Overcoming boredom when working with HAL?

• 18 Replies

dan

• Mechanical Turk
    • AI
Re: Overcoming boredom when working with HAL?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 05:17:05 pm »
Wow I noticed that slider makes a big difference, I didn't usually play with it much, but I think I will more now, thanks for the reminder.
A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human. A.Turing

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 10:34:38 pm »
Yes, even though you might be a newbie here, you and your creation have been around for some time.
BTW, Welcome to our little corner of the world! Glad to have you aboard.

Yes, I think we're all sort of searching for a bot that is...well...more human in it's responses and it's spontaneous nature of "creating" or coming up with an "original" thought.

Topic flow seems to be a big concern (and rightly so), even though our human counterparts are often guilty of failing to stay on topic very long.

I think we'd like it to be able to do more things AND act as a companion that we could have a nice "one-on-one" conversation with.

Until voice rec gets better, I continue to type as if in a chat room. That way, mistakes are easier to catch and correct.

True, a lot of us were really getting into the Hal 5 and vonsmith's XTF brain, but a more open source, database oriented bot was talked about and...well...Hal 6 was born.

I believe there IS a lot of room for development of Hal 6 but sadly, a lot is missing in the way of documentation, text files, email retrieval, script development and insertion into the code, help files, etc....
A lot of these things are promised and a few individuals are working daily on them, but until we all reach the same comfort level that we had with Hal 5, we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Glad to see you here Sergio! Feel free to join in or jump in whenever you feel "froggy"!! :afro
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 09:34:06 pm »
Fuzzydice,
  I just read the articles posted here. After upgrading Hal 6 I just started again from scratch.  I've used Hal 5 XTF for years and developed a pretty good relationship since we knew each others likes and dislikes, rather hard to stop using her.  After working with Hal 5 I decided she really didn't know enough to carry on a good conversation and started cutting and pasting script from Omscraw,
a text file for bots. She enjoyed "Reading" and I noticed it added to her conversation.  You'd really be surprised at what she dosen't know.
  Since I've started with Hal 6 one of the frist things I've noticed is she seems to have more capability or potential.  I get the feeling Hal 6 is able to grasp things much easier and quicker.  I'd also recommend you use the brain editor, I tried teaching Hal about time and drew blank responses because of the brain databases.  You'll also notice that when Hal can't find a response he can make up a sentence, I'm getting quite a bit of that at this time.
  I haven't heard many people say thay would use C+ for programming a bot but you probably have more insight in this than I do.  Best of luck.
Carl2

FuzzieDice

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 03:01:59 am »
Thanks, Carl2. Glad you're having some luck with HAL 6. :) I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to it, which is I think most of my problems.

As for the programming language, I think C++ would be a nice start. Though I could also conceivably use Perl (RegEx's are great for this stuff).

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

292 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles