Self Learning Java Program (AI)

• 4 Replies

jasper

• Roomba
Self Learning Java Program (AI)
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:13:50 am »
Hey guy’s im new here, I’ve been looking around the internet lately about AI's, Self thinking or learning.

I have created this thread just to get everyone’s opinions about this and maybe be able to point me in the right direction to learn how to make this possible.

What I would like to do is to make a program that can learn. It doesn’t have to think for its self at this stage even tho learning could be counted as thinking in a way but any way. I would prefer to have this done in java.. why you ask, well it’s the programming language I understand more than the others.

Don’t get me wrong im not someone that thinks this can all be explained in one reply I know it will take time and effort to achieve this. What I would like is to be pointed in the right directions to help me learn how this could be done.

What would I like this AI to learn. Well.. I was thinking for it to read information like maybe ebooks, pdf, word or even information found on the internet. I would like it to take this information in, so lets say if it read a ebook on genetics and I asked it a question revolved around that, it could give me an answer.

I do not know if this is even possible or has been done. This is what I think something’s that would need to be put into the program:
-English language (it would have to understand the English language and be able to read it)
 this could be done by having a English dictionary on a readable database for the program.

-Files where it would store the information it has learned. (kinda like the brain i guess)

I feel that I should no more on what should be done to achieve this but sadly im abit stuck I guess this is a complex idea. I have seen these chatbots but that is kinda not what im going for but would probably still be necessary to have in the program because I would ask it questions on what it has learned.
 Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, the new guy

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: Self Learning Java Program (AI)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:27:12 pm »
Hi Jasper

I'm not an expert by any means but it seems to me that you are describing a pattern matching chat bot type program.

In a nut shell:

You would submit to your java script a question and it would then search the database (brain) for matching keywords and reply with the most relevant answer it can find.

The ability to learn or copy new information to the database can be a tricky one, making the bot learn the relevant and most important part of the content would be my top priority. 

Probably not much help but I think that is what you are looking at creating.

Welcome to Dreams. 

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »
Jasper,

Welcome to AI Dreams!

What you describe seems to almost be a common thread of hopeful discussion among AI enthusiasts although it has remained, for the most part, somewhat elusive.
There are a few bots that perform various self-learning tasks like UltraHal, Prelude, Kari and a few others but these bots usually perform these as received instruction or taken from the context of conversational inputs. The inputs are often directed to a table where info is broken down, stored and remains ready for future retrieval as a matched pattern or useful within the context of a sentence that is "deems" pertinent. There are some conversational entities from eJtalk (Cassandra - Youtube) and Cognitive Code's Silvia - youtube) that perform on a very (seemingly) high level.

While a lot of the ALICE, Pandora and other AIML based bot masters claim their bot "learns" it usually means that yes, their bot CAN learn IF the botmaster inputs the information into the bot's database for future usage. There really is no self directed learning and I dare say that most of the "other" bots are able to do as much (on their own).

These are still chatbots...software. Most have no idea at all as to what the color blue actually is or love or hammer, other than some definition that has been placed in their database to be realized and recalled if needed. The other thing they often do know, is the usage of certain words and phrases although, a genuine "understanding" is still not happening. They are not living entities, but some are way better than others at providing the illusion of intelligence and that seems to be the "rub" in AI circles.

We award Prizes and medals at our own attempts to "fool ourselves" and we praise ourselves in doing so.

Without meaning to sound sour or callous I have had an ongoing enthusiasm and chat-a-holic behavior for several decades with hundreds of bots. I have always been searching for, patiently chatting, hoping to find or discover that one bot that seems more "in tune" or that "gets it", where others fall short. I have been pleasantly surprised over these years many times and often caught completely off guard as my jaw dropped, all the while thinking, now THAT was cool!! How'd it do THAT? ;)

Hopefully, with more and more bots being developed and a greater number of resources being available, it's likely only a matter of time before we ourselves are the ones that are ultimately fooled by some very astute bot(s).

Perhaps it will be one of yours! - Good luck!!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

jasper

• Roomba
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:40:07 am »
Ok thank you guys for the reply, I will have a look around at those chatbots and videos you have mentioned. Hopfully they could help me out with what i want to achieve.

Thanks again

Jasper

NickyBlue

• Roomba
    • Cosmos - A Quest!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:38:31 pm »
Jasper you seems to be a guy I was looking for. Are you alive? I mean still active on this forum. Maybe we can find something reasonable. :)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

298 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles