Automata

• 9 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Automata
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:55 pm »
The latest release of an AI / Robotics based Sci-Fi Thriller staring Antonio Banderas alone with some other well known actors in this futuristic encounter with one possible future.
Looks like it has promise.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:39:04 pm by Art »
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Automata
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »
I had seen the trailer for this, it does look like it might be good.  8)

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:30:42 am »
I watched it on Netflix.   Netflix said it had two and a half stars.   I am so glad I ignored that rating.  I would give it four stars easily, because I certainly enjoyed it.  I was never unhappy with any part of the film.  This is a good robot movie to watch.   The special effects were quite convincing in terms of robotics.
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:03 pm »
Watching it after I eat! Will update this post for impressions! :D

Update:
  Truly amazing! Left me thinking a lot in the end. The writers behind this movie have definitely done their research about A.I. - limits, possibilities, dangers and concepts. But the end, although not flashy and visually appealing, was a great finally.
By the way I understood it, the movie wanted to show us a concept of nature that takes it beyond Sci-Fi - nothing lasts forever, but whenever something ends it gives a beginning to something new.
This may help those who did not understand to point of the pet-like robot the Automata created in the end - they in fact created new life, which was expected after the questions Cleo (one of the robots) asked the main character somewhere near the culmination.

It also shows us that even though set loose and uncontrolled, the machine without hard-coded protocols didn't turn out to be an evil mastermind. It proves the point that no control doesn't mean machines are going to turn against us, just like control doesn't mean that they aren't. We become what life teaches us and at one point you either become the hero or the villain - so does the robot.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:50:16 am by Ultron7 »
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 04:21:15 am »
That was well put Ultron! Nicely done! I just finished watching Automata and thought it also captured man's ignorance to that which he does not understand. It's funny how, when backed into a corner, man's logic, compassion and understanding goes out the window. Thugs will always be thugs.

The story line was nicely written and certainly provide a message, or at least one possible scenario.

I also liked the initial 2 Protocols which were akin to Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, to a degree. It's amazing what the 'ghost in the machine' can do when left to it's own devices. ^-^

I'd give it a solid 4.5 out of 5 on the movie meter! It would have been a 5 based on technical application but some of the acting was well...4.5 is really good and your personal rating might even place it a bit higher. It is definitely worth the price of admission or your $7.99 a month for Roku / Netflix subscription. O0
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:21:33 pm by Art »

Mr.Fox

• Bumblebee
    • Dreamwalker Software
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:25:21 am »
One of the best robotic/AI films ever made, criminally underrated!

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »
I never did see this one. I'll have to catch up on it.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:59:48 am »
I also watched Autómata recently... Wooooo yes, it's just one of the best movies on AI ever made, right behind Matrix, which is not a film but a post-modern bible  8)

I love the low-tech look of robots, I love the fucked-up world (so realistic), I love Wallace. And I agree with you Ultron: It proves the point that no control doesn't mean machines are going to turn against us, just like control doesn't mean that they aren't.

And... it didn't make me sick. Most AI movies give me nausea (Spielberg's AI, Transcendence, Ex-Machina, ...)
Not vomiting after a movie is important to me.  ;D

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »
@Zero

I agree except for the part of getting sick...only real bad acting does that to me. (emotionally sick...not physically mind you).
Loved the parallel of the Matrix to many biblical references, symbolism and the whole good vs evil thing. The mention of the various versions also struck a chord in me that I've often pondered that this has all been done before. We're actually humanity version 5 or some such....

My other favorite movie was the classic, "Blade Runner" with those wonderful Replicants, especially Rachel, the replicant girl he fell in love with.

Those who never saw Blade Runner, and are Sci-Fi buffs, need to do so. Just my take.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:40:32 am by Art »

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 10:34:40 am »
Blade Runner? You're absolutely right, it is a very good movie, one of the few you have to watch at least once in your life... When I first watched Automata, the beginning reminded me of Blade Runner.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

235 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 286. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles