Future Event Prediction with AI

• 4 Replies

s.jackson

• Roomba
Future Event Prediction with AI
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm new here :)
I'm currently working on a project I find very hard to do just by my own.
Predicting Future Events using text mining and datasets such as GDELT, with AI
Does anyone have any idea how can I start? Or maybe there have been similar works before?

Thanks  :)

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: Future Event Prediction with AI
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »
Welcome!

It's certainly the rage of the age with Google, Amazon and other companies practically knowing our every move before we do. It's almost scary in a perverse and pervasive sort of way. The late Janice Joplin said it best, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose." - (Me and Bobby McGee).
We practically had no freedom left along with morality, manners, shame, etc.

But hey, I didn't mean to rain on your parade as I'm sure your intentions are honorable (right?) ;)

While we might be able to offer some insight here, do check out www.chatbots.org as they have some members who eat this sort of thing for breakfast.

Hopefully someone here can /will chime in on your quest.

Best of luck and again welcome!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »
Something came to mind like this a few years back where a program was claimed to be predicting events.  It might be this I am thinking about :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Bot

There's also a little article here that might interest :

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/sep/11/charliue-brooker-computer-predicts-future

I don't think either is what I am thinking about but hey, maybe some research may turn up others.

Bragi

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Neural network design blog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:45 am »
That's a tough nut to crack indeed. Here are some tips that could help you on your way:
-from my kaggle experiences, I have learned that n-grams are very well suited as a first step for processing text in order to do predictions.
-you're probably going to need a lot of training data, so the GDELT data set will probably be very helpful (although I don't know this data set personally). Usually, you split up these data set in 2: about 66% for training your algorithms, the rest to use for verification.
-Some good algorithms to consider: decision trees (and it's simpler cousin the decision tree), Bayesian neural nets (although these can be very hard), naive bayes classifiers might also be helpful. I haven't yet worked with hidden markov models so no idea of they can help,...
-In general, I find it very hard to predict which algorithm will give the best results, so things probably need testing.
-scikit is a very popular python based library that already implements a lot of machine learning algorithms, so that's a nice place to start experimenting.

NickyBlue

• Roomba
    • Cosmos - A Quest!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:47:51 pm »
What kinda Future Events prediction have you in mind? I mean, predicting where user going during conversation with bot or just like woodo magic of oracle? ;-) First can be done to quite extend but other one.....hehe I just dunno ..smile.... maybe GOD can only tell. So resurecting your religious beliefs might be good idea. Who knows, GOD makes you the choosen one..... ;-)

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

319 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 324. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles