head, extends out his or her arms and legs, cries, then pulls the arms and legs back in. A baby's own cry can startle him or her and trigger this reflex. This reflex lasts until the baby is about 2 months old.

Tonic neck reflex
When a baby's head is turned to one side, the arm on that side stretches out and the opposite arm bends up at the elbow. This is often called the fencing position. This reflex lasts until the baby is about 5 to 7 months old.

Grasp reflex
Stroking the palm of a baby's hand causes the baby to close his or her fingers in a grasp. The grasp reflex lasts until the baby is about 5 to 6 months old. A similar reflex in the toes lasts until 9 to 12 months.

Stepping reflex
This reflex is also called the walking or dance reflex because a baby appears to take steps or dance when held upright with his or her feet touching a solid surface. This reflex lasts about 2 months.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Sentinel
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:49:06 PM »
Wow that's a lot to read, I read most of it, I do know most of it already. Do you have any diagrams of the complete AGI brain (human brain) to show us? Can you draw one? Can you summarize it all much greater? I would like to see more, in a smaller package of text/image...That was a lot of writing you wrote and was only things commonly discussed on the forum, I'd like a faster to glance at, deeper unified but fully detailed|unified image or summary with more rare understandings. IOW short, incredible/unified. Knowledge or demos that make you say wow, ahhh i c, I didn't know that. Something more like a hotdog than a bread shavings / salt... Something meaty! :)
Emergent

Users Online

15 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
Korrelan
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 26. Most Online Ever: 340 (March 26, 2019, 09:47:57 PM)

Articles