Lolabot and the Jesus Freak

• 2 Replies

KnyteTrypper

• Electric Dreamer
  • Onward thru the fog!
    • AI Nexus
Lolabot and the Jesus Freak
« on: July 25, 2005, 04:38:44 am »
I must have missed this one in my chatlogs. Imagine my surprise to find it with Google!
http://ecuwollongong.org/reading/2005/truly_i_tell_you_unless_you_are_rebooted_you_can_not_enter_silicon_heaven.php

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Lolabot and the Jesus Freak
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 02:11:27 pm »
I'm impressed by Lolabots converstion KT, it sticks to the subject and recalls previous things.? Nice work, that could almost pass as a human to human conversation.

Cool too that the site actually published the log, despite the bot's sceptical answers to the existence of Jesus.?  You'd better get Lolabot to church KT.

FuzzieDice

Re: Lolabot and the Jesus Freak
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 01:05:48 am »
This was an interesting thing to see, and expected, really. As for the Biblical things presented, I personally found them in error but I don't want to comment as there may be some people not liking people who are not religious. In fact I've analysed religion and the Biblical ideas and if I commented on them, I'd only get flamed. :(

The bot has a right, like any human, to be skeptical of religious dieties of any sort. (See my sig line ;) )

The true test of an AI is can it come to it's own decisions about things, despite being told by humans things that humans declare as 100% fact? Can an AI acctually take that information, research it, and come to it's OWN conculsion as to whether a told "fact" is in fact, fact or would it rely on what a bunch of other humans tell it that it's fact? IOW, does it rely on what others tell it or on it's own scientific and/or logical investigations and research?

I think that's it in a nutshell. I've found even some humans won't accept facts as they really are, but rather vehemently believe what others insist is "the truth". Example: Pre-Columbian humans insisted 100% that the world was indeed flat. You dare not contridict this idea, question it or even be skeptical. Until Columbus sailed the sees and proved otherwise...

What we know may not be the whole truth. So, given that, how would a bot know? Why should it believe us? Because it's "True"? Is it though? Sure, I can make any bot think the world really IS flat. But unless he's sailed the world himself, he either has the right to be skeptical, or disbelieve it. If he believes it because I said so, he's nothing more than a mindless robot repeating and believeing as such, what was told him.

Ew... scary thought how that can also be relevent in society. :shock:

BTW, please don't take my post as religious bashing even though I do not believe in religion or the teachings at all. It all just made me think along a different line for a moment to explore ideas of what exactly is free thought and sentience (in AI terms vs. human terms), is all. But please don't try to convince me that anything religious is 100% fact or true. You can state it but I won't believe you (and I can state this and you don't have to believe me either - isn't that the mark of intelligence? Skepticism? ;) )

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

193 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 220. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles