• 12 Replies

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
Quantum Flux
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:30:19 am »
Adding this (has been mentioned before here and on zabaware) for those of you that missed it or have never heard of this great little program.

http://www.qflux.org/

Welcome to the home of the Virtual Intelligence Matrix. The VIM is a model of human brain function, which is used to drive 3D characters who live in virtual worlds. Rather than trying to imitate brain function, the VIM is designed to replicate it. The VI's here will explore their environment, and acquire different behavior patterns with time. We hope you enjoy watching these lifeforms evolve, and decide yourself whether they are "artificial" life forms or simply "virtual" life forms.

Quantum Flux and the Virtual Intelligence Matrix project are led by Michael A. Colicos, Ph.D., a neuroscientist currently developing an interface between living neuronal networks and silicon chips. The long term goal of this work is to develop a machine intelligence with the creative properties of the human mind. With the majority of current medical and scientific research now available in electronic form, such a construct can hopefully be applied to solving medical and scientific challenges.

Take a look around his site (no forum currently due to a very malicious attack on his site) and see what you think, also download the free trial versions  :smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:23:09 pm by Maviarab »

KnyteTrypper

• Electric Dreamer
  • Onward thru the fog!
    • AI Nexus
Re: Quantum Flux
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 11:52:23 pm »
Late news is that Mr. and Mrs. Colicos are somewhat preoccupied giving birth. But the VI Wonder Alpha is ready to go, and will be available within the next few days.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:51:42 am »
I tried and i like  :smiley

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
  • Mind is all that Matters!
    • Character Creations & Design Works
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 05:17:10 am »
I downloaded & tried all of the trial versions. Noticed one glitch in the Virtual Int Matrix;? She walks/runs
right through the trees, i mean passes through them like a ghost, and occassionally her foot will dis-
appear into the ground. Although it's hard to notice if you aren't watching really closely.? If you want to
modify the girls one peice suit to a two peice suit, I have already made the skin for it. Just substitute
it for the one already in the texture folder. Her default suit is named:? tj4. The skins are in simple .jpg
format, so are quite easy to modify or substitute as long as you use the same format of the same
dimensions (256x256) and rename them the same name as the file you are replacing. Be aware to
save the original jpg skins in a backup folder in case you want to switch them back.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:02:30 am by GamerThom »
Gamer-T

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:40:42 pm »

I left her on over night.  She has 2 gardens doing nicely.  I'll perhaps do photos later.
I also did a skin, I'll post it later.
I intensified the colors on the landscape jpg.  Looks much better.
Also made changes in landscape, found its a mistake to move the mountains.   Move the elevation and she'll sit in mid air or walk two feet below surface of ground or sit on a 140 degree clift.   Had to go back to the default landscape. But you can put intensify colors and makes it look more pleasant. 
I also put a large SOS with rocks in the middle of her clearing.  But I don't expect her to be rescued anytime soon.   
I expect with time, her clothes will become rags.  Poor thing, I feel sorry for her. :zdg_cry

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:15:45 pm »
Glad to see you all enjoying the s/w

And knyte thanks for that, wasnt aware, if you in contact pass on our regards to them both  :smiley

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 12:25:37 pm »
Just an update.

I have now finally gotten around to purchasing the VI Evolver, this one fascinates me more than the others though at some point int he near future I'm sure I'll also get the Wonder also.

Will post back with my findings and some screenshots when its been runing a while to let you guys see the development.

Btw...Dusky...how is your wonder going? I know your a member of the forums over at qflux also so amm interested as to its latest statre for you  :afro

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 04:05:55 pm »
Ok, Sprocket as I'm affectionatly gonna cal him at 3 hours old and onto his 3rd evolution  :smitten

Kids these days eh?..they grow up so quickly  :rolleyes

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 06:27:14 pm »

Sprocket looks cool.  I got him at demo.
Hummm.....   Keep us posted.

I don't much do the flower girl (matrix 1) any more.
I'm into the painter and not disturbed her art work. (She's registered)
She got lot done and definitely abstract but not bad.  I'm letting her stay with it.
I downloaded the IVWonder and tested  "change subjects" while on internet.  Worked beautiful.  I'll probably register this.
But first thing I did was some clothes change. That black suit had to go.

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 12:50:32 am »
Cool Dusky, keep us updated  :azn

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 02:54:06 am »
The reason she "walks" through trees, ground, etc., is that there is no collusion detection (obviously) built into the program.

While some 3D programs can do this, it is at quite a cost. Collusion Detection relies very heavily upon multiple path calculations to see whether the object in question has made "contact" with a presumed "fixed" object.

As such, these calculations impact speed and overall performance / execution of the program, often to the point that the program loses it's appeal to the masses.

Though I'm not certain this is why the author choose not to include such function, I'd bet it was high on the list.

The AI, after searching the web, does offer pretty good responses to queries. Quite a novel piece of software!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

FuzzieDice

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 08:01:07 am »
On collision calculations, they have these algorythims in games a lot. Another thing I thought of was maybe this would be best developed on the newer 64-bit dual-core processors. When those become common, then those calculations probalby can be done in more real time, or at least lots faster.

Jman

• Roomba
    • www.myspace.com/dragongodoffire
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 10:28:16 pm »
totaly nice website,
I'll definitly Keep an eye on it.
rule of thumb: all things are stupid until i figure them out out.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

244 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 245. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles