New to UltraHal

• 2 Replies

Iko

New to UltraHal
« on: November 10, 2006, 06:26:56 am »
Hi,

I've just gotten the trial version of Ultra Hal, and I had some questions about it.  I'm not sure if this is the right forum (or site even) to ask this, so if not, please let me know. 

My sister is fifteen and has a learning disability.  She needs to be reminded of things a lot, but now that she's a teenager she doesn't like to listen to people.  I've been thinking that if I set up a program that she could "talk" to, and it could remind her of things, she might do better with that.  I'm trying Ultra Hal now, and I know that it takes a lot of work to get it all set up, but would it be possible to teach it to do things like this, and how long would that take?  Also, is it possible to only let it give certain responses?  Like, for example, if she said it was a cold day, could it remind her to wear her blue jacket?  I'd like to be able to set it up so that it could only answer certain kinds of questions that could be easily changed when needed, and not really chat as much, but I'm not sure if UltraHal is the best program for that.  If not, is there another program that you know of that would work well for this? 

Thanks,
Iko

admin

• Administrator
  • Nomad
Re: New to UltraHal
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 12:08:35 pm »
Hi Iko, welcome to DG and yes we do cover UltraHal and there are members here who program and tinker with Hal.

UltraHal is a 'conversation simulator' and tends to draw any related response rather than one that may be expected or desired.  Having said that it is possible to program Hal to do more or less what you want it to and there are 'plug-ins' and extra code available at the www.zabaware.com home site.

ALICE, the other main bot we cover here, replies from a set of responses entered (coded) by the user and because of that tends to be more reliable for required responses.

I think you are wise to get your choice of system right at the start.  I suggest using ALICE for what you want to do, for the reasons above.  Here are a couple of links for that:

ALICE bot Home Page

AI Nexus- AIML site (ALICE Based)
AI Nexus Forum - the aboves forum.

'AIML' is the name for the coding or script that you use to program the bot's repsonses with.

Other users may be able to offer a better opinion, but any route to a custom bot will require some work - ALICE may prove to be the less trouble as there are a lot more people programming these bots.  What do we reckon is the best route folks ?

Regards,
Freddy

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: New to UltraHal
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:53:20 pm »
One problem about Alice is that the ones that I have chatted with had no sense of time therefore it would prove difficult to remind someone of a pending appointment. Alice also requires one to learn how to script AIML in order to make it an effective bot.

Hal knows the time and date and if given such can and will remind one of a pending appointment. IF...THEN...Statements can also be used in a case like this.

IF it is raining (or going to rain)
THEN I should wear my blue coat (or take an umbrella)

Hal will then understand the connection. Hal will not know whether it is raining or not outside unless it is told (obviously! Unless someone writes a plug-in that has Hal check the local weather conditions then decide what to say based on that criteria)

What your daughter might need would be a scheduler program. Outlook has a nice one built in and can be modified fairly easily.

Let's face it, there is no one do-it-all program. If she wants to chat, then Alice or Hal or several other bots might provide a good confidential "friend".

If she needs reminded of events, dates, things to do, etc., a scheduler might be better suited.

For matters of excercising good judgement...there's always the parental program (it usually wins anyway.) ;)

I certainly wish you and your daughter well which ever way you decide to venture but by all means, don't be a stranger here. We have a great group of people doing some cool things with AI and it's development.

Good luck! :afro

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

226 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 274. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles