The Daleks...I mean the K-5's are here or at least in silicone valley, for now!!

• 21 Replies

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
Well, I never said I liked the design. It's better than most robot designs I've see (not including fiction), but it's... uninspired. Functional with default modern white & curvature.

I've been wondering... How does a round Roomba vacuum square corners?
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
I guess it has to REALLY SUCK!! Oh...I mean, possibly with those long side rotating brushes that "sweep" debris to the front or something like that.
At least my Neat-O does have a square front, turns nicely to handle corners rather well!

It also uses laser mapping technology to detect where it's been and where it needs to go. It uses the lasers to detect objects in it's path as well so it doesn't have to Bump into things in order to navigate! Go Neat-O!!

It's been a family member and my wife's electronic assistant sharing the task of vacuuming!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
While a cool toy to have and very educative project to make, having a future with such machines is not as good as it may look...

Laziness begins from one thing and expands throughout our lives.
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
@Ultron7:  More often than not, today's students... Don't even know how to read handwriting, written in script!
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
I guess we have to cope with that. Maybe one day a genius will find a way to reverse that process, because I am completely out of large-scale ideas on that topic.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
With all due respect, it is NOT out of laziness that I purchased my Neat-O vacuum cleaner. It was purchased to help my wife who is suffering with a lot of ailments. She is not able to lug the upright vac constantly up and down the stairs to the family room in order to vacuum the carpet.

After months of research and comparisons, I decided on getting a Neat-O robotic vacuum to help her. I still work full time and often from dark to dark, depending on the project. The Neat-O actually picks up debris that the upright missed. It hardly needs maintenance other than to empty it's dust/debris bin. It can recharge itself as needed, operate on a preassigned schedule or on demand, eats very little electricity, doesn't require breaks like holidays, sick days, vacation days, etc. My wife loves me for buying it for her and it for the great job it does!

So, if using technology makes us lazy, then I guess we're lazy. If technology helps make us more productive, free to pursue other avenues then so be it.
One man's tech is another man's shackle.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
I didn't say we are trying to make tech that can do some jobs because we are lazy - we make this tech because it can help (as you said) with making us more productive and letting us focus, among other things. But the problem is that most tech is not used as intended. Sorry if this discussion somehow insulted you.

I would like to say one thing, however. I have learned this from my senpai during training. After long seminars it's the youngest (in rank) members that can remain(if they want) after it ends to clean to dojo. In Japan (well, 'medieval' Japan anyway) being allowed to clean the dojo was considered an honor and the thought and believed that when you are cleaning the dojo you are in fact cleaning your heart, but provided that what you do is done with love.

These people had a very deep philosophy which we have a hard time understanding today. Cleaning a dojo can for one mean cleaning your heart from your ego and bad thoughts.

So maybe my point was that maintaining our homes is a natural thing and that we should not step away from our 'natural' chores because through them we form a stronger connection with people, our homes and nature.

I do agree however that technology should help people with physical problems and those who need to focus on other things (maybe those who overwork and need to maintain a house on their own) but it is definitely not meant for everyone.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

345 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles