• 89 Replies

Dee

• Nomad
  • AI rocks!
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 09:36:24 am »
are people working from home now? im working from home  :(

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 12:39:33 pm »
Most jobs can NOT be done at home. Since the majority of people have been requested/ordered to remain home (some indoors), it will soon cause a great hardship. No work, no money, no provisions for the family, no bills being paid, and so it goes...

This is not a good time in the course of human events. It will certainly be a difficult storm to weather and unfortunately, it will get worse before it gets better.

That's the reality!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 01:28:16 pm »
Here in the UK, the government is paying 80% of wages for everyone, so they can stay at home. Only key workers such as health and food are supposed to be working.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 01:38:28 pm »
Remember: everyone can't get free money, you can't get free items from heaven, someone has to make them! Or fill the factory up with goo to do so...
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 06:58:51 pm »

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 09:21:38 pm »
are people working from home now? im working from home  :(

I've been working from home successfully for many years. The single most important thing that you can do is to establish good habits and a solid routine. Always wake up at the same time of day and start work at the same time of day. Set an alarm if you have to. Try to finish at the same time of day and eat regular meals too. You should know without thinking what you should be doing at any given time.

The most difficult aspect of working from home is making sure that the people around you respect your boundaries. When you're working you don't want to be disturbed. That's where having a routine can help, they know when they can and can't talk to you. It also helps enormously if you can maintain a space that's your designated work space, even if it's just a desk. When you're in it, you're not to be disturbed.

On the other hand, when you're not working, you need to make sure you're not in that space so you can relax. I know that's not particularly easy at the moment but it doesn't have to be a big shift. I like to cook when I'm not working. When I'm working I keep my meals as simple and predictable as possible. When I'm not working, I'm in the kitchenette on the other side of my apartment, cooking something creative for dinner.

Finally, you need to get outside once a day. Go for a walk anywhere that you can, but depending on where you are that might not be possible at the moment. Does anyone have a solution to that particular problem? Maybe a VR headset?

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 09:25:50 pm »
This project used distributed collaborative processing to fight coronavirus: https://www.ipd.uw.edu/2020/02/rosettas-role-in-fighting-coronavirus/

This is the homepage of the Rosetta project: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/, if anyone wants to participate.

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 12:37:47 am »
We it said that ohh, The Government is paying each of us. NOPE...The Government doesn't make money, the Government Takes money...money from you and me and everyone working and paying a share of tax money to that government.

The old saying holds true...there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Someone, somewhere is paying for it.

Please be safe and make good choices!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:24:34 am by Art »

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 04:13:20 am »
For the selfish idiots among us, let's consider what's going to happen if you don't maintain strict quarantine according to whatever rules your government has set, bearing in mind that some governments are more competent than others. If any of you think it's not going to affect you, you're wrong. Whether you live or die, the rest of your life is going to be different from what it would have been a month ago. There are no exceptions.

There are eight billion people in the world today and two out of every three of us are going to get sick with this virus. No matter what resources are thrown at the problem an effective vaccine is at least 12 months and probably 18 months away. Of the people who get sick, one in every eight are going to be so sick that they will die if they cannot get treated in the intensive care unit of a hospital. One out of every twenty-five people who get sick will die no matter how good the treatment they receive. The elderly and infirm are at a small disadvantage but not a huge one. No matter how old you are or how fit you are, there is a substantial risk that you will die this year.

In the best case, everyone stays isolated until there is a vaccine and the spread of the virus is slowed so much that only four percent of the population who catch it will die because for those who are really sick, there are enough hospital beds to give them the best treatment. Owing to lost productivity the human race loses twenty percent of its accumulated wealth and it takes decades to get things back to normal.

In the worst case, the virus spreads unchecked. What does that look like? Six million people died in the First World War. Thirty million people died in the Spanish Flu pandemic immediately after that. Another sixty million people died during the course of World War Two just two decades later. Six hundred million people could die this year. Only all out nuclear war would be worse than what we are facing now.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 09:32:42 am »
But infurl.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
There's 390,000 cases after 2 months.
There's only 16,582 humans dead after 2 months.
150,000 humans die each day, 300,000 born each day, it's a fact. After 2 months we always lose 9,000,000 humans.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
So far only humans above 50 have a 1.3% change of dying if get it.

So, not that many have died, and only if you are so old could you die.

The stats of coronavirus are going exponentially though, it could be a big problem. Staying indoors globally would stop it if ALL stayed indoors. The humans own behavior though is killing all our evolutionary build up, maybe we should get back outside as soon as the curve is shown how to get it back down/ stays same height. The government spread the word and all must obey the law some man set (basically), it's as if our CNN on TV got so good that our own language is stressing us and bringing us back to non-CNN times. What you think? Ray Kurzweil said we hear too much on the news.

Furthermore, what if of the 150,000 that die each day, the couple thousand we see die each day are of that 150,000? Obviously watching the elderly will show deaths. And if word spreads, more old are watched and more deaths are seen to the eye.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 12:47:51 pm »
Yes...they are watching the older people die and know they had it. But what if it's just....watch the pot too long and you see it boil? The deaths may be of the 150,000 that die each day (happens every day of the year).

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 01:09:01 pm »
Good points made by you both and I'm sure (at least hopeful) that most people are aware and understand the gravity and severity of this worldwide situation. If left to it's own it will cause/create an extremely dire prognosis for the humans on this Earth. I have every confidence that the bright minds of scientists and the medical communities worldwide, will soon get a handle on this.

The thing to keep in mind and to practice is exercise, good judgement and common sense, for those who possess it. Keep clean...body and clothing. Soap, plain soap will wash away a myriad of dirt, germs and bacteria. Use alcohol or hand sanitizers if you have them. Be careful with straight alcohol as it has a tendency to dry the oils in the skin and could possibly cause discomfort on some very young children or others with skin concerns. Stay hydrated...juice, water, vegetables if possible and fruit has lots of water/liquid. Tylenol-like medicines for pain. Gloves and masks if you are going in or around crowds of people.

Try not to hoard items but be mindful of your neighbors who might benefit from some as well. We're all in this together but we do need to be ever vigilant and ever diligent in our everyday lives.

Stay the course. Peace to all!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 01:50:30 pm »
Doctors talk at home now. So do schools. Me and Ray Kurzwiel wanted this. But I'm not sure Ray is that happy right now :P. Where is he anyhow? Should be working on AGI himself. I see he did do a lot of things, but still.

We already are changing, morphing, dying, and transforming. Ageing does that to you. Bending over does it to you - your body deforms and isn't a perfect statue of metal. You lose neurons and gain new wisdom. You are ever growing. All change is death and birth. We fear not death, but specific fates. We long for a specific death lol. You'll be mad at me about this but that's your evolutionary instinctive knowledge on alert to help you survive. In all technicalness, all change is death and birth. Prove me wrong.

To build the future we want in evolution, we seek AGI, and it has to understand/know the past well to predict the future well. Otherwise it doesn't know what to say or do about any future at all, like a random tennis ball. Decisions in life (in atoms, brains, etc) are based on surrounding context tugging at it using electromagnetism. We know the big decisions are from brains and hence we seek there. Those decisions are based on a lot of context/data, and a team of humans inflates that lots. And a lot of deep peering into that big data too, not just exact matches. When I close my eyes and stay still, I can make discoveries, ones I want, using the unfortunately limited data I have. We need AGI to do that. Not learn to walk, which is too direct, short term, narrow, - whereas images/text talk about all topics possible.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-ray-kurzweil-conference-2015nov08-story.html

Exponentials
Thresholds
Complex Systems / Buttefly Effect (BigData context, combinational)
Leverage Points (centralization remaining in a distributed shared network (cooperation))
https://govinsider.asia/inclusive-gov/four-ways-to-think-about-coronavirus-danny-buerkli/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-are-nearing-longevity-escape-velocity-where-science-can-extend-your-life-for-more-than-a-year-for-every-year-you-are-alive-2020-02-24

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:24 pm »
Yes...they are watching the older people die and know they had it. But what if it's just....watch the pot too long and you see it boil? The deaths may be of the 150,000 that die each day (happens every day of the year).

Death by coronavirus is accompanied by specific symptoms. You have trouble breathing.  You get pneumonia.  You start coughing up pink froth because your alveoli are breaking down and letting blood into your lungs.  Eventually, your lungs fail completely, and you drown in your own body fluids, or your body goes into sepsis.  I don't think they are confusing that with ordinary death-by-old-age.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 08:54:07 pm »
a session from Rosetta coronavirus fragment computing

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

310 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles