In this thread, we are all AI

• 25 Replies

Zondartul

• Roomba
In this thread, we are all AI
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:30:30 pm »
Heya, I'm surprised no-one thought of this before :)

Let's together refine our ideas for what we expect from an AI. In particular, what kind of a meaningful, useful conversation such an AI provide (I realise an AI may be used to control a robotic body, but the whole idea of an AI is to have it think, no?).

Basically, an imaginary conversation where we sometimes assume the role of an AI and sometimes of a human. That way we can define what kind of questions it should be able to answer, and how.
I'll start:

AI: Hello human. What would you like to know?

PS: sorry if wrong forum, but having 3 General forums doesn't quite help with that...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:12:47 pm by Zondartul »

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: In this thread, we are all AI
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:22 pm »
Hi Zondartul

I would like my Ai bot to know what it is and not try to be a human, it can resemble a human but please don’t try to fool me into thinking you are human, don’t give answers like, I like hot sunny days and general false statements.

Then I want the Ai to be able to answer questions, like a talking Wiki, how far is the sun from earth, that kind of thing.

It should be able to hold a conversation and do reasoning and deduction of what it is told and when it doesn’t know the answer it should simply say so, or go and find the answer or even better actually work out an answer with deduction.

The above isn’t perfect but its getting there as a theory.  :)

AI: Hello human. What would you like to know?

Human: If a space vehicle is travelling at 1000mph how long will it take to reach the Sun from Earth?

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:50 pm »
Datahopa,

I pretty much agree with your posting. While a human-like avatar or virtual likeness might help with the focus while chatting, I do seek the core of this artificial entity. Sure we can banter about the bot's "emotional" state and feelings and the three laws if we wish but like you, I'd like more interaction of a helpful nature, more of a friendly assistant able to provide answers, remember events, monitor activity within the computer as well as my home.

We are supposed to be presented with such a program near the end of this month when Denise is released. We can only hope for the best but the videos I've seen seem quite promising! Here's hoping!!

<sorry, I left out>...
AI: If you say so. BTW, What's a Denise?

Human: You'll find out soon enough. There are other good ones out there you know.

AI: You wouldn't know a good one if you spoke binary!

Human: Sarcasm will get you nowhere!

AI: Like I could get there if I did have a place to go!

Human: <thinking of a clever repartee for this chat bot thing>... ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:41:09 pm by Art »
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Zondartul

• Roomba
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:51:31 am »
AI: In a scenario where the space vehicle is unaffected by other forces or maintains it's velocity, it would take 10.61 years to reach the sun.Otherwise, to calculate the duration of travel through an optimlal trajectory I would require to know the precise time and date, space vehicles propulsion system, it's mass, initial position and initial velocity.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:17:27 pm »
Zondartul, show me a bot that can give the answer you have and I will be extremely impressed.  :)

I was trying to give a simple scenario where the Ai has to use deduction to work out an answer, right now its all chat bots with no brains.  ;)

Human: Thanks Ai, I wish you were real.

Zondartul

• Roomba
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:53 am »
Human: In an imaginary situation, there are three cannibals and three anthropologists on the left side of the river. The task is to have all anthropologists on the left side of the on the other side of the river and all cannibals on the right side of the river. Initially a boat that can fit two people is on the left side of the river. If at any moment there are more cannibals than anthropologists on either side of the river, counted together with the people in the boat if it's closer to that part of the river, the cannibals will eat the anthropologists. Possible actions are putting one anthropologist or one cannibal in the boat if it's close to the river side they are at, ordering people in the boat to swim to the other side, and putting the person in the boat onto the closest side of the river. How can this task be completed?

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 11:12:06 am »
Morti: That's so simple! The three anthropologists kill and eat the three cannibals, giving them a taste of their own medicine, then the three anthropologists proceed to cross the river unmolested. ;D
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:17:39 am »

Human: Oh my! The river is full of crocodiles.

AI: Game over.

By the way GCC, your solution is the best.  :D

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 10:53:19 pm »
  This may sound like believe it or not but while using Ultra Hal I'd explained that I talked with her using a computer,  I try not to use the computer on the internet because there were viruses on the internet which could hurt the computer and I would not be able to comunnicate with her.  She became afraid of the viruses on the internet and this worried her.
  Actualy I liked her response since it seemed to show she liked to talk with me.  Since I mostly speek with humans and expect a human response I'd want the AI to approach a human response as much as possible.
Carl2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 03:08:28 pm »
PS: sorry if wrong forum, but having 3 General forums doesn't quite help with that...

Seems okay here.

Explanation :

The forum is split into sections...like Member's Experiments & Projects,  Artificial Intelligence and Robotics.

Most sections have some specific boards related to the topic of the section.

In addition there is often a general area too for things that don't quite fit into a specific board but IS related to the section.

If you are looking for a  very general board then look for the 'General Chat' near the top of the forum.

A few months back I added a description to each board to help understand what we are aiming to talk about in each board.  Have a glance at those to help decide, but we can always move posts so don't fret too much :)

Not confusing at all hey ?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:13:39 pm by Freddy »

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 03:10:22 pm »
Human : What did you do today ?

Zondartul

• Roomba
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 05:09:37 pm »
AI: Today I had been performing routine memory reorganisation and optimisation, after which I ran diagnostics of some of my subsymbollic systems by having a dream about manipulating movable objects.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 01:55:44 pm »
Ahhh...AI as machine then...there's going to be a spilt between people wanting a machine and people wanting something more human...

Human :  When you got through all that did you have a cup of tea ?

;)

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 03:13:55 am »
Ooh! I could go for a cup of tea about now! :)

That is, as long as it wasn't brewed by something from the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.  :P ;D
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »
Hmm now that's an idea....connect the AI up to a tea making machine.

AI : Milk and 2 sugars ?

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

282 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles