Storing abstract concepts.

• 2 Replies

DisQ

• Roomba
Storing abstract concepts.
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:45:27 pm »
What are your thoughts on how abstract concepts are stored in the (A.I.) brain?

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: Storing abstract concepts.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:37 am »
Welcome!

You need to provide a bit of explanation. In which brain? There are lots of AI engines and several different types and methods or storing data, especially abstract data.

Would this data be reused at a later date in the same or similar manner?

Is the data abstract in terms of the user or would it be applicable to all potential users?

How much of the date needs to be "understood" by the bot or could it simply be inferred? (The bot recognizes the word and its usage but not necessarily its meaning in real terms - like the color blue sky or a red tulip). Colors have little real world association for a bot but the meaning of the subject sky or tulip in this example can be understood by a bot).

Would the data benefit from being enclosed loosely in a database or should it be structured and inserted in a table for easier indexing and extraction when needed?

Face it, at the present, there are simply some things that the best bots do not and cannot comprehend in a real world sense of meaning and usage. It may never know what love or understanding or emotion or a knowing smile that signifies acceptance really is but we can allow it to make certain conditional connections between objects. This gives the bot a pseudo knowledge base of "understanding" from our world.

This is an interesting topic and should be tossed around a bit more by others here as well.

Welcome again and thanks for bringing up the topic! O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

DisQ

• Roomba
Re: Storing abstract concepts.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:43 am »
Answer to your first question: In the human brain or the A.I. brain that simulates the human brain.

I am interested in the most basic functions of the A.I. brain. The 'how it works' part.

An example of an abstract concept in the simplest form I can think of is the following.

Start: Fully functioning A.I. brain without any knowledge.
Give it some data. Lets say the seperate letters A, B and C.
Lets assume that at some point it inputs the letter A into a device it also took knowledge of.
It only knows that the device exists, not what it does.
The only function of the device is to send back whatever input it gets.
So, the A.I. inputs the letter A and the device send the letter A back to the A.I.
Then the letter B gets sent and is then also returned.
After that I want the A.I. brain to hold the abstract concept linked to the particular device that if it gives the device an input it will get that same input send back.
This would mean that when it sends the letter C to the device, I want to see a process in the A.I. brain that expects to get the letter C back.

Currently I am just interested in how that concept would be stored.

P.s.: I am aware that the A.I. needs an extra concept of what a device is and that something can happen when you sent something to it. It also needs the concept of actually being able to send something to a device.
For now, i just need a starting point and the above example is it, lets just see where it leeds us.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:07:33 pm by DisQ »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

232 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 282. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles