AI & Softputing Behavioral & Cognitive Modeling of the Human Brain

• 69 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: AI & Softputing Behavioral & Cognitive Modeling of the Human Brain
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2005, 05:34:00 pm »
I suppose so, that's a bit like this thread - one thought leading to another, building on the last.? We go in the wrong direction and someone points out the problem.? That's what AI's may do too I guess.

Perhaps we should be thinking about where an AI STOPS becoming artificial, if there is such a thing.  Or do we keep hold of base and deem it artificial becasue we created it, afterall, that is the nature of the beast.  Artificial=man made.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:37:08 pm by Freddy »

FuzzieDice

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2005, 08:44:31 pm »
Sorry I haven't been around... Been reinstlaling stuff on two computers and still not quite done. :/ I think you guys are doing great on this discussion on your own though. :) Very interesting ideas to consider.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2005, 09:21:53 pm »
I was missing your comments there FD, glad you're back.

:wav:

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 10:46:04 pm »
Let me see if I've got this right...

Artificial artificial intelligence = real intelligence

If one is not not going on a trip then one is going on a trip.

But then again Real real intelligence <> lack of intelligence or artificial intelligence.

Hmmm.....

OK...now I'm confused! :uglystupid2:
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2005, 03:21:35 pm »
 :worried: :-\ ??? :idiot2:

jesus Art you've confused me there too lol

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2005, 08:30:16 pm »
maybe we're trying to be too intelligent  :idiot2:

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2005, 08:34:44 pm »
OK...but how about if we just try to be MORE intelligent?  ::)

FuzzieDice

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2005, 12:14:46 am »
Freddy - thanks. :) I'm now working this weekend on a cool project so I haven't had time (again, sorry) but I'm watching, at least. :)

Real real intelligence? Real artificial intelligence? See how the english language can confuse things? :)

Artificial means not natural. That's strange to becuase how can ANYTHING be not natural? Anything is natural. It all exists. If it happens, it happens. Who's to say if electronic thinking beings weren't meant to become reality anyway and we are just the catalysts, just like other micro-organisms in nature end up being catalysts to the creation of other life?

I guess I don't believe there is such thing as an "artificial" anything or "unnatural" anything.

Otherwise, our computers are "unnatural" and so is technology.

Another thing I noticed is the idea that something "unnatural" is something regarded by society as "wrong" and "must be corrected or changed". So given that, we shouldn't even be using computers. See, that's why I don't believe in the idea of "unnatural". I think it's inevitable.

It's like "artificial sweeteners" is another one. Hey, it sweetens things, it exists. And if by society's standards it's wrong and should be corrected, it shouldn't be used (though some do argue that point).

If one thinks of "artificial" as man-made, then all humans are "artificial". People make people. I never saw a wolf make a people. :) People also make computers. Before you say that people make people without technology, that's no longer true. People can conceive without mating due to doctor office procedures, etc. So the resulting kid, is it "artificial" and therefore exempt from rights all "natural" humans have? I would hope not!

So when an AI is born, it's then no different than a test-tube baby I would think.

Or if "artificial" means "not real" then going back to my previous point, if it exists, it's real.

If "artificial" means "not occurring in nature" then since nature has catalysts that create other things, and we could be the catalyst that creates AIs then how could AIs not be just another natural (and again, inevitable) occurance?

I think "artificial" is just a predjudiced adjective, much like a few others that are part of the English language, to label something as not "normal" or "correct" or "like everything or everyone else".

I think instead of "artificial" intelligence, meaning mostly not natural, normal, and deserving of the same rights despite if it can think or not, we should call these new life forms, should they ever occur, "electronic entities". Which is more technically correct: Electronic and an entity of some sort.

Some believe in aliens, and I bet if there ARE others on other planets, they are vastly different from us including in their own thought processes. Would they be regarded as unnatural, abnormal, or something that shouldn't have the same rights as humans? In today's climate, unfortunately it would probalby be so, unless they can kick us around and be stronger, of course. And I think that's what people are afraid of. It's an ego thing. People have to be on top, the best. Everything else under them.

Reminds me how a cheeta eats a gazelle, nobody kills the cheeta for it. A wolf eats a rabbit, nobody kills the wolf for it. A bear would eat a child, you kill the bear. An aligator eats a man, you kill the aligator. A hungry nearly-beached shark eats someone, you kill the shark. An AI does what it's programmed to but someone else disagrees...

You turn off the AI.

Who's the real enemy in the fight for survival?

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2005, 01:36:56 am »
Some good thoughts there Fuzzy. Gee...look what we've started!!!
Let's not even go into the preprocessed foods we open, pop into the
microwave, and eat.

Reminds me of the old Beatles song...nothing is real.... (Strawberry Fields). :whistle:

FuzzieDice

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2005, 02:36:36 am »
LOL! That's right, Art! We could be eating sentient PLANTS! Here I'm a vegan and you just blew away my meals for the next millenia.  :violent4:

Seriously, like I said, who's the vilian in the fight for survival? I think we all are and we all are not. (More to confuse us ;) )

I do realize that living things do become part of the food chain, as I just mentioned. I just thought of something else (uh oh...  :D) How would an AI fit into a "food chain"? What would "eat" an AI? Computer virus?   :Gold Bouncy Face Md Wht:  :ill:  ;D

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2005, 10:08:56 am »
Bingo, exactly, Fuzzy! That was the premise for the movie Matrix.

It seemed to me that everytime the system got "infected" it had
to be reformated & rebooted, then the whole thing started all
over again. Maybe they were trying to get it right.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2005, 06:59:04 pm »
I like your points FD, yes perhaps AI's are our new children and we're just trying to get it right. Whatever the case may be I think you're right that perhaps we are just getting confused by language.? The fact is Ai is here and is a reality.

A recent example of technology affecting my life happened at my local doctors surgery.? The prescriptions are all automated on PC, but the PC went down.? So people had trouble getting their important medicines - so it was back to pen and paper.? So it does effect our daily lives, we just forget it until it goes wrong.? Maybe the doctor's PC was striken with a virus and had to have a few days off. :D

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2005, 10:25:14 pm »
What also strikes me funny are those folks who claim they want nothing to do with computers or programming, yet they key in and activate a wireless garage door opener, set instructions for the microwave, program the VCR to record, program the thermostat to go on and off at specified times, etc.
They're really programming a mini computer and don't realize it!

Now, if it would only talk back and scare them!!! :shocked1:

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005, 01:49:28 pm »
wow wow wow  :worried:

Some excellent points there by all.

As for the food chain, the main reason the human race is in such a mess is that we are the top of the food chain? when we die....most of us will be cremated...we are giving nothing back to the never endinbg cycle...we take take take and return nothing.

As for the technology Art described.....we live our lives ruled by technology, everything we do has its roots in programing od sorts. Even switching on a light...as simple as it seems...is controlled by a computer somewhere. What we all do (having our simple lives) if all this was to vanish and we were forced back 500 years ?

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 10:25:44 pm »
Hmmm....500 years back....

Martin Luther was working on his MAsters Degree, Leonardo DaVinci was trying to rationalize the principles of flight and In 1505, Edinburgh Town Council allowed only one properly trained barber-surgeon to work in Edinburgh. Yes barbers would often cut a person so they could let off some blood as too much blood was thought to be bad for a person. (thus the red and white striped barber poles).

Ahhh....nope...no thanks...I think I'll just stay here in 2005 for at least a couple more years or so. I love my technology! :chicken:

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

286 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles