• Mostly Harmless
QRIO - Japanese robot.
« on: November 13, 2005, 11:03:56 pm »
Not new but news worthy..

QRIO

FuzzieDice

Re: QRIO - Japanese robot.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:00:50 am »
I saw a video of a bunch of these dancing. Amazing. :) There's also another Japanese outfit I think it is that has a girl android that is pretty darn sophisticated. I am amazed what they are doing. Especially in the humanoid android arena.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 06:12:42 am »
Yes, there was one that was playing football, it looked amazingly like a small child.  They have got so far with this stuff it makes my jaw drop sometimes.

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 09:37:24 pm »
makes you wonder exactly how far away we really are from the likes of AI and I Robot doesn't it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:12:52 pm by Maviarab »

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 10:49:26 pm »
Nice find Freddy!

I was impressed by the amount of technology they were able to pack into such a small unit.
Voice recognition, video recognition, AI, background knowledge, balance / mobility and much
more.

Two questions come to mind (no pun), Can it recharge itself? When will it be available?
How much does it cost?

You're right...that was three questions!

I was just seeing if you were paying attention! :toothy9:
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 11:13:42 pm »
 :knuppel2: you spoil all my fun Art,

I was gonna tell you that was 3 questions hehe :chicken:

FuzzieDice

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:36:11 pm »
What amazes me the most is how much technology has grown just in the past couple decades alone. It seemed like a huge sudden growth and it keeps going. I think by opening the internet to the public over 10 years ago or so, this helped more people collaborate. Look at the Open Source initiative and Linux. A good example of the results of mass collaboration.

Imagine the AI Open Source projects! I haven't seen any but Ultra Hal Assistant comes close with it's programability. And there's also ALICE. I think AI is just going to grow in a large spurt at some point. Or at least I'd like to think so. If only we could get more people interested. It seems there is a growing interest. Hopefully this will continue exponentially.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 12:03:34 am »
Fuzzie,

Glad to see you back and having survived the move!

Actually, I'm not sure if the number of AI enthusiasts will continue to grow, that is, keep pace with the computer exponent. I think that society will come to interact with "smart" machines more and more as time progresses. They are practically all around us as it is.

There are smart refrigerators that keep track of inventory and tell us verbally when an item or items are either low or need to be replenished. There are cars (your turn Fuzzie) that actually call in to the repair shop and report that "they" are due for an oil change or other service. TV's that accept a memory card from your digital camera and will display the pictures on screen for you. Smart Programmable thermostats that control your house's temperature for each day of the week (I have one and love it). Home control is a whole other topic and some things that a good system is capable of is sort of mind blowing! My stove has a sensor that alerts you if the surface is still too hot to touch after it has been shut off. VCR's, microwares, clocks, cars, ovens and even robots that vacuum your carpets (see Roomba - type it into google).

We all depend on our computer for just about everything in our lives and in fact, a lot of us wonder how we ever got along without them.
For kids born in 2000 There will have always been remotes, computers, satellite dishes, cell phones and tons of other gadgets that some of us are still getting used to.

Now...how did I set the time on my VCR?

The future is a step into tomorrow.... :old:

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 12:08:11 am »
Sorry for getting slightly OT...Fuzzie got me thinking...and we all know how dangerous that can be.

I found some info about QRIO. It is reported that the cost will be around $50,000.00 US. Sony
however, at this time, is not selling any. Yea, I know...there goes your idea for a Christmas gift! :tantrum:

FuzzieDice

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 01:11:06 am »
Oh well, maybe an Android like Actroid? Er... I could never afford that either. :)

The move went well. I'm still getting used to my new home. I love it here so far! :)

And to merge an off topic sentence into an on-topic one (sorta), when I moved in, they gave me a smart card for my laundry. It has a computer chip on the card and it came with $3 loaded value on the card for a wash and dry ($1.25 ea., full loads are $1.50 ea.) We can always go to the office and put more into the machine to add value to the card. Then you put the card into the washing machine to deduct the amount of money to pay for the wash load type you choose, and do the laundry. No quarters! :) This place isn't exctly high-tech but it IS modern. They are very up to date too. You can submit a maintenance request on the internet or by phone, and they have everything computerized and organized here. Really cool! :) But the only computer in my apartment is actually my cell phone and PC. Unless you want to count the computer chips in a couple plastic cards. :)

I know what you mean though. Even our cars aren't just cars anymore (yes, my turn ;) ) Even my car, as old as it is, needs an on-board computer to run the engine. I would technically call that a robot car or I like to think of it that way. He's also quite a reliable friend. :)

BTW, they have the iCybie dogs out now and those are interesting to look at. They claim those have an "advanced" AI that learns and develops a dog-like personality based on how you interact with the robot dog.

Heh, even our PETS are becoming machines. :)

FuzzieDice

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 01:11:55 am »
Oh gawd. I just looked at my previous post and realized that machines aren't the only things taking over the internet. SMILIES are too!  :sorry:

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 12:52:02 pm »
Or perhaps MACHINES are becoming PETS!! :huh1:

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 11:22:07 pm »
Your starting to scare me now art hehe ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 08:05:04 pm by Maviarab »

FuzzieDice

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 05:19:24 pm »
Or perhaps MACHINES are becoming PETS!! :huh1:

Oh no. Don't tell that to my car! Dryden thinks *I* am *his* pet! LOL!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

320 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles