Budgee robot assistant

• 17 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Budgee robot assistant
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:51 pm »
This one can follow a person around a store to assist by carrying items. It's about $1400.00 USD if you'd like or need an assistant to help you.

http://www.wsj.com/video/this-robot-assistant-carries-all-your-stuff/369AF7FC-C160-46E5-8862-97FE08D0ADF5.html

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
Re: Budgee robot assistant
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:40:19 am »
That robot needs some work a person would trip trying to keep it following along plus you still have to get things out of it once you get to your final destination.
So sue me

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:47:55 am »
It's a glorified shopping cart that follows you along.

Many years back, someone invented a motorized golf caddy (those wheeled devices that hold the bag and clubs), that would follow the golfer around the course. Nice in theory but not so in practice.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:48:44 am »
lol i know it is but when you have a doctor that gives you a lecture about your back everytime you get stubborn and carry things yourself it is not of much use to me lol.
So sue me

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:41:54 am »
Yes but if one has back problems such as that then one definitely should not even contemplate something as spine twisting as golf!!
Believe me, I know! ;)

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:53:00 am »
I think it's overpriced for what is (basically) a Roomba or something you can build with an Arduino starter kit (and a bigger frame).

It would help support the price if it didn't stop when not supposed to, as the reviewer said.
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »
A fancy shopping cart that can not help anyone living off a pover pension. Also too low. You don't want to strain elderly people's worn-out spines and lift heavy stuff in and out of their robot cart, repeatedly. Marketing it to elderly people is clearly an afterthought, or an excuse for having built it.
When I say roboticists that claim to be making robots "for the elderly" are talking rubbish, this is exactly what I mean.
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:05:01 pm »
How about a shopping cart that has a series of rollers / small wheels along the bottom of the cage and a hinged at the bottom, drop forward front. One could simply wheel the cart up to their vehicle be it an SUV, wagon, auto, open the front hinged cage and give your items a gentle shove and out they roll onto your car seat. No motors, electrical wiring, mechanical springs and things. Just a simple hinge and some rollers. Better shopping, less strain and stress.
Hopefully these carts could have their bottom slightly higher than say a standard SUV or Land Rover type vehicle, the rollers and drop down front "ramp" would work far better. Just a thought.

Now that my parents are elderly and I'm not far from there, I often think in different directions than when I was younger and relied on high tech to solve everything. ;)

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:42 pm »
When I say roboticists that claim to be making robots "for the elderly" are talking rubbish, this is exactly what I mean.

Yeah, excuses for playing around and wasting budget / funds. It can seem offensive too, the fact that they are saying they actually care about the elderly or that they are even thinking about them. Older peeps mostly have trouble with today's essential tech and introducing to them a new lifestyle, artificial intelligence etc. just seems, pointless. I for one, would not give a **** about the tech they offer me when I'm in my 60s, 70s... Sure, I may be a tech freak now but I am sure I won't be in the future. Even if I were interested, the excitement comes when you are young and in good physical condition. Also at youth we have the motivation and desire to learn, while as we age we wish to settle down with what we have.

Okay off topic so Ultron out.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:29 am »
Technology when first introduced, is always expensive until more items have been manufactured / produced and initial costs have been recovered and profits made at which point, costs will come down.

Sadly, items like prosthetic devices (hands, arms, legs), electric wheelchairs, various health and hygiene items always seem to be incredibly priced! Know why? Insurance! The company will pay so the manufacturer sets the price point high to gather as much initial production money as it can.
This goes on beyond medical appliances. Next visit to the dentist, when you find out how much your procedure is going to cost, ask him / her how much if you were to pay cash out-of-pocket? Surprise...there will likely be a substantial difference...because the insurance company will pay what they deem to be "reasonable and customary" costs. No wonder the insurance execs get rich.

OK...enough of this. Now where is that you man who printed a plastic prosthetic hand for an extremely low cost! And it works! O0

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 11:10:40 am »
I don't mind the development of technology, I mind the pretence of benevolence (or the stupidity of self-delusion) when the product is clearly still decades away from being affordable. How much have computers dropped in price in the last 10 years? Half, maybe? I still consider them expensive. Heck, Playstation consoles have only increased in price.

Like your example with the prothetic hand, the only person I have seen genuinely develop a robot of use to the elderly, was a hobbyist who built a small spoon-feeding robotic arm (think hospital beds). He deliberately tried to make it low-cost and unintimidating from the design stage, and had considered how elderly would feel about using it.
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:04:02 pm »
Point well taken Don but look at memory and storage devices. Years ago a 550 meg hard drive was $500+.
I now hold 16 gigs of non moveable storage on a keychain (flash drive). Some computers now have SSD's
(Solid State Drives) which are still a tad pricey but they too are steadily declining.

With computers, it's the processing speed that can still be accelerated and not so much the storage. The
computer is still waiting, for the most part, for the hardware to do it's thing. The SSD's helped a lot with
that dilemma. We always clamor for the latest, greatest, fastest thing almost like fan boys to a comic con.

Hopefully, we'll stop putting up with inflated healthcare costs with some much needed watchdog groups
that help hold the keepers of the purse strings at bay. The people who are suffering don't have time to wait!

Any Robotic assistants do need to have a secure level of functionality, dependability and cost efficiency. They
also need a useful level of AI implanted within the device. Perhaps the device could be monitored via cloud
or locally provided a secure enough protocol could be established and maintained.

We should be vigilant and remain hopeful for new, cost effective developments.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 01:17:18 am »
Hey now I am 57 and I do not have one bit of trouble understanding technology. But then again i was raised by two very intelligent people so maybe that might be a factor lol.
So sue me

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 01:21:10 am »
Robots now adays have the disadvantage of power supply as well. You can not make a nuclear powered robot for the home and solar power is inefficient  in the home.
So sue me

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »
I know recently in my country a little girl died of a disease that could have been easily cured in the neighboring countries. There was a donation line (which sadly wasn't too helpful) but the problem was that the high-ranking medical officials in the country, including the ministry and minister of healthcare himself, ignored the problem despite being contact and seeing it on the news every day.

The least they could have done (and should have done) is to finance the operation which wasn't too expensive even for a private party to back up. But nope, nobody cares unless their public face is at stake.

So I believe (and will continue to believe until I give out my last breath) that those people and the alike should be torched to death. And I also believe that those advertising products and 'inventing' tech for the healthcare industry with a single goal of profit, do not deserve a life.

Remember this and pass it on towards the population of the future: as long as people like that exist, as long as you can smell and feel the greed in your soul, there will always be war and humanity will never prosper.

P.S. That is the last time I discuss 'inventions' of this type and the last time I waste keystrokes on filthy souls. My hate towards some things on this planet has no limits!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

373 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles