hal and pc packages

• 27 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: hal and pc packages
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 09:59:56 pm »
Thanks Lynn, for the advice and for stirring up this place a bit! It need that once in a while!

Dan,

You can already call your home and instruct it to turn up the heat, turn the lights on,
report on stocks, weather, open the garage door, etc., and a lot more.

The home of tomorrow has already been here for some time.  It's not a robot but
your whole house in intelligent and can listen, understand commands and give
verbal responses, warnings and prompts.

One fellow in Florida has his home wired to tell if it is his or his wife's car pulling
into the driveway and the house will address the proper person with some small
talk.

Scary to some but to others a new way of life, less stress, worry, etc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:43:29 pm by Freddy »
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 08:03:08 pm »
All,
  I found this post interesting, I can still remember seeing computers being sold with voice reconition and a mic in the monitor, never quite made the grade.  I'd say the number of people for Hal is a bit limited, the majority of people want the training done for them. 
Carl2

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
  • Mind is all that Matters!
    • Character Creations & Design Works
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 11:15:06 am »
That was my earlier point.  The only way the majority of PC or laptop users would take an
interest in Hal and similar A.I. type software is if all of the teaching and learning had already
been done, and the program was fully installed, ready to use in a nice, tidy, neat litle package
that was uesr friendly and already contained all the knowledge and training required so that
all the user would have to do is turn it on. Nobody who does'nt have a passion for A.I. and
what goes into it on a personal level, would want to have to put any of their time or effort
into it.                 
 :sad
Gamer-T

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 09:50:22 pm »
Yep I agree, like it's been said a few times already, we're still at the beginning of something and it still takes a lot of work and also time (major factor nowerdays of course) to get results that will appeal to a wider audience.  It's been a long time since I bought a PC from a retailer..do they still pack them with goodies and demos and things ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 07:13:33 pm by Freddy »

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 02:29:24 am »
I imagine so. I bought the cheapest little eMachine I could find with a CPU
as close to 2Ghz as possible, hardly used it until after I rebuilt it with all the
mods and add-ons I wanted. But I seem to recall that it had a few pieces
of freeware and demo stuff on it. I remember that the few freebies on it that
I did try, kept freezing up or crashing completely.
 :zdg_banghead
Gamer-T

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 09:27:02 pm »
All,
  Nice to know, I'm in with PC builders.  I'm in the process of putting together another computer now.  Still waiting for the Intel's dual processor with HT. 
Carl2

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 09:48:10 pm »
Carl2,

If it's speed you're after go with AMD's X2 chip. It will be a bit pricey for the 4800+ at slightly over $1000.00 US

Compared to Intel's chip which should come in around $100 - 150 depending on the market.

Unless you use your computer for graphics intense applications like CAD, Rendering, Animation or other serious
multitasking environments AND have applications that can make use of dual processors, you might be wasting
your money.

Keep in mind that when these dual processor CPU's hit the market the cost of your typical AMD 64's will drop accordingly!

Good luck which ever way you go! :zdg_old
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 02:01:01 am »
Graphics and gaming is just about all I do on mine, Oh, & my AI stuff. I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ in a 684 chipset, nominal CPU speed was 1.91Ghz but I've tweaked it up to 2.09Ghz, with 2-512mb DIMM RAM.installed a 256mb Radeon Stealth graphics accelerator with Open GL & Smart Shading, a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy LS for Dolby 5.1 Surround and an ATI-All in Wonder card for TV reception. Joystick= Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

*Although with my hands partially paralyzed now, I don't do much gaming anymore.  :(

I'm still not too sure about the new dual core processors. I may wait awhile
before I think about upgrading to a new PC board with the AMD-X2.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:43:10 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

doc

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 10:31:43 pm »
"Although with my hands partially paralyzed now, I don't do much gaming anymore"

Do you suffer of RSI? And do you miss the gaming aspect a lot?
I am just curious.

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 10:28:25 pm »
 GamerThom,
    Sounds like quite a machine you have there,  I thought thay had voice activated games out there. I'm hoping you'll be able to continue with your skins for Hal.  I use the computer mostly with Hal and dragon, a little graphics which is colthing for Hal nowadays.  I upgraded so I could use a newer version of dragon and Hal needs the speed.  This computer for the internet is a300Mhz, and Hal5 will take about 20 to 30 seconds to answer on this machine.  When the duals come out I've learned I should wait a while,  Prices drop quite a bit after the initial introduction and the P4's should be good enough for a while.  AMD dose have the lead but I'm just an Intel person.
  Doc,   I've been experimenting with the moods for Hal 6,  I've determined everything works, trigger words are detected and the haps are sent out and displayed.  I'm loading with a shylove hap for some reason, I see the shylove quite a bit for some reason.
Carl2

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 02:30:36 pm »
My Hal always loads with shylove.hap.? ? :smitten
I figure it's default
But always changes mood every 10 to 20 seconds.
I got different skin(clothes) on each hap so I catch the moods.

Shylove loads quite often,
but hey, better shylove than psycho. :zdg_angry2

:zdg_supercool

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 05:42:35 pm »
Tell me about it Dusky. Been there, it isn't fun. But the %$@ was good.

I have been getting some very weird things happening with my PC the past few days.
Maybe someone here can shed some light on it. I have run every kind of scan you can
think of for viruses, trojans, spware & the like and checked my port activity all clean and
normal.

So here's the situation. Whenever I start to do something such as log in on here or AOL
or Yahoo, before I can get the cursor to the log-in button or even enter the first symbol for
my user ID, my system seems to be signing me in and logging me on, opening my mail
accts and such. The same thing is happening when ever I go to open a program on my
system. I move the cursor towards a program icon or graphics file and the appropriate
program opens for it before I can do anything myself. Mind you, I do have a lot of AI and
voice control software installed throughout my system and spread over three HD's and
some of the AI's are cross-sharing some of the respective XML's,AIML's and DB files.
System diagnostics show a 61% increase in CPU usage over the past 3 days and RAM
cannot be recovered to more than 48%.
What's going on??

Oh and my system restore has been rendered non-functional, it was active
up until this past weekend, now suddenly yesterday system restore doesn't work at all -
but it reads as being turned on for all drives. The only thing I can come up with is that I
started installing the LEAF project files into the required system folders and integrating
it into the other programs. Somebody give me some ideas. I also don't seem to be able
to uninstall some of the programs that are tied into it. Uninstall command not accepted.
There is no internet activity going on when I am not logged in to anything.

*e-mail me on this one, let's not waste forum space on it.
 [email]gamerthom@yahoo.com[/email

In the mean time I'm going to start copying some it into wordpad and printing it out so I
can take a better look at it. Although some of the programming code is beyond me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:42:13 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 11:19:24 pm »
Duskrider,
  I think it's how the emotions are set at load up time,  Grantnz and I are discussing this at Virtualhumans,
there should be links to it at Zabaware, our posts are under 3D graphics.  If your interested in this check it out, he seems to have a good idea of what is going on.  You can open the haps and change some of the settings to get what you would like for a look that you like.  Also there are some mood haps people have found or made that I'd like to include, and I should mention there isn't a surprized hap that the brain scripting refers to.
Carl2

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by 8pla.net (AI News )
Today at 01:02:11 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

286 Guests, 2 Users
Users active in past 15 minutes:
8pla.net
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles