High speed robotic hand

• 18 Replies

mad5ci

• Roomba
Re: High speed robotic hand
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:57:02 am »
If three fingers are enough, then why evolution left us with five? I don't see the way to use many human-made things with three fingers (try to do some home stuff using only three fingers), so why they've build such a hand? That's odd. Handling mobile for example with three fingers is not enough, even if you have that much power in your muscles to do that.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 04:23:49 pm »
Because it is NOT a human...it is a machine and it can obviously do many things that most humans cannot.

It's not how many items one has...it's what can be done with them. ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

mad5ci

• Roomba
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:01 pm »
But robots will have to move around in human-made and for-human-made environment, so creating robots that are similar to humans is the smartest way there is, I guess. We won't build everything from starts for them, they'll have to use our stuff just like we do. That's why we build robots with legs, arms, with appropriate height and head. I'm not writing about vacuum cleaners, military robots and other specialized ones, but the ones we we'll interact in everyday tasks. I hope you understand what I mean.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »
I do understand where you're coming from but as I see it, our homes will eventually become (at some point in our not too distant future) equipped with an AI, similar to SARAH in Eureka perhaps.

A built in House Intelligence that is equipped with Speech, vision, databases, inventory, schedules, Audio / video, theater, HVAC (home heating and cooling / ventilation, etc.), smoke / fire / burglary systems, lighting and sprinkler / pool / hot tub / sauna controls, general home security and maintenance plus an extensive chat / companion / homework / help assistant.

The home will still have it's variety of robots that could perform, lawn mowing / trimming, floor cleaning and vacuuming. Your appliances would also be intelligent (refrigerator could track inventory and create recipes and shopping lists. Perhaps a small robot could gather dirty clothes and perform laundry tasks.

The ideas are many and with the exception of a couple things, the majority of the aforementioned items can already be done!

I guess my point to all this is there would be different types of robots for different tasks in the home of the future. I already have parts of my home controlled by a stand-alone computer. It controls heating / cooling and lighting in several rooms plus motion to turn lights on. We have robot vacuums that do an exceptional job of keeping the dust to a minimum and they go under the beds where conventional upright vacs can't go.

I can check on the status of my house from 100 miles away with my phone and reset my thermostat if desired.

This is only the tip of the iceberg as to what can be done and most likely what will be done in the future.

The adaptation for the bots to have human type hand with five fingers and be 5'10" tall is simply not needed in this regard. Each one does what it was designed (and destined) to do. ;)

Just my take!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

268 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 296. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles