Re: What's everyone up to ?
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009, 04:07:49 pm »
Wow, talk about adrenaline rush  :o

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2009, 07:16:24 pm »

I seldom go to movies, just SF now and then.
Last week went to see 2012.
If you can get past the pol correct BS, it's not a bad movie.
You got to see it on big screen so you be part of the action.
That plane ride escape from LA was great. Keeps you on edge of your seat.

Oh, take a girl with you.  She'll be holding you tight.    ;)

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2009, 07:34:10 pm »
OK I got this link from P.S. and the creators give their own credits; Vadoskin, Dragon ect.  *looks around for spydaz for no apparent reason* *ducks out quickly so the flack cant reach him* BGG!  (IMO BS ,Stay cool AiDreams)
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009, 10:53:36 am »
I know Kung Fu, Karate, and 47 other dangerous words.  8)

Isaac Newton was a mathematician and physicist. Isaac Newton was once attacked by an apple.  ;D
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 02:53:23 pm »
 :D

Oh yeah...and I am cool..

Data

• Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2009, 11:54:03 am »
Datahopa, you know you said the Socket 775 was being phased out - do you have any idea on the time scale ?  There's a few things I want to get, just trying to decide what to get first.  Thanks for any guidance.

Well I cant give an exact time-scale but what normally happens is you will find less and less CPU’s and motherboards available as time goes by, having said that you can still get SKT 478 cpu’s if you shop around a bit so there are always some older stock hanging around somewhere.

Just looked on ebuyer.com they still have quite a lot S775 cpu’s, personally I think the Q9’s are the ones to get, they take less power and don’t get very hot at all. If you can’t stretch to the 12 mb cache price, I couldn’t, go for the 6 mb cache Q9400.

One thing you have to make sure is that your motherboard can do 1333 FSB the earlier boards only did 800 FSB and there aren’t many 800 FSB quad cores around.

One final thought to add, Intel are already working on the replacement for the i7 although it’s a fast chip it does take quite a lot of power the next one should be more efficient, because of this I wouldn’t be surprised to see the 775 chips around for a good while yet.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2009, 03:47:29 pm »
Many thanks Datahopa, that helps me no end.  I will take a look at the Q9400 I think then.

My MB can do 1333 FSB...here's the specs :

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5qle/7.htm

As long as I can make this last another year, maybe even two, I will have accomplished what I set out to do, which was build me a PC that will be fine for a couple of years...I think I built this about a year ago now.  There's other things I can do, like get better memory and I am still waiting for Solid State Drive to become more agreeable price-wise.

All of this is speculative really at the moment, because everything is working just fine, so why change it.... but I do like to keep it in the nice mid-range area because games become more demanding over time.  I reckon that without the games industry we would not see so much growth really. Haha.

Thanks again :)

Edit : Yeah I see what you mean about the 12 mb cache....The 6 mb I found for around £140.00... not bad.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:53:53 pm by Freddy »

Data

• Eve
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 12:58:36 pm »
Cant go out today, a bit snowed in here.

That’s a nice motherboard there Freddy, It has the 1600 FSB stable overclock built in, with boards like that you can leave the bios settings on Auto then set the FSB to 1600 and turn up that Q9400 2.6 ghz CPU to 3.2ghz. Just keep an eye on memory speed and use a different memory multiplier if needed.

When you do that on these Q9400’s your not even really overclocking it because it is really a 3ghz CPU but Intel set the multiplier lower so they have different speed CPU’s on the market.

That’s exactly what I have done to my Q9400, most of the time its running at 2.4ghz because it slows its self down under low load but when you need more mhz's it automatically starts running at 3.2ghz, 100% stable and very cool to. The cpu cores hardly ever reach 50c under load.

I know you probably wont overclock yours but should you ever need a bit more speed your mobo will do it no problem. You should easily get another two years out of it. :)

Oh BTW santa came a little early for me and has delivered an ATI HD4890, he didn’t want to spend top money on the latest DirectX 11 card so decided to get me the best Direct X 10 card he could, it was about £130, every game I have tried runs at 1920 x 1080 max quality full AA and ASF.

You will need a 600wat power supplier for the HD4890.

Check out what the boys at AMD thought of this card when it was released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFSUh8OjO-0

Should keep me going for a couple of years, by then there will be some good Dirext X 11 games out and the cards will be cheaper.

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Rome wasn't built in a day.
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2009, 01:56:01 pm »
Cant go out today, a bit snowed in here.

Oh BTW santa came a little early for me and has delivered an ATI HD4890, he didn’t want to spend top money on the latest DirectX 11 card so decided to get me the best Direct X 10 card he could, it was about £130, every game I have tried runs at 1920 x 1080 max quality full AA and ASF.

Agh! I'm jealous. I have the HD4870. The max resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024. I too can run max anti-aliasing and mas anisotropic filtering on most games. Unfortunately, one specific one I play - X3 Reunion - has frequent crashes on those settings. :(

P.S. It's snowy here too.

Data

• Eve
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2009, 10:58:13 am »
Don’t be jealous Irh9  ;D, actually it was seeing an HD4870 in action on a friends PC that made me want one, then I noticed the HD4890 was only a little more money then the HD4870 so it seemed worth getting. In the real world I don’t think there is much between the 2 cards.

Just did a quick google “X3 Reunion crash” it would seem your not alone as there are a lot of posts regarding it crashing out.

Still under what looks like 8 inches of snow here, darn, I have to go out in it too.  ::)

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Rome wasn't built in a day.
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:47 pm »
Just did a quick google “X3 Reunion crash” it would seem your not alone as there are a lot of posts regarding it crashing out.

Thanks. I actually fixed the problem. I was just pointing out that I had to reduce the graphical quality of the game.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 02:48:42 pm »
I know you probably wont overclock yours but should you ever need a bit more speed your mobo will do it no problem. You should easily get another two years out of it.

Well from what you say, it sounds like over-clocking isn't so bad.  The motherboard comes with some tools to do over-clocking, so they seem to be behind the idea.   I guess I will have to wait and see.

Another two years hey ?  Sounds good to me.  I was really choosy about the motherboard when I got it, looks like it was a good idea  ;D

Sounds like nice graphics cards you both have.  I'm still using an ATI HD3850 which handles everything I have thrown at it so far. I haven't bought a game for a while though so I'm not sure how it will handle DirectX 10.  So far it has done everything on high settings at 1920 x 1200, so it should be fine for a while yet.

We got more snow last night, it's looking nice here :)

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 03:52:27 pm »
3850 struggling for me at moment on new games....though I do have other issues.

Looking at at a 4870 myself....seems a good card for the money....though also looking at a total new system too....too many things needed an not enough money :(

Also lots of snow and hail here....staying in the house hehe :)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 09:34:33 pm »
Did you ever work out why your version of the 3850 wouldn't display high settings when mine did ?  I think it was on one game ...Total War ??

I will know if I need a new card when the specs for Guild Wars 2 comes out  ;D

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2009, 12:29:24 am »
Mav,

Staying in the house huh? Sounds like a perfect opportunity to continue work on your
DG story don't ya think?!

It is amazing how life offers us opportunities at the most "opportune" times. Perhaps
that's how they named it.

I was thinking...does the alphabet HAVE to be in that order? Why did it get that way?
Was it because of that little song? ;D
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

322 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles